Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Community Noob Challenge December 2013 (14)

Replies

• sipher3325
    Thanks Robust. My dad actually used to have one like that in his shed.
  • DEugenio
    Alright going to try this challenge! This is what I got at the moment:
    ss1-2.jpg~original

I ported it to udk earlier for size check, working on modeling/texturing now.

@Robust awesome references!
  • tkfxity
    Ok calling it a day. Managed to get one barrel done along with its texture. Added some more structural things and textured them. Props to come later.

pOx7Uw1.jpg

@Robust - Thanks for the pics for the heater! I was wondering what shapes were in the vent area near the top!
  • Dawars
    Offline / Send Message
    Dawars polycounter lvl 6
    It was very inspiring to come here and see the progress.
    My plan for this one is learn how to make high poly props and bake a normal map for a low poly.
  • MerlinTheWiz4rd
    Offline / Send Message
    MerlinTheWiz4rd polycounter lvl 5
    Here is my mock up.
    fCiL8uR.png
    (Don't mind the horrible plane clipping, that will not be part of the final product.)

So to the feedback:

tkfxity - Looking good so far, however it appears that you have two lights that are casting light shafts from two directions from the outside which never would happen in the real world.

DEugenio - I would say it's a bit narrow but that might just be the camera angle. I presume the placement of the props isn't final. If that isn't the case, then trie to make it look a bit more randomly stacked as in the concept art.

Plyxis - Looks like light bleeding. Meaning that the UVs in the lightmap are to close to each other (or non-existent). You can check out this very handy tutorial on World Of Level Design that helped me. It's in UDK and Maya but I think the basics are the same if you are using different programs.

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-01-basics-and-important-principles-for-creating-using-lightmaps.php

If you are using Maya you can easily skip the painstaking task of trying to fit the UVs exactly at the right spacing as in the tutorial by going to the UV editor and clicking "Polygons" and hitting the little box at the right side of "Layout" and changing the "Spacing Presets" to the size you want.

McFearson - That's one fancy lamp, I'm no kerosene lamp expert but shouldn't there be a wick so the fire can burn? And for the barrel it's looking good but perhaps make the metal parts a bit more shiny in the specular map.

Robust - Thanks, those pictures will surely come handy.
  • Plyxis
    Plyxis - Looks like light bleeding. Meaning that the UVs in the lightmap are to close to each other (or non-existent). You can check out this very handy tutorial on World Of Level Design that helped me. It's in UDK and Maya but I think the basics are the same if you are using different programs.

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/udk/udk-lightmaps-01-basics-and-important-principles-for-creating-using-lightmaps.php

If you are using Maya you can easily skip the painstaking task of trying to fit the UVs exactly at the right spacing as in the tutorial by going to the UV editor and clicking "Polygons" and hitting the little box at the right side of "Layout" and changing the "Spacing Presets" to the size you want.
    I don't think it is light bleeding on the 1st highlighted artifact. I fixed the UVs and it persists. I was using just a constant gray material with a constant 1 in specular. When I break the line of the specular, the artifact goes away. It fixes it for now I suppose, but I imagine once I start putting the actual materials on with specular, the problem will come back.

Edit:

I think I fixed it for good. I was noticing that the normals were rendering strangely on the wall_window piece in 3DS Max as well, but once I rotated the first UV channel 180 degrees so they matched the other pieces, it fixed it, heh. I was just trying to get my wood texture to tile properly so it kind of killed two birds with one stone.
  • ajf412
    Okay, entering this challenge. My goal is simple: Complete the project, no matter what it ends up looking like. This will be my first scene. Due to health issues and two babies, just finishing is going to be daunting! Here is my paint over.
    DecemberChallengeBlockout_zps4a4f4873.jpg

I don't know what engine I'll be using. Either Unity or UDK. I use Shade 3D for modeling. Zbrush for sculpting. We'll see what happens....
  • JayGarcia_
    Offline / Send Message
    JayGarcia_ polycounter lvl 4
    I decided to tackle the textures first :) i was able to knock these out today. Not a 100 % with the floor but i have been staring at it for so long that i need some fresh eyes on it. So i wanted to post the progress before i moved on further, and fix anything that comes up.

Fqw1ljP.jpg

NhswBbL.jpg

Io4sDxG.jpg
  • Plyxis
    I made my main grainy wood texture today and fiddled with the lighting more. I am pretty close to what I want for that, so tomorrow I'll be starting on a couple props hopefully.

eecw.jpg

I'm not going to be able to work on this for like 5 days starting on Saturday, so I'll probably disappear until the 11th or 12th.
  • tkfxity
    Call it a day for todays work.

MerlinTheWiz4rd:I took out the light shaft coming out the other window. I put it there in the first place because I thought the concept had a little bit of it, but upon closer look it wasn't there.

4FnxGlM.jpg

JayGarcia_- It seems like the lines seperating the wood plank ends for the floor is too sharp, crisp and unnatural, it really caught my eye when I first looked at it. Without those dark lines the floors would look great! Also the wall has a couple repeating elements in it that caught my eye. Seems to be parts of the wood grain.

Plyxis- So far everything looks great!
  • 3py0n
    Offline / Send Message
    3py0n polycounter lvl 10
    man some great stuff so far!!!! I'm getting motivated RAWRRRRRRR....

Just at paint over stage...will post blockout tomorrow.

Concept_zps83430e94.jpg
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Materials test ingame:

jsO6k0T.jpg
    A5DCbb2.jpg
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Gadorian polycounter lvl 7
    Hello guys, great works so far, I also would like to join the fun.
    Here's my paint over.
    My plan is to make 1 master material, few generic textures, and then vertex paint details on it (tint, dirt, dust, rust, etc.)
    Well let's get to work, have fun everyone. :)

Y3O5V97.jpg
    G1se3xl.jpg
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Just finished my wood texture for the floor and walls went for a dirty cracked look.

Some nice blockouts so far keep it going!

yOVHePq.jpg
  • JayGarcia_
    Offline / Send Message
    Tkfxity - Thanks for the feedback i appreciate it,Well i went in and took out the harsh lines, and broke up the tiling a little. I did the same for the walls, reduced the wood grain and created the normal and spec maps for each :)

wj6wj1F.jpg

W2lYdBy.jpg
  • McFearson
    Offline / Send Message
    McFearson polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys, small update for me. Just a couple of suitcases.

HwzYZQH.jpg

MerlinTheWiz4rd you might not be a kerosene lamp expert, but you are right about the wick. I knew I was going to forget it when I started. I'll be sure to add that in.

JayGarcia - I think your spec might be a little too strong, It makes the wood look wet. Take a look at Shauws texture for a great example.
  • lluc
    Offline / Send Message
    lluc polycounter lvl 14
    Hi,

Still working on the wood structure for the room, wood columns windows...
    Finished some props.

PCD_wip_07.jpg

@McFearson - Nice props !
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi everyone, this is my blockout so far
    8z8emo0.jpg
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Mcfearson really like those suitcases are those both seperate textures or are you gonna use material instances in engine
  • Kbrom12
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    tkfxity - Careful with the light rays shining through the windows, right now they are telling us that the sun is facing two directions at the same time :)

Here is where I'm at so far, with contract work I can do about 10-15 a week...probably won't be enough to finish in a month but I'll do what I can and finish it afterward.

D7377219_4012523_6376515
  • alecchalmers
    Offline / Send Message
    alecchalmers polycounter lvl 10
    This is my blockout so far.

My plan is to have a go at doing a quick lighting pass in UDK before I get into the modelling/texturing. I'm new to UDK so any tips on where to start would be a great help. World of level design has some good beginner UDK lighting tutorials, so I might just start there. I don't want to spend too long on this stage though, as the focus is clearly the assets, but I have made it my goal to become more familiar with UDK this month as well.

Blockout_01.jpg

@Shuaws @JayGarcia_
    Any advice on how you went about creating your wood textures? They both look fantastic!
  • Gadorian
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished all the modular pieces, had to put some extra polygons on the walls, becouse i want to vertex paint some details later, tomorrow gonna start doing props.
    Sq8PlLg.jpg
  • Robust
    McFearson I think some subtle AO could help the metal bits of the suitcase pop out more.

Done the heater, figured 2900 tris was worth it to keep it nice and round, I'm thinking maybe mask out the vents and leave the material double sided, moving onto the suitcases.
    c6VP7ff.jpg

Also got a high poly for the first suitcase (thanks Shuaws, that closeup of the props really helps).

GVlQYrF.jpg
  • hollandje
    Offline / Send Message
    hollandje polycounter lvl 4
    Robust that heater <3_<3 it's perfect :o

I'm starting the project and I had some delay because of a very busy school week and some other projects. Here is the room and camera setup, with a few props.

trbfdUH.jpg

The lighting is just a light. I will finish the props first and then I will focus on lighting. What do you think?
  • Shuaws
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Heres my suitcase crits welcome

SHMlRv7.jpg

Robust: No problemo! nice models btw

alecchalmers: i started with 4 planks of wood in 3ds max, then brought them to zbrush and used multiple brushes like trim dynamic, Orb, clay, and also i work in layers, that way i can add noise and other things and tone it down. I baked everything in xnormal.
  • JayGarcia_
    Offline / Send Message
    Alecchalmers Thanks!! - I used a base image of some plain wood planks took it inside of Photoshop and messed around with the layer style and the levels, then i used a tillable Wood Grain texture i had, i threw a filter on it and faded the effects and turned down the opacity.Then i just used a mask to add the dirt and all the extra stuff.I like creating a test plane and importing that into Marmoset so i can see how its turning out. Hope that helps ! :)
  • tkfxity
    Calling it a day. Finished the heater tonight, need to start on other props.

WdwgsOZ.jpg
  • aferalva6
    Guys you are gods walking among us, Next month I will join you
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    My progress:
    ScreenShot00028.png
    ScreenShot00029.png
    ScreenShot00030.png

I actually made all the props today. I haven't touched it for the last week.

Stove is not finished. I just throwed it in, to see how it will look. So far only most complex props left and windows. It would probably take 2 days to finish everything.

@akh
    Awsome lantern. Although I think it will never get close enough to see all those details :D.

@JayGarcia_
    The second wood (floor ?) texture is to shiny. It looks like wet. IF want to add glacier/snow on top of it, you should consider using vertex blending, and just blend diffrent color/roughness//specular/whatever you using textures on top of wood, to get better variation.

@McFearson
    Nice cases. You should add some leather texture detail(tileable blend in shader) on top of your color. To really push all the details.

@Robust
    Awsome stove! I don't have any crits. It just look good :D.
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    tkfxity wrote: »
    I also want to add. Using this method can be very buggy at times and it is advised you take a look at the final picture if using this method. Ive noticed that when using this method in one of my scenes it does not render out certain reflections and certain elements in the final shot.

This. I prefer to not use this method as it is not compatible with many post processing effects. I prefer to use the command "screenshot". This usually gets me the best results. Or, if you really want a bigger resolution and want to be sort of hacky, you could render out a large video utilizing the individual frames method using matinee and then pick a single large (almost 2K) sized frame.
  • Robust
    hollandje Thanks.

Shuaws For crits, I think the handle and the 2 pieces where it connects to the suitcase body might be too small, otherwise looks good.

iniside Thanks, your scene is looking pretty good, especially the walls, 3 crits I can think of are the raw logs looking too round, bright and smooth, the glass on the lantern is a little too transparent, and I there's a slight texture seam on one of the round wall logs, far right wall, 3 down from the cross beams that are holding the lanterns and chains.
    RogelioD wrote: »
    This. I prefer to not use this method as it is not compatible with many post processing effects. I prefer to use the command "screenshot". This usually gets me the best results. Or, if you really want a bigger resolution and want to be sort of hacky, you could render out a large video utilizing the individual frames method using matinee and then pick a single large (almost 2K) sized frame.

Yea, tiledshot is just unreliable with post processing in general, afaik most post processing effects don't scale with the size of the tiled shot, so the higher the number you use, the more effects like bloom and SSAO seem to be "shrunk" or diluted.

Also, done with the briefcases, not 100% happy with blue one, maybe I'll polish it later this month, think I'll do the lantern next.

ST89UsP.jpg
  • inwar
    Offline / Send Message
    inwar polycounter lvl 11
    goin do a couple props from this challenge then do a little diorama in marmoset 2. here is my kerosene oil heater. will do the suitcase then probably the lamp
    @Robust nice models and thanks for the reference :)LiamStones_KeroHeater.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    Off to a great start
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    really love that stove, great work.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks like a cool challenge, nice concept and cool entries already :) Just had a modeling question - does anyone have any idea of how they'd go about modeling the pattern at the top of the red stove heater? Just wondered as it seems to have holes in a quite complex pattern. Thanks!
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch wrote: »
    Looks like a cool challenge, nice concept and cool entries already :) Just had a modeling question - does anyone have any idea of how they'd go about modeling the pattern at the top of the red stove heater? Just wondered as it seems to have holes in a quite complex pattern. Thanks!

You can paint alpha map for it, or just model it with boxes.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Offline / Send Message
    HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
    @iniside Great progress on building the scene. My only crit would be that its a little too dark. Depending on how close your trying to match to the concept of course but the lamp in the scene really gives everything I nice warm glow.

@inwar Really like the heater, i'd say you nailed the concept.

Anyway I've been working on wood floor texture. I'd like to play around with the colours so that I can re-use it a few times with the scene. I know the floors alot darker in the concept but I wanted to go for a brighter tone. I sculpted the planks in Zbrush and then baked the maps out. Quite pleased since it's my first texture made from scratch out of Zbrush. I attempted to hand paint it but didn't really nail that strong, cartoon like hand painted look but for the moment I'm happy with it.

1maNfSN.jpg

Any crits or feedback welcome. Also decided to build this Diorama in Toolbag 2 :)
  • McFearson
    Offline / Send Message
    McFearson polycounter lvl 4
    Its been a few days since I've posted anything, so I thought I would post an update and get some feedback.

Here is a quick screen grab from Cryengine of where I'm at right now.
    VDcR2R8.jpg

Thanks shuaws, the suit cases have the same model, but they use different uv space on the texture. So I didn't instance them, I just treated them both like one model and textured them together. I figured this would be the most efficient way to do it.

Thanks for the feedback robust, I'll try to hand paint in a bit more AO if I get time to come back to them. Both your Heater and suit cases look awesome. I wish I could give you some better feedback than that, but I got nothing. Keep the beautiful props coming!

inside I'm going to agree with HomeGrownHeroz and say your scene is a bit too dark, but otherwise, great progress so far.

Torch, what I"m going to do (and its what I'm assuming Robust did, but I could be wrong) Is paint an alpha map in photo shop and use NDo2 to ad to the nomrals to give it the slightly beveled look so it catches the specular highlight.
  • Low
    Woah guys!

Cool concept. Super work going on here. I'm a bit late for joining and it's Holiday season soon so I guess I'll pass on this one.

Kudos!
  • DEugenio
    @MerlinTheWiz4rd I took what you said and made my room a bit wider. As for the prop placement, you are right they aren't final, I will be adding more and arranging them as I go on. I will definitely keep your advice in mind when placing everything! Thanks!

ss2-1.jpg~original

There is some awesome stuff going on in this thread I don't really have much else to say.

Right now I can update with my oil heater here:
    tumblr_mxodg9NH5M1r3f0aeo1_1280.png

I have also done the lantern and am about to start the suitcases, I'll post those up in a bit!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Seems to be a lot of these lanterns popping up XD

WIP of mine -

YbOa8JF.jpg

...and coffee sack:

WJ88RAc.jpg
  • iniside
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    ScreenShot00032.png
    Added bag, although it's only filler, I need to sculpt it a bit.

Thanks for crits guys. I haven't yet changed the big wood logs as I want to retain tileable texture on them. I will prolly need to sculpt them as well, as just slap tileable texture on it later.

If anyone is curious there are only two assets with unique textures. Lantern and Stove. Although lantern is so small that I probably could use tileable texture on it as well.

I also want to add snow accumulating in the middle section. I already have snow busting trough open door, now just need the rest :D.

@HomeGrownHeroz
    Nice wood floor. Definitely better than mine, to say at least :D.

@Robust
    Nice cases. My only crit is that they could use more dirt and wear.
  • [Deleted User]
    Hey guys i found reference for the sled if you are having trouble with it, i certainly was!

http://imgur.com/a/L2fvd

I didn't even realise that mechanism existed, so working on adding it now
    http://i.imgur.com/i1uRrdP.jpg
  • The Scanner Darkly
    Offline / Send Message
    The Scanner Darkly polycounter lvl 4
    Well I had a hard drive failure on the one day I didn't backup. I'm going to restart anyway just cause I really wanted to do this concept, but I doubt I'll have anything near completion for the 31st. Everyone's looks great so far though! I'm looking forward to seeing some finished ones.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I just found this thread today and since finals are over I think I'll take a crack at it. Here's my super-fast, quick and dirty block in:

F6tEZDc.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Calling it a day.

Decided to add a focal point into the scene, and theres nothing better then a bloody body covered under a cloth to grab someones attention. I created first blood splatter decal, will need to add more to show that the body was dragged into the cabin/shed through the door.

I also changed up the layout of the scene a little. I havent touched the lighting yet and I still need to add more props.

3vG5LVA.jpg
  • akh
    Offline / Send Message
    akh polycounter lvl 10
    Hop, little update:

QRX00j3.png
    I5Zp775.png
    vYWuFR8.png
    EQJMhc5.png

Very very good work Robust and inwar !
    Nice interpretation tkfxity and good lighting iniside ;)
  • Robust
    inwar No problem, It took me awhile to find the specific type of heater and figured I should save everyone else the time.

McFearson Yep, that's pretty much how I do certain details to save time on modeling, throw together some white shapes/text and convert to normals.

iniside Yea, I'll give those cases some more grunge.

akh That's a pretty amazing wood texture, the one crit (more a suggestion) I can think of is desaturating some parts so they look worn/rotted.

Anyways, it's been a few days, work's been busy lately but now I have some free time again, and hopefully for the rest of the month.

Here's my lantern.
    k2Z9adp.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Started tweaking the lighting a bit. Trying to get it to light up close to the concept, and light up the action on the floor.

qQ3Z1rY.jpg
  • tkfxity
    Finished up the lantern.

D7PvlaN.jpg