Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio, G36C weapon.

Hello again, I am new to this forum. I think I have learned enough over the past few years to start building a portfolio with some quality models, so I thought it would be a good to start on a G63C, mainly because my brother has an airsoft version. I would post my progress along the way. I want this to be a game ready model when it's finished.

Any feedback on this would be great, there are still a lot of things I could learn and improve upon.

I just finished up with the high poly model, here it is:

qt2r.jpg
4up7.jpg
4y7t.jpg

Replies

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    It's looking really nice. I won't comment on accuracy because that would take me some time to point out some differences. What I will comment on is that this being your high poly, your edges are too hard, especially in first person view. If this is translating to a game model, then you need to loosen those edges a bit.
    quoting from racer445:
    9720788899_56f799f448_o.jpg
    Aside from that, how do you plan on doing that interior section at the front for low poly? Capping it off from the inside and texturing the entire thing black?
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I was thinking the same about the edges, and other people pointed it out as well. I don't know how many of them I can go back and fix without to much trouble, but i'll try.

I wanted to be able to make more attachments for this gun and possibly make it into a K or MG model, so I wanted the sight, front piece, grip, stock, and meg well, to be independent so I can swap them out. So for the front piece, I think i'll still make it hollow and just give the inside a vary small portion of the UV's.
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    What I generally do is before adding control loops to each object I add an edit poly modifier, so if I need to make changes later on it saves time :) keep going though, that's a pretty nice highpoly!
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good idea, i'll have to do that next time. Thanks again.
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the bake, I didn't clean anything up yet.

Just a bit over 10,000 tris.

The UVs are split into two maps, right now 4096 x 4096 and 4096 x 2048.

Please tell me what you think.

htnc.jpg

htnc.jpg
  • RedRogueXIII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RedRogueXIII polycounter lvl 16
    Bake errors on the muzzle are pretty obvious, everywhere else looks fine.

A few edges are aliasing from far distance renders, like the trigger guard, magazine edges, top of the fire control group, and bottom mounted rails.
    These are overall minor details and small artifacts, so I don't know if it's worth the time to give them better smoothing.
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    2 maps of this size are overkill. Mind sharing your UV layout?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Yoohhoo, this is clean work, kudos, there's a model popping here and there sometimes.

A+
  • CreativeNot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice detail work.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    Silhouette is good, and everything is more or less right.

The minor inaccuracies don't matter, except for your edging.

The control edges on your HP are too tight (narrow).

I don't mean just for baking, I mean period. The edges on the actual gun are a lot softer (would be wider spaced in 3d) in most places than your HP has them. Even most of the edges that look tight on the actual gun, are chisel beveled, so they don't read that tight.

With 2 4k maps and 10k tris, you should be able to get everything to read clearly and have 0 noticeable difference between the HP and the LP. That gun should easily sit on 1 2048*1024 map and have plenty of room for detail, even doing 100% unique unwrap.

All in all, its not a terrible thing, even having lp'd and baked.

You just need to go back, take a day, and redo your edges on your HP. It seems like a lot of work, but really its not. Or at least it shouldn't be in most cases.

Really didn't mean to sound like a dick about it all, so apologies if it came off that way.
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres the UV layout, I know it's not that good, I'm still working out how to get better at it and mirror more things.

The 4K was only for work flow, I was planing on having it be 1K x 1K and 1K x 512 when finished.

Some of the edges are that sharpe on the real deal (I was basing most of the model off my brothers airsoft gun) but I know I made them way too tite for the normal map. also I've spent way too much time on this, it's only a gun to practice on so I'm not going back and fixing everything, just what won't take too long.

And thanks for all the comments everyone.
    5njb.jpg
    uwks.jpg
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Models really clean and detailed. Good Job
    UV's are packs well.
    Assuming that this would be a game prop (based on the Tris count) You shouldn't need any more then 1, 2048 Map to get all the details you need since it doesn't have any attachments. Also you could consider mirrors some of your UV's that will have the same texture detail. No point having everything separate if there's no special details on 1 side that you don't want on the other.
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I tried to mirror as much as I could but there aren't so may symmetrical parts on this gun as I would like. I was going to make it 1 2K map but I just could not figure out how to fit the long rail and front grip into it and keep all the main parts uniform, and it was really bothering me the more and more I thought about it. So I split it...
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, heres what I got on the texturing.

Please criticize on this, I think I need it more so than the modeling.

Also, can you guys point me to some good, free, rendering software or tool bag.

uqm1.jpg
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I know it is too late since you've started texturing, but for future unwraps consider having islands straightened out to avoid aliasing. Currently you have some stuff unstraightened and some straight stuff rotated to pack tighter in certain spots.

How are you adding noise, using photoshop noise or photosourced noise? Might help to pull some noise patterns for overlaying in your spec map from photographs of hard plastic if you haven't already.

For rendering if you can't buy toolbag or use the trial then put it in a game engine like Cryengine or UDK.
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info. The stock is what was really bothering my and making the packing a tough job, but i will keep that in mind next time. And i made the noise in photoshop, I didn't want the plastic to look to harsh but more like it has been worn, smoothed out to a shiny finish, but I know there is a lot of noise in the spec map and gloss map, it must not be showing up to good in these renders.
  • Luka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luka polycounter lvl 5
    its probably too late now, but the rear aperture is too big. in reality, its a very small hole, so your brain can focus more easly
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you mean the sights? I based it on an airsoft gun, so I don't know how it is on the real thing. I'll have to look at some more photos.
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, the rear aperture's sized correctly. It's not a tiny aperture like the AR-15: it's concentric with the front sight, which is what the model appears to be.

Right now, texture looks great, but are you planning on personalising it (stickers, etchings)? Oh, and the magazine's supposed to be slightly translucent.
  • DanRileyCG
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome weapons man!!! I hope to be as good as you one day! :D
  • MHstudios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not really planning on doing anything to it right now but I might make some optics and attachments, or even make some skins (like camo or how about a sonw covering?).

I was going to make he meg transparent but Xoliul shader doesn't support it.