Home Dota 2

Seal Courier

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Xajai polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys! I thought id just share this lil guy i have been working on for some hours. It was a really old concept that i thought id rework now that i have a better understanding of zbrush.

I can animate and rig, but honestly I haven't done it in years and i would be more comfortable having someoene else do it! anyone interested?
BxUVSip.jpg

Replies

• heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    A seal!! This could be fun. I wouldn't mind having a whack at the animation and rigging :)

I'd love to chat about it if you'd wanna team up!
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    To be honest, I think you can spice it up a bit more. Where's the creative twist on the concept? So far it' 'just' a seal carrying items? How does it fly? What's the appeal?

Also, on the anatomy side of things, the lower jaw seems very flimsy and it seems to be too long with the rear flippers not being big/expressive enough.

But again, the big question is always: what makes this more than just an animal carrying something? So far, the most successful courier have brought in some kind of a twist to the concept (Llama with picknick basket, booze peddling red panda, gnome carrying a pig, half-dog half-treat shagbark etc)
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Of course, im always up for collabs, send me a msg!
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Spudnik wrote: »
    To be honest, I think you can spice it up a bit more. Where's the creative twist on the concept? So far it' 'just' a seal carrying items? How does it fly? What's the appeal?

Also, on the anatomy side of things, the lower jaw seems very flimsy and it seems to be too long with the rear flippers not being big/expressive enough.

But again, the big question is always: what makes this more than just an animal carrying something? So far, the most successful courier have brought in some kind of a twist to the concept (Llama with picknick basket, booze peddling red panda, gnome carrying a pig, half-dog half-treat shagbark etc)

Of course! and i agree, im still working on it. It's been just some hours since i started it and im still exploring options and ideas. He would fly by swimming in the air, which i think would look rather cool, even cooler if paired with some nice trail particles.

However, even though i see the point in your comment, i still think couriers shouldnt be incredibly complicated, el gato (in his walking form) and some other couriers that are just animals carrying stuff are some of my favourite ones because they are simple.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    So after retopo, and doing most changes, i came to this model of the seal, ignore the obvious baking errors on the back flippers, but what really bothers me is that big seam on the middle! the way i worked was by retopolo in zbrush (i know theres other tools, just wanted to use zbrush to get familiar with the process), but only did half of it, then exported the tool, and used xnormal to get the details, imported to maya, duplicated, merged verts and all that jazz... but the normals keep showing this big seam... anyone knows how to work arround this without having to go into photoshop and painting in the base normal color on the seams? thanks!!!
    RVQgrEZ.jpg
  • t1mu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    t1mu polycounter lvl 8
    try to flip green channel of normal map. select green channel and ctrl + i
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Crazy! that didn't fix the problem, but it looks better now.
    I think ill just try to retopo the whole seal in another package and see, it might take less time than trying to figure this out. thanks anyways
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Did you bake to only half the mesh?

Try this: Take your half retopo'd mesh, duplicate it, mirror it. Grab the UV's and move them over exactly by 1, outside of the default UV space. Now combine your meshes and weld your verts. For something organic like this, make it all one smoothing group. Bake your normals, apply them.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    I just tried doing that... xnormal freaked out on me haha. something about the obj being out of bounds? idk, do u know where i can read more about moving the UV's +1? ive seen a lot of ppl do it and i have no idea how it affects anything.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    For baking normals you can just move your mirrored UVs outside of the UV area it doesn't need to be +1 exact, what is most important is that original part need to be inside UV rectangle and don't overlap with mirrored part.

However what I see in your images I think you baked normals on mirrored mesh with vertices in the middle not connected, and later after bake you have connected them?
    Truth is if you bake using only one half or mirrored and not connected half you cant later connect them. If you bake using mirrored and connected half you need to have them later also connected. Every change in low poly smoothing affects normals.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what Konras said! Yeah I said exactly 1 because I use the outside half for my mirrored UV's instead of a temp mesh that was just for the bake. Just a habit, nothing particularly important.
  • Xajai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xajai polycounter lvl 3
    Konras wrote: »
    For baking normals you can just move your mirrored UVs outside of the UV area it doesn't need to be +1 exact, what is most important is that original part need to be inside UV rectangle and don't overlap with mirrored part.

However what I see in your images I think you baked normals on mirrored mesh with vertices in the middle not connected, and later after bake you have connected them?
    Truth is if you bake using only one half or mirrored and not connected half you cant later connect them. If you bake using mirrored and connected half you need to have them later also connected. Every change in low poly smoothing affects normals.

I see! yeah thats exactly what i did, right now its too late to give it another go, but ill def try it tomorrow morning and post the results, i have a better idea of what to do now and how to troubleshoot it, thanks guys!