Home General Discussion

Entry Level Positions in San Francisco?

polycount sponsor
Online / Send Message
Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
So a friend of mine currently living in the San Francisco Bay Area is going to be needing a roommate in February, and I'm seriously considering jumping on the opportunity to make the move out there.

Currently I'm living in a game dev desert, and considering the fact that studios will rarely offer relocation assistance for entry level positions, its beginning to look like this is my best chance at breaking into the industry.

But after looking through studios in the area, I'm not seeing a whole lot of listings for entry level positions. Do they even exist anymore? If so, how should I go about finding them? Is moving to the Bay Area with no current prospects a horrible idea?

If there's anyone out there that has made a similar move, I would love to hear your story.

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Typically, if it doesn't say 'senior', 'lead' or a prefix along those lines it's an entry level position. So look for "character artist" openings.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I could be wrong, but in most cases I would recommend that you get the job, and then move.

(If they don't relocate entry level artists, you could simply offer to relocate yourself).

I hate to say it but you really don't have a complete portfolio. You obviously have some nice sculpting skills but not much in the way of low poly models, or textures/shaders.

And to be honest, you really only need 1-2 complete pieces just to show you can do it.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Justin, thanks for the tip. I spent a couple of hours today going through every studio in San Francisco that is listed on the game dev map, and I found a few that match the description. Not as many as I had hoped, but it gave me a good idea of how competitive the market will be.

Jacque, thanks for the advice. I really am aware of my portfolio's shortcomings, and I was planning to spend another solid six months on a few more portfolio pieces before beginning a serious job hunt, but this opportunity suddenly presented itself. I'm trying to figure out which is more foolish, moving to a game dev hub like SF on a meager savings, or staying in this game dev desert until another opportunity presents itself. I am confident that I can complete at least one if not two quality pieces within three months, I just need to back it up with action.

With all of that being said, I've read opinions on the topic ranging from "You're never going to get that first job if you aren't where all the jobs are," to "You're crazy to move without a job lined up." So I'm glad get some advice from the pros. Thanks guys.

Edit: Just don't want to be overlooked for a position because I am not already local.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    There are a lot of game artists out here looking for work already, so it's going to be a real struggle to find any work as a 3D artists. Even with a more fleshed out portfolio, and local connections it would still not be easy.

It's super expensive, but I love living out here. There are a lot of cool people working on neat things, so who knows what you could find to do!
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    If you can support yourself income wise and not rely on getting a entry level job solely then i'd say go for it, what have you got to loose. Life is an adventure and i'm sure you will have lots of fun.

+ then you can work on your portfolio whilst looking for jobs there etc.

However never ever drop yourself in the deep sea without some kind of life jacket (metaphorically speaking of course!) as its not fun to fight for your life with the fear of drowning behind you.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    doesn't matter if there aren't any entry level jobs, apply anyway. but like everyone said, fix that portfolio up and start applying.

by the way, UFC Fighter Jon Jones tweeted this link (its super awesome): https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/399996112201089025

(hopefully its linked right)
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    CurtisWS wrote: »
    doesn't matter if there aren't any entry level jobs, apply anyway. but like everyone said, fix that portfolio up and start applying.

by the way, UFC Fighter Jon Jones tweeted this link (its super awesome): https://twitter.com/jonjones/status/399996112201089025

(hopefully its linked right)

I believe you mean Jon "Not The UFC Fighter, but the 3D Artist and Polycounter" Jones, who angry UFC fans on twitter think was Jon Jones the UFC Fighter this one time.
  • Playdo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically, if it doesn't say 'senior', 'lead' or a prefix along those lines it's an entry level position. So look for "character artist" openings.

Good info - Never thought of that. Is that pretty much a cert from experience?

How about those that request, say 1-3 years studio experience, and you have an internship and some freelance experience. Is there a good chance if applying? I'm not referring to games here, but it should still apply.
  • rino
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rino polycounter lvl 11
    LMP wrote: »
    I believe you mean Jon "Not The UFC Fighter, but the 3D Artist and Polycounter" Jones, who angry UFC fans on twitter think was Jon Jones the UFC Fighter this one time.

haha i know what i meant. i am just messing around. :poly142:
  • JoLin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I work in SF. My suggestions are look for job postings posted by companies in the bay area. It's quite expensive to live in the bay area. Use your friend's address when you apply to jobs even though he may or may not be your roommate yet.

If you move, apply for unrelated jobs if you need to pay the bills and you can't find anything related to what you are going for. .
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ninjas, definitely agree with where you're coming from. I certainly wasn't expecting to land an industry job as soon as I walked off the plane. Competition is definitely fierce, even if I have to continue working retail for a while just the opportunity for networking seems to make it worth the risk. I'm pretty sure I'm the only 3D artist in my entire city (Panama City, FL Polycounters unite!). No studios within 300 miles as far as I'm aware. Maybe a few indies in Gainseville, and just a couple of larger studios in Orlando.

Dubski, I'm definitely not just jumping in with no safety net. I'll have enough saved up for a one-way ticket, security deposit and first and last month's rent on the apartment, as well as enough left over for utilities, food, and transportation that should keep me going for a month or two until I can get on my feet. Surely it wont take that long to at least find something to get the bills paid while I continue to improve my portfolio... will it?

Curtis, thanks for the link. I've been following UFC Fighter Jon Jones ever since his first appearance on the Crunch Cast. Its hard to believe one man can kick so much ass both in the ring and on the tubes. I'm pretty sure LMP is wrong on this one, hes definitely art producer by day and UFC champion by night... yep just checked, definitely the same dude.
  • illbleed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    illbleed polycounter lvl 6
    Hi guys,

first time posting here. Just wanted to pick a good thread to post in first. Out here in the bay area we have a lot of QA testing positions (at least that i have seen). I've heard that is a good shot at getting through the doors..
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    For short term work you could try taskrabbit, but I hear it's not easy either.