Home Unreal Engine

Physical Baised Materials [UDK]

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
I was just doing some tests in UDK to see if I couldn't figure out physical biased materials.
Reff
RoughnessReflection_zps336502b2.png

RoughnessChart_zpsa3cafb8b.png

Test
PhysicalBaisedShaders_zpsa3fdbc2a.jpg

Right now the material is pretty clean and basic so far if anyone has any ideas to improve it I'm all ears.

Replies

• AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to the best of my knowledge a straight technical artist might be better for making an example of this but I had fun creating this. I'm thinking if I choose to implement this I will need a reflective map to dictate where the reflectivity is. I've heard others refer to it as a roughness map.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    PBR requires code changes to work correctly, basically.

Check this thread:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124683
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    you need changes to the lighting system for it to work correctly, but you can still make a reasonable estimate.

also, i would interpret the maps as the following:
    Albedo ~ Diffuse
    Roughness ~ Gloss
    Reflectance ~ Specular

the reason for the difference in terms is probably as follows:
    Albedo is pure colour, no lighting information baked in like we do currently with diffuse maps.
    Roughness is calculated in a specifically measured way and requires a 0-1 input only. Gloss can interpolate that input to a greater range where Roughness "shouldn't".
    Reflectance is again, a measured value for a material. there are plenty of sources online which you can get the measured reflective colours for various materials. typically speaking, most non-metals fall into a white 0.04 range, while metals (having no albedo and being pure reflection) have much higher, coloured reflectance. Specular is something that, along with gloss, artists have to fudge to get a pleasing look.

overall, PBR is more about measured results rather than mixing in 3 different maps in different proportions to achieve a look.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel dumb for trying ^^ haha
    Humm I assume the next Unreal will have it imbedded into the code guess I'll just have to wait till that comes out. :/