Home Technical Talk

Does anyone use Blender?

I've been browsing this forum for awhile, mostly just lurking and occasionally poking my head into a forum. I wanted to ask, am I the only one here using Blender? If others are.. they don't make it very obvious!
I haven't looked into much others due to lack of funds to pick them up long term, but I am starting to wonder if I should join in on the 3dsmax group because it seems a lot more standard in the industry, along with it being easier to incorporate in a pipeline (IE GoZ, Blenders alternative doesn't work on my pc for some reason)

So I guess I am kind of wondering, What programs do you use and why did you choose them?

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Why should it be obvious?

I am using blender, because it is free has plenty updates and suits me well, also I have used 3ds max before.
    It's not the program that makes you a good artist, but having some knowledge of 3ds max or maya can help you in the long run :)

Also think this thread should be in general discussion.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3ds Max and Maya are the industry standards, so you're going to see more people talking about those apps here.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    A lot of people use blender on this forum though. There is a whole 70 page discussion here http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72805
  • Lev216
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm too using Blender. For almost two years.
  • nufftalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
    Blender is a great program, its fast, its free, its light on file usage, it has great user feedback, it constantly gets updated with new features, the default kb shortcuts are logical, great customization options, you can run blender from a folder on your desktop without installing it, you could run it from dropbox even, as mentioned before its not the industry standard... I love how fast I can model with it. If you learn it and use the kb shortcuts you will be modeling your arse off trust me. I would say experiment and try different programs and see which one you like most. You should learn Maya and 3ds Max though as they are most likely what you would be using in a studio. Without starting the ever so popular my program is better then yours war, I would like to say that you will find features that Max can't do in Maya, and you will find features in Blender that neither Max or Maya can do, etc. So one program can't do it all sometimes you need to use more then one. Maybe you like cloth simulation in Maya better then Max, or maybe you prefer UVing your model in 3ds Max. You got to try it out good luck.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I use Blender, but I'm a raging newbie so my opinion doesn't really count for much.