Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

District 9 weapon.

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Rageleet polycounter lvl 6
hey polycounters! had a quick question about unwrapping / need advice, so iv been working on this district 9 weapon, and i just wanted some feedback on my unwrapping, the lowpoly has quite a high tri count @ 4k and iv been struggling to get a nice res on my bakes any feedback / suggestions would be awesome thank you :)

quick note on workflow

-highpoly quick details

-lowpoly / unwrap / Bake (issues are here)

- Fix issues with Ndo2 / add details / texture.

maps here are AT 2048/2048

hp.jpg

lp.jpg

Uvs.jpg

Weapon_N.jpg
Thanks Guys any help would be great my main issue is res really, Iv kept all my islands the same ration to each other with the exception of some elements like the gas canisters ETC.

Replies

• Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback although i feel as if i could get / should be getting alot better res i eventually want these textures to be 1024/ especially if they were going to go into a game i honestly dont think the details would hold up.
  • nyloc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nyloc polycounter lvl 8
    looks great so far, will be cool to see some color and final maps applied
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slow week :(, new bakes with some placeholder Cav / AO. add some more normal details tomorrow yay :)
    Test_bake_added_detail.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I would really use more polys for that, what is your intention ? It looks like it is meant for a smartphone FPS.
    Why destroy the shape if nobody tells you to do so ?

Also those cylinders look like they are too small in diameter from what I remember (not sure there) and on your UV is a bunch of free space : P
  • PhoenixWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PhoenixWolf polycounter lvl 9
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feedback :), i work in the mobile industry so its very easily for me to get to carried away with optimisation and push towards that area. ;) need to break the habbit, i gave myself a limit of 3k when i started, im at 4k so ive gone over that alot :(

i wasn't clear, that uv sheet above is a little miss leading as its missing information like on the right hand side that's actually where all the cylinder information is, but still you are right the shells have to much padding in places.

Test_bake_added_detail_02.jpg

Uvs_02-1.jpg

looking at those uvs shells now i see so much pixel loss.
  • Rageleet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    colour_needed1.jpg

extreme delay on update :P basic shader setup and textures, this has really taught me the importance of uv layouts, way not enough res for what i wanted.