Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyborg Link | Full Character University Assignment

Hello there,

So this is 2 of 4 of my modules for this semester of university.

Captain America Low poly character thread - http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1926683#post1926683
*Links to other threads of the other 2 modules will soon be here*

Basically this module is Advanced Modelling Portfolio where Your art lead has set you a task, you must come up with your own 3D reinterpretation of your favourite Video Game FIGHTER, FIGHTING STAGE or COMBAT VEHICLE.

I chose the Character mainly because i feel this is my strongest area and I really wanted to try it out.

The requirements for the character:

This is a reimagination of a FIGHTER. You are not to recreate your chosen fighter identically.
12,000 triangles for everything combined. While you do not need to reach 12,000 triangles for your FIGHTER please remember this is not a low-poly contest.
You may use double sided geometry, just remember they’re considered towards your final triangle count.
2048×2048 resolution for your textures, combined, maximum.
Each texture pass gets this resolution. So your diffuse map(s), combined (if applicable), cannot exceed 2048×2048 resolution.
Diffuse, Specular/Specular Colour, Reflection, Gloss, Normal, Bump, Opacity, Emissive/Glow
Each of these passes are optional.
Light your character however you’d like. In-game or baked.
NO PHOTOSHOP for post-process solutions (Text is fine)
Present your character.

So I chose Link from Zelda and where the fighter part comes in is I asked if we could class Super Smash Bros as the fighting game and this was allowed.

So to start off with some mood boards of Link and some re-design ideas for him

LinkCollage_zps80b934cd.jpg

Evil Link

Collage_zps523ac228.jpg

Cyborg Link

Collage_zps62550f8b.jpg

Steam Punk Link

Collage_zps32e34d77.jpg

Also some key characteristics that i feel must be transferred over to the re-design so the viewer can see it is still Link.

KeyCharacteristics_zpsb936e4d9.jpg

So I decided to go with Cyborg Link and cracked on with some concept art. Now i am a terrible drawer but i am practicing every day now to improve but any help would be appreciated.

Here is day 1 concept drawing of Cyborg Link:

day1_zps779b7b7a.jpg

I also had a go at doing the shield but failed miserably, practice makes perfect and all that.

ShieldPractice_zps6b723851.jpg

Dilkesy

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    If you don't feel comfortable with your drawing skills, I'd suggest drawing/painting over an existing link so you don't bone yourself on proportions. Will allow you to focus on designing the costume.

Right now I feel like it's not pushed far enough into cyborg land. One thing you might want to think about is re-appropriating the iconic pieces you've determined are necessary in interesting ways. Like, maybe the shield is an integrated piece on his body or a design element, maybe instead of blond hair there's yellow metal pieces that evoke those shapes, etc. Everything doesn't need to be so literal. Just a thought. :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    This might give you some ideas. I'm making FFT: Ramza character.
    One of the fan art I found was this robotic/cyborg Ramza :P

1377006_10151905945390115_733943876_n.jpg
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you don't feel comfortable with your drawing skills, I'd suggest drawing/painting over an existing link so you don't bone yourself on proportions. Will allow you to focus on designing the costume.

Right now I feel like it's not pushed far enough into cyborg land. One thing you might want to think about is re-appropriating the iconic pieces you've determined are necessary in interesting ways. Like, maybe the shield is an integrated piece on his body or a design element, maybe instead of blond hair there's yellow metal pieces that evoke those shapes, etc. Everything doesn't need to be so literal. Just a thought. :)

That's a really good idea actually, i have the perfect reference image as well that i can use to trace. Also i see where you're coming from and well i have to do various designs for the character so perhaps metal hair could be one of the concepts
    PyrZern wrote: »
    This might give you some ideas. I'm making FFT: Ramza character.
    One of the fan art I found was this robotic/cyborg Ramza :P

1377006_10151905945390115_733943876_n.jpg

Thanks, yeah in one of my moodboards there were some cool ideas for the chest piece, i might consider taking out the shield and giving him some armour.
  • Dilkesy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay image dump time I've done a lot of concept work as well as a lot of other work so not had a chance to update this thread for a while. But here you go some silhouettes, sword designs, shield designs, colour palettes and colour variations and the final concept piece. I know it's not very detailed but i'm not very good at drawing but i tried my hardest.

Day2_zps25e47134.jpg

silhouette1_zps2ec21e8c.jpg

silhouetteDetail1_zpsfe9d8443.jpg

silhouette2_zps2d8818ad.jpg

silhouetteDetail2_zps498a61e9.jpg

silhouette3_zps00bf14bc.jpg

silhouetteDetail3_zps7014c709.jpg

Sword_zpsb656fb78.jpg

Sword2_zps13016097.jpg

Shield_zpsfc48a16d.jpg

Shield2_zpsaa73fb90.jpg

Colourpallette_zps3a554cb2.jpg