Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Knight Bust - Texture Practice

quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Alemja quad damage
I realized after the VG remix that my painted textures need some work. My goal with the project is to try 2 very different styles of textures on the same mesh that uses the same normals. Since this is a test and a learning experience it may not work out, but failure is how you learn.

I'm hoping cleaner normals on this model will be able to transfer between 2 textures better. The textures will be more diffuse heavy and I will also create other maps as they are needed.
HfplUhM.png
aaiQgov.png

For my 2 textures I want to create styles that are very different from each other so I am going to do a more realistic style painting for one, that will is a bit on the baroque side of moodiness:
MtTr5IG.png

and for the other one I am going to paint in a more impressionistic style with exaggerated colors and brush work:
DnET680.png

Since this is for improving my textures, I will gladly take comments and critiques. :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Love the bust. Feels kinda Dragon Age style ;)

Really wanna see how you will pull off 2 styles of textures.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks PyrZern! I did get a bit of inspiration from Dragon Age for the design.

Preliminary test on the textures, each one has slightly different settings in XoluilShader to compliment the painting style a bit. The impressionist style one could use a little more work, but overall it looks like this experiment should work out! Diffuse and Normals only right now.
    JW1RcL1.jpg
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Looking really kool! I'm really diggin' the impressionist version :)
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I'd do more with the pupil and iris of the eye, they look a bit too cartoony. I like the impressionist look.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    looking good man, really digging the second :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thanks guys! I still need to push the impressionist one a little more, it's in the "kinda sorta real" area right now, it's interesting trying to get your mind past that block of things needing to look real.

ZacD, thanks for the crit about the eyes, I always struggle getting them to look right. I will keep working on them!
  • Blaisoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    the second version currently looks a bit like someone tried to turn him into a princess using excessive makeup IMO.
    though i'd be really interested to see how it looks with actual pointillism applied.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Blaisoid wrote: »
    the second version currently looks a bit like someone tried to turn him into a princess using excessive makeup IMO.
    though i'd be really interested to see how it looks with actual pointillism applied.

Haha! I thought I had gotten away from that, but I guess not on the first pass. Made some adjustments so it looks less like makeup. I also tried a pointillism type of thing for the beard stubble, kind of like the effect. Moved on to texturing the main chest armor and a bit of the scarf, anything else that has color is just blocked out at the moment. I also have worked on the spec for the armor and the face for both versions.

hhbBGHh.jpg

A closeup of the impressionist styled face:
    atLySc2.jpg
  • Mrpopo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mrpopo polycounter lvl 5
    "Oh my god, thats awesome. holy shit." First words out of my mouth seeing that last post. I love that impressionistic texturing technique! Reminds me of dishonoured but taken to a whole-nother level. Great work Al.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Damn. Keep it coming !
    Awesome.
    Painting style lasts forever :P Realistic style feels outdated after a few yrs.
  • Lord McMutton
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    Aye, man; the Impressionist one looks amazing!
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Thank you for all of the kind words you guys!

I finished up the textures, but since I took a break for a couple days there are a couple of things I think I need to fix, at least on the impressionistic one. I plan on finishing it later today or tomorrow so If anybody has any crits I'll be happy to hear them.
    ee2erbm.jpg
    UWMVFbF.jpg
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    Im digging the stylized versions! Very refreshing... you should create more in this light.
  • teeth
    Offline / Send Message
    teeth polycounter lvl 7
    I feel like the impressionist one is too controlled in your strokes. I'd like to see some canvas 'grit' in it and some more imperfections in the stroke work. Right now it's all well blended, which is leaning me more towards an early Degas style, but your color palate tells me Monet. I personally would like to see it a bit more loose especially on the armor where in a portrait that would be just suggested, not fully rendered.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Looprix: I might create more in this style but I have some other things I need to work on first.

Teeth: Thanks for the crits man, I see what you are saying but there where definitely problems with the creation of the impressionistic style. The biggest one was of my own doing by making the normal maps are the same for both versions, so in a way I have to work with that in order for the diffuse to look nice, otherwise it just looks kind of odd. If it was just a diffuse only model or it had unique normals that where a bit more friendly to an impressionistic style, it wouldn't be as much of a problem for sure. Though you still have to make the textures work with the 3d shapes. I like the idea of having canvas grit, it might be very interesting to have it in a normal map actually. However if I ever try something in the same style again I will build the model with more of these things in mind so these areas can work better together.

Final renders for now, thank you everyone for you support and crits! Just minor tweaks from the previous renders and I included textures. There where some value balance issues on the impressionistic one that where bothering me. I can't really spend too much more time on these but I might try some more style exploration in the future.
    T8lrtUK.jpg
    cMwcgeo.jpg
    qEeu93I.jpg
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Great job on this, one of the more interesting and impressive texture work I have seen in a while :)
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    Stromber80, thanks man!

I figured I could spread the love around here too, I created a breakdown for the "realism" skin texture since a person asked me about it. It's not exactly a tutorial, but a layer-by-layer breakdown of how I got to my final texture. Putting just a thumbnail up here since it's huge, you can click on it to get the large version
    ZPux6Me.jpg?1

I also have the veins texture I mention in the tutorial available for download as a photoshop pattern: http://alemja.deviantart.com/art/Veins-410357021

If you guys have any other questions I'd be happy to answer them.
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Those textures are really great man. Thanks for the breakdown, really really useful !
  • MGE_PM
    Offline / Send Message
    MGE_PM polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, great texturing ...