Home Dota 2

Personal haters!

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
So, all my items are having like 6-8 downvotes in the first hours after I publish them, after that positive % slowly grows but item is already on the end of 2nd page, and it takes few days before it gets on the first one.

Anyone have similar concerns? or I am just paranoid :S

Replies

• Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    Haven't had any similar issues. Then again i've got one item online. What concerns me is the fact that it does sound like a plausible way to push competitive content off the first page. You pretty much only have that one week of frontpage air time. Losing days on the front page could seriously impact the amount of votes you get.

I'll keep a lookout the next time I upload something.
  • Vayne4800
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vayne4800 polycounter lvl 3
    Actually, I had a sudden surge of downvotes too on my latest item but as you said, it slowly caught up.
  • Uliss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure, that there are Petsonal haters. They are just haters in general or i guess they can be named as critics. I guess, they are browsing workshop almost every day and just downvoting here and there. But thats not a problem of downvoting, but rating system in general. At the beginning if you posting without any support (team/players and so on) those several downvotes can be deadly.
  • mihalceanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    Same here ; I guess some guys play dirty to make they'r items go further up the list or someting .
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    It's probably not personal, but there's always going to be haters regardless that get off on the idea that they're somehow being detrimental to you or try to put you down in any way they can.

Ignore them and keep making items too awesome to ignore. :)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    i operate under the assumption that the numbers are something like this:

10-20& of dota players browse the workshop regularly.
    20-30% of those players ever vote one way or the other
    70% of those players downvote things they don't care for, and only about 30% ever upvote the things they like.

add to that the fact that most people tend to be more inclined to like things that other people already like (and enjoy to be the first to say something stinks) - and it increases your chances of getting negative votes before getting any measure of positive ones.

It's human nature to prioritize criticism over appreciation. it's just the way we are. I wouldn't take it pesonally. I suppose it's possible that there are shady and dishonest voting practices, maybe even likely, but I wouldn't say it's directed necessarily at you, but at all of us who put ourselves out there for the judgement of the masses.
  • MagnoHusein
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK wrote: »
    It's human nature to prioritize criticism over appreciation. it's just the way we are. I wouldn't take it pesonally. I suppose it's possible that there are shady and dishonest voting practices, maybe even likely, but I wouldn't say it's directed necessarily at you, but at all of us who put ourselves out there for the judgement of the masses.

Pretty much this.

I'm not sure if it is your case but, the first evaluations are the most negative, specially for a "no star" item. People look and say, "It's cool but no stars? hmmm not sure".
    Once you get in the first page and you get 5 stars, people look at it with others eyes "Oh look, people think it's cool, I like too"

And this is the internet, don't take it personally.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    AFAIK Valve looks at every submission at least. So there's that. Votes are secondary to my knowledge.
  • Tyn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyn polycounter lvl 10
    @MagnoHusein: While I agree that you probably get vote ups faster once you've hit 5 stars, I doubt it causes people to downvote. I got a downvote 1 once every 25 votes or so and it stayed pretty constant throughout the week. 6-8 consecutive downvotes after upload is a little odd.

Like most folks have said I doubt it's something personal. Other than that from what i've seen votes aren't groundbreaking when it comes to selecting content for the game. I think I like Bounch's advice the best though. After all there's really not all that much you can do about it. However, I do like the fact that someone pointed it out.
  • Oroboros
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Every time I've posted a final submission on the PC Workshop thread it magically seems to result in getting instant downvotes..So I just avoid sharing new submissions on here, seems to work out better.

I still like sharing work in progress stuff on here.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Oroboros wrote: »
    Every time I've posted a final submission on the PC Workshop thread it magically seems to result in getting instant downvotes..So I just avoid sharing new submissions on here, seems to work out better.

I've only gotten positive responses from Polycount for the most part when linking finished items I think. Reddit pretty much always has lead me to a stream of 10-30 downvotes instantly unless it's a set with full promo art.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Oroboros wrote: »

Such a shame you feel that way man, its gotta be a coincidence or something because I know your work is always well received here :D

As far as the thread goes, I think it just comes down to the people who comment have something to say, and feel like you need to know how much they hate the item.
  • Snowstorm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowstorm polycounter lvl 5
    It might just be a recent spate of haters. A couple of days ago I had a sudden influx of downvotes, dropped my dusa tail by a few % and caused it to drop from 5 stars to 4, something I've not actually seen before.

Thankfully in general the workshop seems supportive and the upvotes cancel the downs over time. But 6-8 in the hours after release can really kill an item's position :/ I hope it doesn't continue for you.
  • Robobobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robobobo polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for respond guys! Good to know other opinions
  • Hudston
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hudston polycounter lvl 10
    Maybe your items are just terrible? ;)

Seriously though, this sort of thing is definitely common and people are far more likely to share a negative opinion than a positive one. It's probably why most positive comments are ASCII thumbs and almost all negative comments are personally written.

Once you get a few honest up votes, things seem to snowball though. I guess it's the positive version of that theory that buildings with broken windows are more likely to be vandalised further.

If you think that's bad, for heavens sake don't go anywhere near Reddit! OO;
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    I didn't even notice things like that going on, but I think thats just because I rarely pay attention to the votes anymore. That really blows to hear.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    To be honest I think more people need to downvote more often and more honestly. The fact that there are so few downvotes on each item gives each downvote huge power. To reach any page where your item will be seen you must have 90%+ upvotes.

I know the feeling of having a small hate crew on you, but you just have to overcome it, there's going to almost certainly be more people who like it.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    In my opinion whole concept of downvoting is wrong and should be removed. In the end what matters is the amount of ppl that will actually buy your stuff, and not the number of them that will not buy it :p One can say that downvoting is a mechanism to prevent from inappropriate content that would be far from dota lore/style, but in my opinion Valve should in the end decide if item fits or not in the game itself. Now downvotes just prevent sometimes good items for showing up on the first page (for all we need to agree that most people just look into first page) and that is not fair.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    How valid is the voting system though? I mean, you have some items with less then 200 votes get accepted, and others with over 12000 still sitting in the workshop. When things are so varied like that, I have to ask, does it really matter. Sure, positive feedback and building hype is good and will easily help an item on its road to acceptance. But nine out of ten times, I feel it's simply because valve likes the item, simple as that.

I dont think anyone has to worry really, let people do what they do, just make quality items!
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Andrew maybe your right, however I need yet to see 3 star hated item accepted into the game, because right now some quality items have 3 stars because they were pushed away into the depths of the workshop by initial hate never to be upvoted again.

Apart from it what I suggest is to have everything ready while uploading submission. If you have some promo illustration coming be sure to wait for it to be ready, if you have lore not ready be sure to finish it before posting your items, same goes for screens, gifs etc etc. If you have cool illustration for your image be sure to attach it to all items, not just collection, high chances are that most people never visit collection page anyway :D Once I did this mistake and have uploaded my items late in night to finish the process in the morning, however next day there was nothing left to save to be honest :p.

And whats most important hang in there Robo, what doesn't kill you make you stronger!!! Just do the best you can and soon those haters will be followers instead :)
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    Don't give up! The initial wave of downvotes are really discouraging but the positives will eventually shine through. There are haters for even the most well-crafted designs, some people just want to vent out their frustration from all the server problems and bugs.

Andrew also has a point on less than 200 vote items getting accepted. If Valve find your creations fitting, they will be in.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    How valid is the voting system though? I mean, you have some items with less then 200 votes get accepted, and others with over 12000 still sitting in the workshop. When things are so varied like that, I have to ask, does it really matter. Sure, positive feedback and building hype is good and will easily help an item on its road to acceptance. But nine out of ten times, I feel it's simply because valve likes the item, simple as that.

I dont think anyone has to worry really, let people do what they do, just make quality items!

I agree that the votes themselves don't matter that much but it's not just votes though, it's exposure. A lot of the items that get in the game are the popular ones that reach the top pages during the week because they get eyes on them by valve and community. Then they go on to be some of the top items if you filter by hero. Valve just checks via the same methods we have, top weekly, most recent, hero filtered. Say they want a kotl staff one day, they filter by kotl and look at the top ones. One that's good and has votes is going to go in ahead of one that's good and doesn't have votes.

100-200 votes will get you to the top 30 items just the same as 20k will, but there's a tougher road to get there. Those cool Tusk horns you commented on are more awesome (imo) than the drow set with the red background, but the tusk horns have 700 views on page 3 and the Drow set has 4k in the top 30. Both posted on the same day, one got to pages with more viewers.

For the last 6+ months most of the items that go in are recent. There are definitely more recent items going in per chest/set week than ones older than a month. So, it's important to have them seen and on people's minds around the time they are posted, before the next game updates.