Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nina Williams Redesign

Hi so I've gone about doing a redesign of Nina Williams from Tekken with a celtic redesign.

Here's the quick design sketch.

1383301_10151748339613014_1492362045_ncoloir_zps38c18df8.jpg

At the minute I'm sculpting and decided to leave out the extra strapping on the abdomen and holsters. The boots design is also changed. The weapons are being done separately.

Just looking for general feedback.

ninafront_zps45e3061f.jpg

ninaside2_zps1b69c568.jpg

ninaside_zpsa3205a48.jpg

ninaback_zps0ab51766.jpg

ninaangleback_zps6bdef210.jpg

ninaangleleft_zps49041eeb.jpg

ninaangleback2_zpsf2ce9cb1.jpg

ninahead_zps032ad876.jpg

ninaboots_zps336e13f2.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a518/Christopher_Pendleton/ninamaterialclose2_zpsdca1d77f.jpg

ninamaterialclose_zps00b733e7.jpg

ninamaterialclose2_zpsdca1d77f.jpg

ninaboots2_zpsefa946b7.jpg

*Update* Due to time constraints I'm going on to the retop.

Replies

• pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renders of final sculpt.

sculptangle1_zps6c890264.jpg

sculptangle3_zps78cf393a.jpg

sculptfront_zps22eb4cbf.jpg

sculptback_zps944a79e5.jpg

sculptangle2_zpsfce45c8d.jpg

sculptangle4_zps745c1711.jpg

sculptside2_zpsb042750a.jpg

sculpthair2_zpsc35e6f6a.jpg

sculpthair3_zps1ca6289e.jpg

sculptside1_zpsd54595a6.jpg

sculpthair4_zps7283ed23.jpg[/quote]
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renders of low-poly model with and without clothing

minusfront_zpsad136add.jpg

minusside_zpsdad43dc9.jpg

minusback_zps6476cde8.jpg

wirefront_zpsb2ed5447.jpg

wireangle1_zps59aa9425.jpg

wireside1_zps21adc6f9.jpg

wireangle2_zpsbe85e292.jpg

wireback_zps0d5bdb9e.jpg

wireangle3_zps2e5ad4bd.jpg

wireside2_zpsff508ee4.jpg

wireangle4_zps00ef975d.jpg

headfront_zpsbe461140.jpg

headangle_zps46229712.jpg

headside_zpsd2a93ef5.jpg

headangle2_zpse28796fe.jpg

headback_zps3a847f7a.jpg
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sketchfab previews

[SKETCHFAB]c0582e1d10ad49138f61429ff705fd6a[/SKETCHFAB]

[SKETCHFAB]33f06d75fd444c2e89485304b76081f2[/SKETCHFAB]
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The low poly model came in at 11,876 tris, the tri-count was 12,000
  • citizen_j
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    citizen_j polycounter lvl 13
    ERRRRMM there's nothing referencing to the original character. Might as well drop the 'redesign' part?

Looks like you skipped straight to the highest subdivision level and threw in some alphas. I'd recommend spending time defining the overall shapes and volumes in the lower levels. Also study the materials you're sculpting, look for reference how cloth folds and wrinkles. Now it looks like the skirt is made of stone and the shirt a strange blob.

Anyways, good news: anatomically its not THAT bad. The arms and head might be a tad too small, the shoes are might be a size too big also, but the overall proportions are pretty close, besides the gravity defying chest. :) The facial structure is also pretty decent though eyelids could use more definition. Somehow lots of the feminine forms are lost in the lowpoly mesh.

Don't rush to get to the details, get the form working first.
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This was the earlier reference I had drawn inspiration from.

Points from the current Nina design.
    ninastudy_zpsea9ee8b4.jpg

Diffences in Nina's style over the Tekken series
    ninacostumeref_zpsfd6a0eae.jpg

Moodboard of female Celts
    celticmood_zps17283e02.jpg

Queen Medb from the Ulster Cycle in Celtic Mythology
    2141768_640px_zpsd8142a5c.jpg

Silhouettes
    ninasilhouette3_zpsf49f3088.jpg

Value gradients
    [IMGhttp://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a518/Christopher_Pendleton/ninavlaue_zpsd431e031.jpg[/IMG]

Colour Scheme designs:

Autumn Colours
    ninacolourredorange_zpse372d6ce.jpg

Forrest Scheme
    ninacolourgreen_zpsd78095ab.jpg

Blues and Greens scheme
    ninacolourblue_zps34c06740.jpg

Scheme using Nina current colour scheme
    ninacolourpurple_zpsc962d703.jpg

Heads height observation:
    http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a518/Christopher_Pendleton/ninaheadproportions_zpse8618e65.jpg

Body Shape reference used from the Street Fighter x Tekken Art Book
    SFxTK-Artbook-Nina-Williams-CGI-Render_zpsd00f5462.jpg
    SFxTK-Artbook-Nina-Williams-CGI-Model_zps192d9a5a.jpg
    SFxTK-Artbook-Nina-Williams-CG-Model_zpsdcf0b1ee.jpg
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Due to time constraints I went straight on with the texturing. I know that the model proportions needed improving and well be improved at a later stage.

I then went on to polypaint in zbrush and texture to bring the character into UDK

Polypaint shots (Kilt was done separately):
    ZBrushDocument_zpsde93380c.png
    ZBrushDocument2_zpsd8d10214.png
    ZBrushDocument3_zps12c8464a.png
    ZBrushDocument4_zpsd0483c70.png
    ZBrushDocument5_zps9400fb7e.png
    ZBrushDocument6_zps7df2aa3b.png

Unwraps:
    Body Unwrap
    bodyuv_zpsd59ed1b3.png

Hair, Boots, Pads, Eye, Kilt unwrap
    assessUV_zps7d0edd1b.jpg

Diffuse Maps:
    diffLow45_zps42719f9a.png
    nina15_zps56d286da.png

Normal Maps:
    lowpolyunwrapedNormalsMaptopup_zpsa6c96636.png
    ninaaseesNormalsMap_zps7ec50e08.png

Specular Maps:
    specLow45_zpsc86decee.png
    nina15spec_zps937fab36.png

AO/Complete Maps:
    lowpolyunwrapedCompleteMapAO_zps5669208e.png
    hairretopCompleteMapAO_zpsa0d9b9e0.png
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UDK Shots:

ScreenShot00014_zps39147ae3.png
    ScreenShot00015_zpsdc59f548.png
    ScreenShot00016_zpsdcaaa70d.png
    ScreenShot00007_zps86d5ddf1.png
    ScreenShot00005_zps46bc878f.png
    ScreenShot00006_zps6b885885.png
    ScreenShot00023_zpsf1d66cd1.png
    ScreenShot00017_zpsef489b3c.png
    ScreenShot00010_zps042062a1.png
    ScreenShot00013_zpsd9536abd.png
    ScreenShot00012_zpsaa4dfdee.png
    ScreenShot00018_zpscd8e7d85.png
    ScreenShot00019_zps31790c29.png
    ScreenShot00020_zpsaf05e3a5.png

Example of a quick short attempt at sub-surface scattering
    ScreenShot00021_zps6545b760.png
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Simple)Shader Networks:

bodymaterialwithSSC_zps40a54cba.png
    ninaassessoriesmaterial_zpsb78bd6ae.png
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know that this isn't a great or good model. Though I know myself I don't particularly prefer modeling but it is something I am willing to improve on. I know for example as said before about the body shape and proportions. The material on the chest piece isn't exactly obvious due to the look of it (as it's supposed to be leather). The textures could be a load better especially the skin texture as it could use more shaded areas on it. The hair is a real let down. I've tried attempting hair planes in the past and it didn't work. Making the hair as a whole piece from the sculpt wasn't the way to go about it either. In short, I'm not exactly proud of this but at the end of the day as I'd said before I don't really prefer modeling. Apologies to you modelers out there as I admire what modelers do but it's not exactly for me, yet.

Criticism is most welcomed.

Thanks,
    Chris
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    What is it you want to do then? If you don't like modeling, this will just be a waste of time.

If you really do want to get better at modeling here is my suggestions.

I think your biggest problem is it is very rushed at the sculpting stage. Really take your time to get stuff right. Rushing through like you have done just gets you a bad model without learning much. Next time take it slow get the anatomy right first before moving to armor or detailing. Use a lot of reference for every part of the character when sculpting. Build out base meshes for the different pieces of armor. Don't just sculpt belts and thing on to the underlying model. Also trying going after someone else's concept that is really well designed. It's much easier to come out with something good when you have a clear, well designed concept from the start.

Sorry if it sounds harsh. I am just trying to help out.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    If modeling isn't for you then what is there for you?
    Your textures don't suggest you are much into texturing either. So whats your goal? With this character and in general?

I'm sorry to be a bit harsh now: Your version of Nina Williams doesn't really stand well against the original. Indeed its pretty bad. You seemed to rushed this trough. Either you are not experienced enough to do better or you are just not paying any attention to what you are doing and are aiming for quick solutions and quick results. If it is the first: Go a step back and try to do something simpler. Pick simpler assets and try to do them good. Then do another asset and try to do it amazing. Get expeirence with easier projects. If you are just aiming for the quick solutions and quick results then you really need to rethink if game-art is for you. You have to learn much about loads of stuff. And will take you long. You will have to earn experience by spending hundreds of hours practicing. There is no short path to great charakter designs and artwork in general.

1'st:
    I'm not going into details about anatomy issues, messy topology, lacking silhouette, insufficient highpoly modelling and texture let downs, material definition. Your model has all of them and doesn't stand well on one of the above disciplines.
    I think your first mistake was to start a redesign without first nailing your initial design. If you wouldn't state your redisgn Nina Williams no one could tell from your model. Which is not good. You did some iitial research and you analysed the original charakter design but apart from that you have not much as a concept. A simple style sheet will not cut it when you are trying to do such a heavy redesign of a modern assassin into a medieval nina williams.
    Your own concept should have correct anatomy and needs to be far more polished. The less concepting you do the higher the chances you will make huge mistakes that would take ages to fix later on. You have to be experienced to work from very rough concepts or concepts that have anatomy and proportion issues. Because you need to spot and fix them as you go.
    2'nd: NEVER fix model issues later and start your texturing.
    3'rd: Spamming this thread with more and more pictures will not give you better feedback. Take my advice and take a step back. At the moment I would say such carackter redisgn is beyond your abilities. Learn about anatomy and zbrush sculpting. The maybe try to just copy the Nina Williams Design you have there. And compare your results with your reference and see where you need improvements.
  • pendtoni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks folks. This was for a module at university with 3 week deadlines for each stage, design, high & low poly model, texturing and evaluation which is the 3 week stage I'm on now. It's rushed simply because of these deadlines with my other work put on top of that and my job outside of university. Not trying to make an excuse but that's the facts.
    I prefer doing motion capture. This module was compulsory and this is why I'm willing to improve my modeling for the future. I know I need to improve.
    I do agree with the point of you not being able to recognize this as redesigned Nina Williams if it wasn't stated.
  • DougClayton4231
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DougClayton4231 polycounter lvl 3
    If you're interested in doing animation, you're going to have to learn proper topology, as it is very important in getting characters to animate well. Take your time and learn, learn, learn! Rushing anything at an early stage is going to do more damage than it is going to help. If you can't look at your own work and come away completely satisfied, no future potential employer will either.