Home General Discussion

Most hated hotkey

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    McGreed wrote: »
    In UDK pressing CTRL + S to save work, only to discover/remember that hotkey doesn't save but create BSP blocks... Really shit when the program crashes and you think, "ah whatever, I saved just a moment before... MOTHERFUCKERRRRRRR!"

And yeah to the selection tool changing when pressing W more then once, damn that pisses me off everytime.

! omg forgot about that one hahaha, and then you have 50 yellow boxes somewhere :)
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    Memory wrote: »
    Do you windows key haters not use these useful ones?

Win + D - show desktop
    Win + E - windows explorer
    Win + L - Lock (at work)

Most hated is H in 3dsmax which brings up that laggy garbage object selection thing.

i use keyboards without win keys at home. at work i always pull them out of the keyboard. extra hilarity points for elaborate cursing when someone tries to use my keyboard. :)

i remap unused keys like 'pause' or 'scroll/lock' to the win key function for the rare ocassion where i actually need it. i also remap/duplicate 'alt' to 'alt gr' since the latter again is pretty useless to me.

btw. you can change the 3ds max ini to switch the terrible sluggish scene explorer out for the quick old select dialog. the info is in the forums here somewhere.

as is obvious - i don't have a most-hated hotkey. i either remap or remove the function or in extreme cases rip the damn key out of the keyboard. ;)
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    I have a love-hate relationship with win+D, its great most of the time, except when photoshop minimizes all of your documents because of it, requiring you to ctrl+tab to bring them all back up.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The selection mode changing in Max for various reasons really bites .. is there by chance a way to lock it down somehow? Seriously, I'm never going to use circle select. Ever.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'm not sure why everyone hates the windows key, in windows 7 you can tap it and find any file/folder/app in 2 seconds, pressing it again hides it. Plus win+d and win+e.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    WarrenM wrote: »
    The selection mode changing in Max for various reasons really bites .. is there by chance a way to lock it down somehow? Seriously, I'm never going to use circle select. Ever.
    yeah just remap it to Select Object.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mapping W to Select Object will be problematic to my workflow...
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, mapping W to Select Object will be problematic to my workflow...
    i might be misunderstanding what people are talking about. i've never had W, which is mapped to move by default, change my selection mode.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, spacebar in max has to take the title of most annoying shortcut.

Hey, lets make the biggest most accessible key on the keyboard do the one thing that no one really needs a shortcut for, BRILLIANT!

I set the spacebar to "Maximize Viewport" so it at least allows me to switch viewports quickly.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    ZacD wrote: »
    I'm not sure why everyone hates the windows key, in windows 7 you can tap it and find any file/folder/app in 2 seconds, pressing it again hides it. Plus win+d and win+e.

it sits between CTRL and ALT, two keys we have to use constantly and gets hit accidentially a lot. and if you do that, you lose focus of the app.

btw, you can only find the files that happen to be in indexed places with that rather poor search function. tools like 'everything' are quicker and do a better job at finding files ;)
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i might be misunderstanding what people are talking about. i've never had W, which is mapped to move by default, change my selection mode.
    We covered rebinding Q a few pages back. There is still something else that changes the selection mode though and I don't think anyone has identified it yet. Someone said hitting W repeatedly does it but I can't duplicate that. But several times a session, my selection mode will change and I have NO IDEA why...
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, i see. yeah i've never had that happen.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never? Man, I would sacrifice a goat to figure out what's doing it...
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ctrl+W is quit in most software. But of course ctrl+q/e/a/s/d are generally well used shortcuts. I will never need a native shortcut to quit the application I'm using. Ever. Alt+F4 dies that for everything already.

Most software isn't stable enough to keep itself from crashing out...

Aside from that, spacebar in Max is irritating as hell.
  • SuperDuty455
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperDuty455 polycounter lvl 6
    Every single shortcut in Lectra Modaris back when I used it in school. Not a single one is common with 99% of softwares out there. That feeling when you press Ctrl+C and it does something completely different than "Copy"...Ctrl+Z didn't undo anything either...
    It took me a little while to get used to it because of this.

Other than that I won't be very original, x and space still annoy me in 3DS Max. I also don't like the undo/redo shortcuts in Photoshop. Ctrl+Z should always be "step backward/undo", an Ctrl+Shift+Z should be "step forward/redo", instead of having three different shortcuts for two actions.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the first time you press "x" in 3dsmax, and spend a week smashing your face against your keyboard.
    In 2014 they replaced this with a global search feature, it's actually pretty awesome, it even searches through your custom scripts.

The problem is that everyone has trained themselves to avoid X at all costs (or rebound it to something else, heh).
    EricHall wrote: »
    omg, this. I fucking HATE bridge!! X and spacebar in max was always horrible too, but I think Bridge takes the cake for me.
    What's even sadder is that in the time it takes bridge to launch you can launch another version of photoshop, navigate to the file(s), do your business and close them and then bridge pops up.
    Never? Man, I would sacrifice a goat to figure out what's doing it...
    I wonder if it's a "Keyboard Shortcut Override" thing, where some sub-menu shortcut forces it to happen? I've run into a few of those that have been hard to nail down, or you don't realize they've been triggered until a few commands later.
    /scratches head /shoulder shrug
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    hehe i replaced bridge with a script that just opens a file browser in the current PSD directory
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Yep, spacebar in max has to take the title of most annoying shortcut.

Hey, lets make the biggest most accessible key on the keyboard do the one thing that no one really needs a shortcut for, BRILLIANT!

I set the spacebar to "Maximize Viewport" so it at least allows me to switch viewports quickly.

Yes, spacebar is handy in Maya, but a pain in Max.

The tech artist at my studio was nice enough to write me up a quick script to toggle between World and Local origins when pressed. Really handy.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    AA3D said:
    Ctrl+W in photoshop to exit instead of Ctrl+S to save
    it does ask me if im sure i want to exit : but i have this bad habbit sometimes when something pops up while im really focusing on the thing im painting i dont take the time to read it xD and just hit anything and BAM .... i closed instead of saving ... ffffffffffffff
    Came to post this. Fucking Ctrl+W. 

In what fucking world is Ctrl+W "Close Everything", and why on earth would you put it next to "Save Everything". Thank god you get the warning.

As for 3ds Max, I've remapped every Alpha key + modifiers so long ago I don't remember what any of the horrible ones are. I actually use hide gizmo quite a bit for spline work where it obscures handles and you want to lock axis. I think whatever hotkey locks a mesh pissed me off when I was a student.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    OH.

3ds max modelling:
    1 = Vert
    2 = Edge
    3 = Seam
    4 = Face
    5 = Element
    -
    3ds Max UV Mapping:
    1 = Vert
    2 = Edge
    3 = Face?
    4 ?
    5... No shortcut allowed for element select toggle.

Lets not even get into Ctrl + 1 etc...
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I press Ctrl-W a lot because it's the save command in Blender.  That can encourage a bad habit for other programs evidently :(
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    windows key for me. I'm left-handed,so that's my stylus hand, but them my right hand is usually hovers on the leftside ctrl/shift/alt. Frustratingly easy to hit that damn windows key. I hunted down a keyboard (Logitech G105) with a special toggle button that disables the windows key entirely. Life has been better since then.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    leilei said:
    I press Ctrl-W a lot because it's the save command in Blender.  That can encourage a bad habit for other programs evidently :(
    Doesn't Ctrl+S do the same thing? Unless you have it remapped of course
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    I don't like how some programs use ctrl+y as redo. I prefer ctrl+shift+z
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    center view hotkey - it always seems to be a different one depending on application. So I press the wrong key and totally unexpected things start happening. I hope the UN, the EU or someone else tells those companies to standardize their hotkeys asap.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Any hotkey where its "ctrl/shift/alt" + "a key on the other side of the keyboard"
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Not really a hotkey but a design decision, I hate it that in Maya you need to click away to "commit" an operation like an Extrude.
    You want to press Enter or something to "apply" the operation, it's what you naturally do with programs, but pressing it doesn't do anything. You have to click at some empty space to make the tool pop up go away.

fearian said:
    In what fucking world is Ctrl+W "Close Everything", and why on earth would you put it next to "Save Everything". Thank god you get the warning.
    I think CTRL + W is the "close tab" command, this hotkey is in many programs like web browsers (great to know when in NSFW), code editors etc. When you have multiple documents in Photoshop I think it closes the one that's active.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    woah, this thread is back!  I just want the windows key to be disabled.  I still lock my selections in Max, going on 10 years now, that means it's legit, right?
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    woah, this thread is back!  I just want the windows key to be disabled.  I still lock my selections in Max, going on 10 years now, that means it's legit, right?
    Try Sharpkeys https://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/

• lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM said:
    3IcZfe2.gif
    Have to agree ... who the hell locks selections? Just save a set if it's so important to you. :)
    I found it handy when painting in modo, to make sure i don't accidently paint on the wrong faces
  • Zitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zitch polycounter lvl 8
    After working in Max for a while and I go to switch over to Maya.... the 1-5 keys drive me nuts in Maya.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    In various pieces of software, Esc allows you to cancel an action. But it seems that every time you want to cancel something quickly, it will finish loading completely anyway. And then only at the very end, it still cancels, so you don't even get whatever you had to wait on!
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    0 - in 3Ds Max, which is "Render to Texture" this usually happens when I'm trying to type numbers and wherever I tried to type the numbers lost the focus because no reason and I use mouse click to confirm the entered value which will most of the time cause Max to crash on a heavy scene and if it doesn't it usually takes around 15-60 seconds to load the damn thing. I've got no clue as to who uses it enough to warrant it being on a damn hot key.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I love all hotkeys equally.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm really starting to hate ctrl-v in Maya lately. Mostly because certain text boxes lose focus quicker than a one year old child, so I end up pasting something into the scene instead of the text entry.

ninjaEdit: Y'know, I can't even remember the last time I ever wanted to paste that way in Maya. Party at the hotkey editor!
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    I know it's been mentioned but ctrl+space in Maya used to haunt me. It disables parts of the ui and there's no easy way to turn it back on unless you know the hotkey.

Also.. I'm used to a german keyboard layout.. could it please stop switching back to english language so I can keep using undo instead of redo. I wish I knew what causes it. (german keyboard -> y und z switched)

Opening Bridge in Photoshop is great as well.
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    The fucking Q key in Max cycles the selection mode. You know it seems like this would be useful but it's just reeeeaaaaally irritating. Is there any way to disable this though? I've never really checked because it's one of those things that pisses you off in the moment but you just sort of forget about it and go about your work.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    gfelton said:
    The fucking Q key in Max cycles the selection mode. You know it seems like this would be useful but it's just reeeeaaaaally irritating. Is there any way to disable this though? I've never really checked because it's one of those things that pisses you off in the moment but you just sort of forget about it and go about your work.
    Yeah, it's set to Smart Select, remap it to Select Object in the Customize/Customize User Interface menu
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Not a hotkey but something I learned to never press my first week in the industry

It mirrors your mesh by scaling it by -1, it looks fine even with backface cull on until you reset transforms, then you get inverted normals
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    CAPSLOCK
    its driving you nuts slowly and painfully over the years
  • nyx702
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    F1 or any other hotkey that brings up the help. I'm a man and I never ask for help! 

I use AutoHotkey to remap un-changeable hotkeys like that to something else. Feels good. 
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    ctrl + c in max...thousands of camera's have been deleted over the years
  • Moltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moltar polycounter lvl 7
    When I first started out in max, Q was my mortal enemy.
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Its just a minor annoyance, but 'Enter' in Substance Painter in the bake dialouge box. I just want to change my value like I do in every other app. I don't need you to start baking RIGHT NOW.  :p
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 said:
    ctrl + c in max...thousands of camera's have been deleted over the years
    CTRL+C is prime real estate. It's such an important combo of keys, that you should immediately change it to something more important than set camera from position. Which is something you rarely do.
  • Fullofsith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fullofsith polycounter lvl 9
    The WIN key. It's so frustrating to aim for CTRL and accidentally get WIN. It totally takes you out of the moment.
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    Pressing T in zbrush accidentaly, then instead of making a brush stroke i drag the same model. My face when it happens: