Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Showreel

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
MasterJV polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone,

My name is Julian and I'm new to all this, I've been lurking around polycount forums for a while now and thought it's time to be part of the community. I'm a student currently working on my final year as a 3D Artist at SAE Institute. I'm basically doing a 3/4 year course in 2 years, so now I'm on my 2nd year.

I'm really wanting to get into the game industry as a prop/environment artist, I've just recently finished my showreel that contains all the work I've done so far in college/uni and figured this is the perfect place to get feedback and criticism.

Here is my showreel: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S0tsBUyDUI"]Julian Vermeulen - Showreel 2013 - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    Hey man, looking good. There was one point where the camera stops moving... I wasn't sure what was going on. I did really feel that's the weakest point, mainly because it lacked the moving dynamic that the rest have.

Of you really wanted to get that angle and nothing else, may I suggest a slow zoom?
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. To the point where the camera stops moving, do you mean the last clip where the camera moves up and stops, overlooking the castle?
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Is this some of the default Windows music? I'm not sure if that's allowed to just be used by any project.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Overall, showreels aren't that useful for game artists other than animators and effects artists. As an environment artist, you're working with static objects, and so a static format will allow you to better show everything you can do. Concentrate on creating a good portfolio with solid still images of your work.

As always, keep the site simple, include texture sheets & wireframes, and include your contact information on every image.

I understand that many art programs like to emphasize reels, and they do let you show off to a casual audience. The people considering hiring you, however, tend to prefer individual images they can study at their leisure.
  • lloydj14
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lloydj14 polycounter lvl 6
    2 things that u might want to consider :)
    1. Poly count.
    2. Some of the textures u have created and used in the these models.

Hope this helps :)
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader: Haha yes this is from the windows sample music called: Mr Scruff - Kalimba.

@DWalker: Thank you for the info, didn't really know that. I am at the process of making a website as we speak and as you said keeping the site simple.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    looking good.

some tips:

in ur secondo piece (hammer one) remove the base and put an open ground with some alpha blending on edges (u can do that in marmoset)

the first piece should be the stronger, try to put something more complete

dont show breakdowns/wireframe before the actual scene/model

keep it up, u r near
  • MasterJV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lloydj14: I wanted to add poly count but figured it would be better to display that on the website, same goes for textures.

@silver_hoodlum: I'm not familiar with marmoset, I've mainly been using Maya, Zbrush and photoshop. But that doesn't I can't add the open ground in Maya :)