Home Technical Talk

Ambient Occlusion Pass is fully white

I followed this tutorial:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ku9EYcFZoAk"]3ds Max Ambient Occlusion and Relfection Pass - YouTube[/ame]

I spent 2 hours looking for answers but I haven't found any solutions. I messed around with the max distance but it didn't help. This is what it looks like when I render the UVW Unwrap eqwoqln.png?1

and this is what it looks like when I render it normallyr8EpwDn.png?1 .

EDIT: I FINALLY FIXED IT! I went back to the very first link I opened on the question after I decided to give up searching. I guess I skipped what some guy said about FG because I didn't know what it was and didn't think I had it on. Well, apparently FG stands for Final Gather and I did have it on. After turning it off it finally worked! This is what it looks like now f86rptD.png?1?9212

Replies

• Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    ao works by casting multiple rays in a hemisphere and seeing how many hit the sky (white) or hit the surface of the model (black), your model dosen't have many surfaces that occlude other surfaces from the sky. Try adding a floor and see what happens.
  • Parkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie wrote: »
    ao works by casting multiple rays in a hemisphere and seeing how many hit the sky (white) or hit the surface of the model (black), your model dosen't have many surfaces that occlude other surfaces from the sky. Try adding a floor and see what happens.

Thank you for your answer, but that wasn't it. I just had to turn off FG.
  • Parkas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoke too soon. Now when I open it in photoshop it comes out black and white.