Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

World of Warcraft fan art

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Delira polycounter lvl 4
Hi guys,

Here's my first 3D model, a WoW Night Elf fanart.
I never thought I'd get to complete it and I'm happy with all the things I've learned.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCEHpKC0x9I"]Turnable here[/ame]

ne_wowfanart_delia_mihai.jpg

ne_front_hp_delira.jpg

ne_semiprofil_hp_delira.jpg

ne_back_hp_delira.jpg

Replies

• tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    First 3d model? sheesh that's impressive, you have natural talent! Great work.
    Just a few things you can take with you the next time you do something.

Count statistics in triangles not polygons as models are usually triangulated in-engine.
    That is quite a high tri count I'm assuming. Could you post wires? I'm sure it could be optimized a lot.
    The color scheme is good also, although don't night elfs have a purple skin tone? I also think the green hair could be slightly stronger.
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    tynew wrote: »
    First 3d model? sheesh that's impressive, you have natural talent! Great work.
    Just a few things you can take with you the next time you do something.

Count statistics in triangles not polygons as models are usually triangulated in-engine.
    That is quite a high tri count I'm assuming. Could you post wires? I'm sure it could be optimized a lot.
    The color scheme is good also, although don't night elfs have a purple skin tone? I also think the green hair could be slightly stronger.

Thank you.
    And sure, wires are viewable in turnable, also here's a shot :)

ne_wowfanart_delia_mihai_wire.jpg
  • Rokugan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rokugan polycounter lvl 7
    First 3D model? Wait,wut? °-° That's too good to be a first model! Explain yer secret nau!
  • Anya Starr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love this-the textures are really awesome!!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    needs more work on the colours, expand your pallet just a little, get some contrast in there, and this will be a fantastic first piece.

i think 2k polies is a liiittle high for something like this though, you could have shed quite a few on the shoulder pads, particularly where the spikes are, you could have had the spikes as separate geometry floating through the pads, and have the pads keep a consistent poly flow across them, for example.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I think you can lose a few poly around his ears and eyebrows. You can also delete the inside of the shoulder pads.

He looks pretty impressive though.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    also, i've just noticed the angle of his face is extremely odd. i'd almost say reverse it so that the chin is further forward and the forhead is further back.
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    Rokugan wrote: »
    First 3D model? Wait,wut? °-° That's too good to be a first model! Explain yer secret nau!
    For now a ton of time, hoping to get faster though :)
    Anya Starr wrote: »
    I love this-the textures are really awesome!!
    Thanks so much Anya!
    i think 2k polies is a liiittle high for something like this though, you could have shed quite a few on the shoulder pads, particularly where the spikes are, you could have had the spikes as separate geometry floating through the pads, and have the pads keep a consistent poly flow across them, for example.
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I think you can lose a few poly around his ears and eyebrows. You can also delete the inside of the shoulder pads.

He looks pretty impressive though.

True, I could have added more optimization. Probably I should have done just a plane for the eyebrows. Eyebrows alone have 368 polys, while eyes 160. Also there's the back of the hair and head & the inside of the body, not only the inside of shoulders.
    But I didn't wanted to get things too bulky. My goal was not to go over 2k polys. I preferred more detail :)

I'll do better next time.
    Thanks

wire_2delia_mihai.jpg

wire_4delia_mihai.jpg

wire_3delia_mihai.jpg
  • Abdullah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st as in what? serious attempt? but looks very impressive. good work.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ I am thinking yea 1st serious attempt doing a little fishing and you can find the answers easily enough:
    http://delira.artworkfolio.com/gallery/658843#9
    ^ Checking the profile here.

You have a nice body... of conceptual art designing specifically the 2D character works.
    This came out pretty good as already stated, the eyebrows might do with some reduction but for a bust I say it is good to go and shows what you can do.
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    Abdullah wrote: »
    1st as in what? serious attempt? but looks very impressive. good work.
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    ^ I am thinking yea 1st serious attempt doing a little fishing and you can find the answers easily enough:
    http://delira.artworkfolio.com/gallery/658843#9
    ^ Checking the profile here.

You have a nice body... of conceptual art designing specifically the 2D character works.
    This came out pretty good as already stated, the eyebrows might do with some reduction but for a bust I say it is good to go and shows what you can do.

Hi guys, glad you like it!

Yes, first 3D attempt by myself.
    I have some background but only in illustrations, concepts and 2D textures on models done by colleagues or friends.
    Except this, I did some zbrush doodles to get familiar with the software but I haven't got through with all the stages.

This is a new start for me to get better on all levels.
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    really good, did u paint the textures urself?
  • Delira
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delira polycounter lvl 4
    really good, did u paint the textures urself?
    Yes & thank you. :)