Home General Discussion

Batman Arkham Origins

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
Surprised I haven't seen a thread about this game yet. It's gotten some polarizing reviews, with some critics saying it's another great game in the Arkham series, while others have a gripe with how it basically maintains the status quo of Arkham City and isn't a jump at all the way Arkham City was from Asylum.

Spent a few hours with it tonight though, and while the gameplay is basically identical to City, I've having a lot of fun with it. Fun to be playing around in that world again.

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Okay game that feels more like an expansion pack than a new game. Really great looking on PC though, such beauty.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    Like it more than City. The story is more enjoyable, the characters are better designed, although Batman is way too monotone, combat is more demanding, and everything else feels like City did.
    Didn't like Joker being the main bad guy again.

It feels like WB Montreal were given Origins to prove themselves before getting their own series, probably
    Suicide Squad if the post-credits scene is any indication.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I love the game. I think it's better than Arkham City. I feel like the combat timing is more important in this one, which I personally like. You know it's your fault when you fail a combo.

Right now, I think I'm around the End Game I'm giving it a 9 for sure. It's just designed better in my opinion. Arkham City had a lot of challenges which were hidden, you had to find everything yourself while this one reveals them all to you in a relatively slow manner which I find better. It's like a tiny red thread throughout the game even for the side-quest stuff.

Visually, it's stunning in my opinion. The texel-density can be a little bit weird though, standing next to a big building and comparing it to the props next to it and the side-walks, but honestly, those are minor things.

The PC-version is beautiful with all the particles and physx stuff.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    i love the game so far.. PC is just awesome to look at. Also, it runs super well. I'll post some screen grabs.

Combat is just always a blast... and exploring what it seems a bigger place is nice. Tho its pretty barren if you pay attention, compared to AC. Do we know if this game is bigger size wise?

I do agree with the pacing of this game, its a lot nicer, and not so overwhelming. AC kinda through all kinds of activities and quests all at once. No pacing.. this one has better presentation imo.

Pretty good so far. :) i love the main menu and UI in this one!

6D1F0D329323D247D5A0053FA959A9C012827128

14CDE4FBBD60D882EBC4A3D6C79E55A129D66B95

CDB7F4E840DB229958C20EFBF33EDDEFD82ECFFE
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Is it just me or the rendering style is a bit changed to be more comic like? I need to get this when i get my rig updated :)
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I'm actually probably the only person playing it on WiiU, but I'm not having any kinds of framerate issues like some folks on the PS3 and XB are having. Curious how it stands up to the other versions.

And agree about the fighting, it certainly is more demanding, which is a good thing, and fits in with the timeframe of where Bats is in his career actually.

glottis8, I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the city is a lot bigger than in Arkham City. Haven't played enough to really find out if that's true or not.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I love this game, and i love to beat the bad guys in the city. I spend more time fighting mobs than following the main quest :) (like with assassin's creed). The integration of physx and TXAA and other effects makes the experience much better. I love to see how the snow is deformed, the cape, the effects, etc. Glad i have a GTX 680 OC.

I find the fighting system pretty good but very very easy for my taste (the hard mode is not hard...), very similar to Assassin's creed with all that of counter attacks, and the great PE system. The more you fight, the stronger you are, and thats good. But, i would like to have different combos, for a real combat experience, like in combat games. I like to "break" the keyboard and the mouse lol.

The character design and all is 1000 times better than in the other games. At least, we have a serious batman, much darker and not so for kids.

for me, this is a 9/10 game, superb work. one of the most enjoyable games of this year.

One bad aspect is that it does not have textures for the upcoming 4k monitors. I noticed several textures highly pixelated, maybe result from the console port, but... who cares now. In a couple of years i would love to play it again in a 4k 31" monitor.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea.. i agree about the art style... this feel more gritty.. and the lighting and effects on the lights is pretty epic. I like it.

no prblems on my pc... but UDK is pretty friendly to pc configurations. Would like to see how it compares between each console.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had everything cranked to the max and it was AWESOME. The only slowdowns I ever saw was from activating the electric gauntlets during fights. That would take a toll on my framerate for whatever reason. Other than that, it was smooooth...
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my biggest issue with the Arkham series, and this is a personal taste thing so take it or leave it. but they look like Unreal in a bat-suit. i guess that's a pet peeve though, there are plenty of titles that suffer from this.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    So far so good. It's my first Batman game and I'm really enjoying it. The story is quite nice. Loving the gadgets and what you can do with them during combat. I did get stuck inside a tower do to the fact that he couldn't climb the vent. Bug
    I'm playing on pc and it's kinda hard to use the double tap feature for some of the gadgets, - = with those I needed an extra hand. But I remapped and it is better now, although it is best not to map TAB for a gadget ;).
    I had to reset everything to get the menu to use tab again. Kudos for the guys who made the characters and props. Really enjoying the level design.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    only played multiplayer, splash damage did an awesome job with it! but it still has that splash damage shooting mechanic which feels like your just shooting into a sponge :P
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I liked it and then
    it's about Joker again... I really liked the idea of Black Mask and all those mercs hunting you. Once again it's Batman vs Joker though... Every Arkham game was about Joker. Even when they killed Joker they created prequel to go with: Batman vs Joker again...

Game looks great though and I like the design of all the mercs hunting Bats.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    cheers ae.

I think that the guns will feel better when they are level'd up - its a classic case of 'needing' to have lvl'ing in the mp and that impacting the initial experience, so until you basically level things up.

At Splash we collaborated with WB Montreal and I was honestly impressed by the diligence of the Art Director there. I think they brought achieved a good result for a newly formed team tackling a big IP.

I had a lot of fun working on the multiplayer, we as always had a very small team and lots of aggressive deadlines :) It was my first time leading and directing an art team and I am proud of the great work the team achieved.

Props to the uber quality character customisation (easily better than Brinks) and the rich mp maps.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    I wish WB would allow art dumps of some of the Batman stuff. I'd love to see some of the stuff the guys in Montreal are doing as well as you guys over at SD :D
  • BlackCast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlackCast polycounter lvl 9
    We will ceebee , we will...
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    cheers ae.

I think that the guns will feel better when they are level'd up - its a classic case of 'needing' to have lvl'ing in the mp and that impacting the initial experience, so until you basically level things up.

At Splash we collaborated with WB Montreal and I was honestly impressed by the diligence of the Art Director there. I think they brought achieved a good result for a newly formed team tackling a big IP.

I had a lot of fun working on the multiplayer, we as always had a very small team and lots of aggressive deadlines :) It was my first time leading and directing an art team and I am proud of the great work the team achieved.

Props to the uber quality character customisation (easily better than Brinks) and the rich mp maps.

Good to hear i just need to level them up, im just having flashbacks of brink which i also really liked but had issues with the feedback i got when i was dumping bullets into people.

Are all the multi-player characters and weapons made inhouse at Splash damage? cause they look super nice almost looks like brink if it was more realistic :P

hope to see an art dump of the stuff soon, keep up the great work and hope theirs more content coming out for batman multiplayer soon.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    loving it too, but there are quite some issues i do have with the game.
    for example there is not a single new gadged concerning riddles. very disapointing, all the riddles feel like you´ve seen them in AC before.
    and the game spoiles itself:
    it took quite some time building up the black mask murder, and then spoiles it to the player by revealing it was the joker, a long time before batman figures it out.

the character art was definetly cranked up, the skin looked way smoother then in AC and the faces all seemed to have pretty high rez textures.

the environment art is gorgous too, although i miss the riddler environment puzzles, those were always neat to look at.

also copperhead was very disapointing
    basicaly raz´al gul + scarecrow without the climactic bossfight at the end

well still an awesome game, but i´d realy liked to see at least one new gadget or something more risky then just polishing AC up and giving it a new story.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    Finished the main story this weekend and really enjoyed it, i dont mind it being more of the same. Havn`t tried the multiplayer yet
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love Joker as the villain. There's nobody else who can bring that level of uncomfortable psychopathic stuff to the game...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Not a fan of the singleplayer! Seems like a quick cash in. Nowhere near the greatness of AA or AC imho.

Game is plagued with bugs as well, I sometimes wonder if WB have a QA department.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it? I don't think I've seen a single bug yet. I've read some people are having problems though...
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Well I've been lucky to avoid a lot of the crashes the game likes to do, which many people are sufferering from.

Haven't been so lucky with the bugs, things like getting stuck in walls, his cape freaking out, doors not opening (but hearing them open,) can't climb into vents.
    The worst few are with the combat being unresponsive, trying to do a takedown and Batman stands there punching the air. Combat feels less fluid than the previous games to me.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    only bug i have found is the one in the radio antenna.. that locks behind you, you have to climb through the vent and it is broken haha... saw a bug that helps...but i have not tried it.. i think its supposed to be patched sometime this week. Or at least i hope. Also.. the inside of GCPD felt a little buggy. But i have no issues with the rest of the game so far.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSeARjpIj5o"]Batman: Origins Bugs & Glitches Angry Rant - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah there's a workaround that requires some crazy trick. :P
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Edit: Double post.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    Multiplayer doesent save my stats it resets me whenever i boot the game up again, so gonna hold off playing any more multiplayer before they fix that.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae.. you playing on PC? tried to go online on pc this morning.. but the room would not fill up.. i think i waited like 10 mins.. and only got 2 more people to join that left after a little while. haha
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    glottis8 wrote: »
    ae.. you playing on PC? tried to go online on pc this morning.. but the room would not fill up.. i think i waited like 10 mins.. and only got 2 more people to join that left after a little while. haha

yeah playing on PC right now, i had that problem just exit the match and reload into another one it should work. some matches fill up quicker than others.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    did you guys like the online? seems to be interesting... but i still have to try it out. Funny that they would have videos as tutorials.. instead of just a tutorial demo. But i guess it works.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    I've had two crashes on ps3 so far. Just the frame rate dropping until eventually nothing happens and then another when it froze inside the menus after another frame rate drop. Other weird one was my controllers wouldn't connect unless plugged in, yet was fine on the dashboard....weird!!! Also a few points where you can get stuck easily with no way out. They are extremely rare though.

I'm really enjoying it so far, I think they've done a really good job, just lacks the rocksteady flare and direction. It's still really good though, definetly doesn't deserve the 6/10s. Wish the enemies had higher res textures and the combat isn't always spot on like before, often enemies travel great distance when attacking and you think there's no way he's gonna reach me but yet he speeds across the screen like a gazelle. Also wish they used the villains more, seems they get about 15-20 minutes each and then forgotten about. It's still fantastic though, the reviewers need a kicking, how this can get ok reviews and other games that recycle every year don't get the same treatment

Arkham asylum is still my favourite, I liked it a bit more scripted and concentrated. Allowed it to be more cinematic and had more memorable moments for me. I like my bats with more meat haha

Amazing job though, I'm really enjoying it, 9/10 for me. Looking forward to trying some MP
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Wow, Destructoid gave it a 3.5/10
    Gamespot gives it a 6/10.

Both blaming the lack of innovation.

Yet both websites give Call of Duty (12th-14th in the series) 9's.

:/
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Yeh fuck the Destructiod review. It really pissed me off. No way on earth is this a 3.5 out of 10 game. I've put 12 or so hours in and I'm loving it.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    I'm loving the game so far, knowing that it's using the Unreal Engine makes me wonder how the did alot of the stuffs, inspiring to say the least!

It's a great game. So far (Played about 25% ) I think it lives up to the rest of the series, which says alot. And I don't think it feels recycled or otherwise lacking innovation.

Destructoid specifically seemed to have a very clear view of what point they wanted across before playing the game. But they don't have to respect my opinion, as I don't respect theirs =p
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Single player is great, More of the same as Arkham city but definately fun and interesting still, Love the fast travel and going back to the batcave is pretty neat. Playing on PC. Only really had the vent bug on the radio tower and one crash so far.

Multiplayer is super fun, but the matchmaking is pretty horrible at the moment, took me at least 20 minutes of waiting to get into a game the first time. And the second and third times i tried, even after waiting quite awhile, didn't end up getting into the game and just being stuck on the loading screen. It wouldn't be so bad if you could just start a game and have people drop in and out. Will wait for a patch before I try again I think.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I hate reviewers. So what? IS IT FUN?!
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Sculptaur wrote: »
    Single player is great, More of the same as Arkham city but definately fun and interesting still.

All I need to know really - loved both Arkham Asylum and City (surprisingly, since it's "not my kinda game"). My wallet is keeping close tabs on my steam purchases right now though, so maybe once it's 25% off or something ;)
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    You know I gotta, say. Great work on the multiplayer! Fresh take on competitive MP and the character assets look better than some hero characters from the campaign.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamberin polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »

Yet both websites give Call of Duty (12th-14th in the series) 9's.

:/

Jim Sterling using clickbait again to get Destructoid some more views.

The guy is notorious for scoring down games for pretentious bullshit, in Batmans Case he didn't outline any actual reason in regards to broken functionality, nonsensical story or it just being not fun, no the main reason he hated the game was because it wasn't innovative enough and felt like a cash in.

Shit like this is why Metacritic is awful.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Metacritic is a useless albatross around developers necks. It needs to die.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Metacritic is a useless albatross around developers necks. It needs to die.

If reviewers actually had any kind of pride in their writing they'd get rid of the stupid numerical score all together, which would kill Metacritic.
    But nope, gotta have that big shiny number so mouth breathers know which games are "bad."
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    See, I don't agree there. I don't have time to read every review start to finish. Just tell me if it's good or not, that's all I'm generally after - the reviewers references to body functions and armchair critiques on the gameplay aren't all that interesting, on the whole. But I agree that could still be done without a numeric system. Just a thumbs up/down, really.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I've never bought a game based on a review. Ever. Screenshots and gameplay vids are enough for me to make a reasonably accurate judgement on whether or not I'll enjoy it. Metacritic really needs to die. Don't get me started about the user scores.

It's the fact that metacritic scores can negatively impact people lives who worked on the gamne purely because some guy decided it wasn't for him. Obsidian and Fallout New Vegas being a case in point.
  • Skamberin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a thumbs up/down, really.
    Actually yeah that would be perfect, get a "get it, dont get it" and read the review if you want more in depth stuff.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    See, I don't agree there. I don't have time to read every review start to finish. Just tell me if it's good or not, that's all I'm generally after - the reviewers references to body functions and armchair critiques on the gameplay aren't all that interesting, on the whole. But I agree that could still be done without a numeric system. Just a thumbs up/down, really.

The Giantbomb guys seemed ambivalent about it on the podcast. Considering the fact that Giantbomb was founded by Jeff Gerstmann who was fired for giving an honest review of a terrible game, I respect their opinions. So it sounds like a game for superfans that want more Arkham City.
  • spacemonkey
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    WOW!

That's f'n AWESOME!!!!

Great JOB Mr. Spacemonkey!!!
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Goddamn those are gorgeous. Well done spacemonkey.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    you guys gonna make an official art dump, saw some of seths stuff on CGhub as well!

gotta say the multi-player characters looks 100x better than most of the singleplayer characters which is weird but man you guys did a great job over at splash damage.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I'm going to wait till Christmas time to play this. I played the other two around Halloween each time. Helps sell them moody feelz.