Home Technical Talk

change colors of edges and verts in maya UV editor?

title says it all. can it be done?

right now, inside the editor, if i have nothing selected the wireframe and the verts are both white. i need to select the entire "shell" just to see the verts in green.

i looked around in "color settings" but didnt see anything. maybe i missed it. any thoughts?

Replies

• Harbinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    As far as colors, I'm not sure it's possible. However, if you hit the Toggle Shaded UV button as well as Toggle Texture Border it should make things a little easier to see.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    it will also affect your viewport but to show uv´s go to DISPLAY - POLYGONS - UVs. color of uv´s can be changed in the color settings of the preferences while edge coloring doesn´t affect the uv texture editor.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    displayColor -active polyEdge 1;

Using this command while swapping the one out for any number between 1 and 31 will change the colour of both selected edges on your mesh, and in your UV editor.

Dont know how to do it for unselected edges.

you could make a python shelf button with this code
    import maya.cmds as cmds

i = cmds.displayColor('polyEdge', q=True, active=True)
     if i == 31:
         i = 1
         cmds.displayColor('polyEdge', i, active=True)
     else:
         i = i + 1
         cmds.displayColor('polyEdge', i, active=True)

to toggle through all the available colors as well.
  • transistor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AWESOME! thanks guys :)
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    passerby wrote: »
    Dont know how to do it for unselected edges.

I spent a good hour trying to find this after being annoyed at how hard it was to see my edge selections on a white UV border. The slider for this is located in the color settings window (Window > Settings/Preferences > Color Settings) under the Active tab, Objects section, "Polygon surfaces."
    displayColor -c -active polymesh 22;

The unfortunate bit about this specific color setting is it shares the color with any poly surface selections in your viewport that are not the Lead Object (just select 2 objects and you'll see what I mean).

I originally thought black was the perfect solution to my UV editing problems, but when I returned to modelling, the black-highlighted objects were a real distraction. :(

While I was messing around with color settings I also noticed that Index Palette 22 is actually not used for anything, and is such a close color to the other yellow index color that anything set to index 22 can just be set to the other yellow (17). This may be particularly useful for finding an acceptable color for your UVs and non-lead objects, as you can change the index color to anything you want by double-clicking on it. For my personal color scheme I found a light blue is a nice middle ground.
    colorIndex 22 0.371 0.519 0.603;