Home Dota 2

Zambash's Works

Zambash
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Zambash polycounter lvl 4
Hello everyone I am pretty new to posting here but have lurked for a long time, today I finished my first complete item for DotA 2, intended for the Spring 2014 event, and I learned a lot. My biggest take-away is that I need to be more simplistic with my textures, up until now I have been primarily a 2D artist and am just starting to learn the 3D side of things, and A lot of the detail with the texture of this item ended up being lost when the textures were scaled down to the 256x256 game-res. Anyways, it's a wrist-weapon for PA, here is the link to the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213847087

I added images of the diffuse and normal map there for viewing.

I hope to improve greatly and make much better stuff in the future, which I will post here as well.

My second work is complete(I think it turned out considerably better than the first):
DKi4bcU.jpg

Replies

• Jewish Zebra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks nice! Good Job
  • cagdasx44
  • mrpresident
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrpresident polycounter lvl 10
    I wouldn't say it's stolen, they're both katars but other than that the designs are completely different.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wouldn't say it's stolen, they're both katars but other than that the designs are completely different.

thanks for clarifying, however the katars design is without the shield or something cover on, well I'm not sure want to let it slip or what , I know the major design and motive is different but this katar on PA is a new idea for me for thought so long when doing my PA concept... well i let others voice out first then...
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    While i agree that the designs are different enough, I have myself stopped from doing similar concepts to other artists to respect the "space" i guess its a matter of perspective
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai wrote: »
    While i agree that the designs are different enough, I have myself stopped from doing similar concepts to other artists to respect the "space" i guess its a matter of perspective

what i worry is after i submit to workshop the comments will be like "you copycat" yada yada those comment because i'm still refining my design and submit it later. :(
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    It's just a longbladed covered katar... Those are super popular in the warcraft universe.

It's got similar design choices, but if you compare it to couriers, how many submissions has there been with animal X with a satchel and shield.

@cagdasx44, next time it might be healthier/more appropriate to private message those involved instead of accusing someone in the open. That kind of assumption can really sink a career..
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah exactly, its hardly stealing a design so don't accuse someone of being a thief. The thread creator's katar is much simpler and has a yin yang whereas Agito's is based off a dragon. I don't think its fair to say that katar's are now off limits because Agito is working on one.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Yeah exactly, its hardly stealing a design so don't accuse someone of being a thief. The thread creator's katar is much simpler and has a yin yang whereas Agito's is based off a dragon. I don't think its fair to say that katar's are now off limits because Agito is working on one.

He said that maybe because katars still fresh/ first time for PA .
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But your idea was unique and with his item is published, your idea lost its unique.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    It's just a longbladed covered katar... Those are super popular in the warcraft universe.

It's got similar design choices, but if you compare it to couriers, how many submissions has there been with animal X with a satchel and shield.

@cagdasx44, next time it might be healthier/more appropriate to private message those involved instead of accusing someone in the open. That kind of assumption can really sink a career..

This.

Cagdas, before you accuse someone in their own thread, you should speak then in private to clarify the things.

I had "similar" situation with a faceless void I designed, appeared one after me with basically the same idea (because we took the same inspiration), I just sent a message to the guy and he changed his design. Which is not the case here.

Being professional and educated, is the key of being sucessful. Don't try to burn other people, or call then thieves before clarifying the things. This causes a really bad impression of you.
  • cagdasx44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magno and heboltz you are right, after ı looked to agito's page ı realised ı was wrong.

I am really sorry Zambash.
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's okay, I didn't realize someone was already working on a wrist-blade style weapon for PA, I'm fairly new to these forums so I haven't read a ton of threads and I didn't realize someone else was working on something similar. I'm sorry if I stepped on someone's toes with this, could someone link to the other person's thread so I can check out their design?

Aside from that, does anyone have any comments/critique about my item so that I can improve future submissions? Like I said I realize I got way to small/complex with the texture and that kinda got ruined when it scaled down to game-res, but are there any other obvious issues I should work on?
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started blocking in an idea for a Storm set, I won't show my concepts because they aren't much to look at, I pretty much just draw shapes for my concepts. Here is what I've got so far:

kD1mO3d.jpg
    NSsxf1g.jpg
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uploaded a new weapon for centaur, linked in OP, check it out!
  • Zambash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sculpt for a collab with Rock on a pudge hook:
    0S0TJQf.jpg