Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] We are the last of us

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
kimmokaunela ngon master
I totally love the art direction that Last of Us have so I needed to start making similar stuff. I´m going to make a simple scene with a few props and a vehicle on top of the asphalt surface. So far it took about a month or so to achive these results. I have time only on weekends so that´s why it´s taking so long :)

vwqq.jpg

I collected a lot of reference stuff from internet, taking photos, listening music etc... Usually I just start modeling without any thinking of what I´m going to do but this time I´m not going to make that mistake.

My weapons of choice are 3ds max for modeling, ZBrush for sculpting, Photoshop for texturing, UDK for rendering.

So here is the scene so far:

qi7f.jpg

Here are a couple of my latest models:

1aqw.jpg
ogyk.jpg
v63x.jpg

Replies

• Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
    Hey this looks really nice to me! Can you post any images of the maps?
  • Strandy
    Offline / Send Message
    Strandy polycounter lvl 3
    Very nice tribute to this great Game. People love it for many reasons. Mainly it's graphics and the story that can deeply move. For me personally its strongest side is inspirational power that it spreads. Assets in your scene seem to follow this path. Although the original in game props miss typically parts like the cars wheels or doors, which were obviously stolen. It's because The Last of Us is not only a portrait of material world. It portraits also the post-apocalyptic "civilization" heading its end. These details say a lot about changes in peoples mind without to show people themselves.
    Another important element of scenes in Last of Us is the vegetation that overgrows everything that people used in the past. Even one of your reference images shows it exemplary. Again, while talking about small details I love your models and look forward to see your work continued.
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Thanks for the feedback. Here are some of the diffuse maps that are used in the scene: 8ipt.jpg

I like how Naughty Dog did all the little details like the flashlight color bleeding effect or all the little details on their characters. You are right that the vegetation is spreading very quickly when there is no one to cut that. Good example of this is Pripyat in Chernobyl where the trees are slowly destroing the buildings and the whole town is going to be a huge forest. My next step is to create vegetation in that scene but first I need to study how it will grow on different surfaces. I´m also going to pay attention to details more and I think that is the most interesting part of this. I have to imagine things when they were new and how they will slowly decay into rust.
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Here are some latest screens of it:

dauo.jpg

2sd2.jpg

a8pw.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Small update. Added grass and some small props. Need still a lot more vegetation to look better. I am also going to make a character there.

rx4i.jpg
  • Boyo
    Offline / Send Message
    Boyo polycounter lvl 8
    Hey!
    It's nice, and i love that game!

I just have one comment though : Textures seems a little bit too noisy to me. All the grunge texture are too regular and out of scale, and it seems to be no real logic I think.
    this is noticeable on the car, which looks washed out with an aquarelle effect, and not rusty and old.

And the jerrican is too big, maybe. ^^
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    the models look good but the textures still need refining I think. why is the car covered in white noise? its like someone has rubbed chalk on it. I would expect paint to pale a bit over time but not go white, like this

Rusty-Old-Car-Isolated-1144069.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Thanks for feedback! You are right that I need to adjust textures and shaders. I´m like blind for my own mistakes :) I didn´t look any reference for that texture and this was the result. I´m going to fix those next.

Here is a fast render from ZBrush of the hi-poly models that were used for baking textures.
    ehq1.jpg
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
  • ToffeeApple
    Offline / Send Message
    ToffeeApple polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with Ged - the models look great but the textures are a bit noisy. I suggest checking out Racer's tutorial - http://oesterkilde.dk/racer445.html

The blue newspaper dispenser is heading in the right direction texturing wise. The car material really stands out as needing some more work.
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Thanks for the feedback! It´s been a long time since I last touched this project. I fixed a lot of those issues that you pointed. I also made a little study of how the car paint is going to worn. I also tuned almost all the textures to fit better.

Here is the latest:

i7wn.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome work!
    I'd agree with the general consensus too that the textures let the models down a bit, they are all super washed out apart the the Old Post model. Looks like they just need a lot more saturation and solid colour in places. Perhaps its the lack of dark shadows/shading across major areas?
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    I wasn´t fully happy how it turned out in Unreal so I had and opportunity to test Marmoset Toolbag 2 and http://i.imgur.com/EMrknJP.gif My life changed so much better. It´s so fast to do awesome stuff with this that it´s like cheating.

I re-worked some of the textures to fit better in PBR. It took so long time in Unreal to just create materials and test different things but in Marmoset you have almost instant results that look good. PBR enables much easier material defenitions like metal, sand etc... IBL is also so awesome and switching from one sky to another makes different lighting setups fast and scene looks good in all of them thanks to physical based rendering.

9sr8.jpg

zaj6.jpg

99t5.jpg

3d4h.jpg

d9uy.jpg
  • mettigel
    Offline / Send Message
    mettigel polycounter lvl 6
    This looks very very nice!
  • Shilo
    Hi, looks nice! Some quick comments: that waterpost looks nice but feels out
    of place in this diorama/scene. Also I would revisit that car texture and material.. the dirt feels
    bit too monotonic and brushed that those other props don't have.
    But good work!
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing renders !
  • kimmokaunela
    Offline / Send Message
    kimmokaunela ngon master
    Thanks all! I see a lot of mistakes here when I look at it now. It was my first test with PBR so a lot of maps are wrong. Maybe I revisit it one day.