Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ysalex Anatomy Practice Thread (nsfw)

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Slowly figuring some of the deeper stuff out. Revisited the head a bit. Now I have to go in and fix parts of the body, then finish diffuse etc.

I'm still planning on doing the whole still, but a series of tests and other work have relegated this to mostly background test rendering for now, render and forget about it.

4iOBGQ2.jpg
  • MarsLaTours
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MarsLaTours polycounter lvl 9
    I've lurked this whole thread and read everything. I've almost forgotten that I'm french.

This thread is golden and every crits are a treasure. I wish I have that acknowledge to point out what it is not correct. All I could have say about your post would have been stuff like "amazing", "stunning" or "cool" and now I see that it is not relevant and doesn't help people to get better.

But, again, I'm a noob, so, YOU're AMAZING sir, deal with it lol.
  • carlobarley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carlobarley polycounter lvl 9
    this thread is so inspiring and im learning a lot :) keep going sir! subscribed
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    Out of curiosity, what are you rendering this in? just zbrush?
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    ysalex, i can be wrong, but for me it looks like you missed sternum influence in your last work, take a look here
    tumblr_lvgym8PFAx1qc9ph7o1_1280.jpg

PS: nice figure reference collection: http://figuresfordrawing.tumblr.com/
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    hope you dont mind and take again with a pinch of saltey goodness :) haha

I think her hands and feet look too large and her arms are too long, her hands should cover her lady parts if you rotate them inwards. Also looks like the distance between crotch and belly button is too short. Ive pulled the inner parts of the breast towards the sternum aswell, might be good to emphasise the ribs too due to her body type.

ysalex_fem_paintover_new.gif

shes looking great though, just a few things I noticed that may help :)
  • eneash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eneash polycounter lvl 9
    Woaw, Very nice work here; well, I'm a Z newbie, but I want to learn to sculpt heads like that, do you know where can I start?? (I mean good tutorials etc..)

I may need some good tutorials and a lot of time...

Regards!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you crazyfool, I feel like a lot of those changes make good sense. My main reference when I was modeling, which I need to dig up and post, has a bit of the wider shoulder and longer arm thing going, but I feel like I have exagerated them somehow.

Here were the two most recent shader tests. One is too matte, with too much noise on the face surface, but better scattering, and the other is too reflective, with a better amount of surface noise but worse scattering. I need to find a balance between these tests.

gqupD2k.jpg

TmUDjHI.jpg
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Ysalex, you're doing awesome work, keep it up man!!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Messing with this quite a bit, screwed up some of it pretty bad. Specular layer is better but I removed the gloss completely so that will have to be redone. I also removed the scatter radius map, so everything scatters evenly for now, which is why parts of the skin seem overdone with red, and individual pores are shining like beacons.

I really tried to get in and paint imperfections for testing, one of these has more than the other. I think that I might go with one of these for the diffuse, and then do a makeup layer over it by using the 'overall' and 'diffuse' channels for storing the makeup texture and information.

With a good enough scatter radius map, or setting up the overall correctly, the makeup will also mask the SSS effect like it normally would.

Finally, I redialed the displacement map a post or so back. I believe that the displacement map is turning the eyelid geometry inside out, which is causing the blackness at the eyes to seem deep and incorrect. I need to sort that out as well.

3PIRzXF.jpg
    2t84BFM.jpg
    XbTCvg8.jpg
    F85FsQL.jpg
  • CordellC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CordellC polycounter lvl 11
    Jesus. Really amazing work, man.
  • DESMOND
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DESMOND polycounter lvl 8
    Great work,man! Have you any tutorials or "making of" ? I want to know how make skin shader :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys. Desmond, I just find tutorials everywhere. I also read long abandonded threads by people who are doing amazing work. CGFEEDBACK.com is a great place for this. Travel backwards through the top-row and click on the ones you like, and chances are it's a WIP thread with a lot of great advice and help from other great artists. I learned a ton this way.

For now a shader update. Need to work on the specular. Next update will have gloss maps and better spec, etc.

A5fde5S.jpg
  • gyarados
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wew.. very realistic and beautiful face. Iam sure if you keep this up you will get top row at zbc this time :)

i have a question how did you get the blood vessels to look like that? ( did you do anything special or is it just in the diffuse slot?)

same question for the makeup.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks gyarados, the blood vessels are in both the scatter layer and the diffuse, as are the pores. In the diffuse, they are red and cyan, and in the scatter, they are deep red and yellow, which allows them to be alternatingly cool in the shadows where there is less scatter/light penetration, and more visible everywhere else.

Here's where I'm at. I basically have to be done with the shader for now. I will probably add some facial hairs and eyebrows and lashes, and a hat, do a render, and call it a still image. Then to work on the rest of the body. But I have a big project coming up so I won't be able to do much with this anyways.

3AOyRL1.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Where I will go with hair.

aoDkB1u.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Doing work so I have my computer throwing out small test renders in the background. Hair is hard. It also doesn't want to render out in dark lighting, it needs quite a bit of Global Ill. to look decent. Was thinking about doing a moody scene but guess that's out unless I can find a decent solution to that. If anybody knows one...

gy29Ox9.jpg
  • tacit math
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tacit math polycounter lvl 17
    loving this body shape dude. . .
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i think the armpits and the crotch are little too high.

rough paint over: http://i.imgur.com/WV0fnc2.gif
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I think this is looking amazing ysalex!
    Just looked at the paint over tho and I agree with it, I think the armpit definitely looks better a little lower.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Hey, Yuri! At this risk of sounding like a huge kiss-ass, I just wanted to say thanks for putting your stuff out there like this. The progress you've made since starting this thread is astounding, and has been a great inspiration to me. No critiques at this time, just some friendly encouragement.
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking incredible. A small thing to focus on, but I REALLY like her eye makeup. :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thank you MM that paintover is really helpful.

Worked on the hair.

First one is raw state of the render.

Second one is just something I thought was kind of cool. I was having trouble getting transparency working correctly in the hair, so I made up a couple of ramp textures. I took a vrayhairsampler and mapped distance along the hairs to the V coordinates of the color channel. That way I could tell which directions the hairs were running and how to do the transparency. Anyways, the image turned out very colorful.

iqMlII9.jpg

L59TtDS.jpg
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Oh my god I want that hair. On my head. Ha ha.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Half head of hair currently in place:

gBULeyN.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    shes looking really good dude :) I would revisit the eye brows though as they break the realism for me atm. fantastic job so far though :)
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    looks really great, you have come a long way since you started :D
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Worked on this for about 2.5 weeks. 13K tris. He gets changes of clothing, so each piece has to conform to a general size and shape, but I can play around with it. Everything is supposed to be changeable, (hair, eye color, etc.), so his textures are a bit hacky.

Textured shots are from Marmoset, but he's built for Unity. Sorry about the weirdness on the Maya renders, but after focusing on this guy for 2-3 weeks I was just having some fun doing something other than realtime.

hU9qtld.jpg
    sA9XWEk.jpg
    9sZXTnX.jpg
    R9exJn6.jpg
    rxifd4d.jpg
    NuXtZmt.jpg
    mI8TGCW.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice work on these, very clean and balanced.

my few crits would be that the teeth are blown out too bright and the edge of the eyeballs are over darkened. also the spec seems a bit too much.
    for the spec, you seem to have tinted it blue too much to counter the skin tone which is actually not needed afaik in marmoset skin shader(i am not 100% sure on this though) so the spec looks too blue/purple -ish rather than natural white spec of skin.

btw, is any part of this based on 3d scan data ? either way nice work!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks MM, and thanks for the crits. No scan data here unfortunately, It would have been a huge help though. I got stuck trying to do a likeness based on a handful of photos from a Facebook page, haha.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with MM, other than that, lookin nice!
    I'm really diggin that plaid shirt too.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks man. I updated the textures to take care of the things MM pointed out, also a couple of small deformation issues. Appreciate it guys.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Spent a night doing look development on a new character, playing around mostly with the face.

I totally abused my body basemesh. Other than very minor anatomy changes and new polypaint, it's pretty much the same model, this was mostly just a focus on the face and attitude of things, see what I liked.

LrzR9SF.jpg
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Great stuff, you've really come a long way in a short time. I can see several bad habits unlearned from the early stuff :)
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Is that hair inspired by Janell Monae?
    janelle_monae_vma.jpg

Looks good. When I was first looking, I thought the head was too small-- not sure why-- but I brought it into photoshop, and she's about 7.75 heads tall, which is within range (and even is a bit bigger than what many anatomy teachers tell you to do), so nevermind about that.

The curvature in the mustache area is sort of bothering me, but it's not an unrealistic shape or anything. Just an aesthetic choice, I guess.

Also, I think you should hint at the ribcage a bit more. I can hardly tell there is one.

Here's an image illustrating some of that.

8aGUS7j.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey thanks Joopson, those are some great crits. I was having troubles with the rib cage (still am). I liked your paintover of where it should be. And yeah she was the inspiration for the hair, although the hair would change. Always liked her music.

For an update, I did some body work, trying to get a different vibe. She's a bit stockier, with shorter than ideal legs, but without going overboard. The head is also bigger to make her feel shorter, although I am considering just a bit bigger still.

Y03fkLL.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    CyP3ljN.jpg

Mask out the cloth, extract, zremesher, and you get pretty decent and instant topology to build on. Amazing how fast it lets you move.

E7IGcDj.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    New face, same old basemesh. Still testing looks.
    Q8MqIaF.jpg

Old model, grey render.
    5g8KPka.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    She look so alice, loving this!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Is "so Alice" a phrase you're trying to start? I like it, it's streets ahead.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hahaha God I should read myself sometimes !!
    I was trying to say she look so alive :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    wow..that's amazing!
  • silver_hoodlum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    silver_hoodlum polycounter lvl 4
    really looking forward to what u come up with the bikini lady, it has some really good anatomy realistic feeling, well done. Keep it up
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    nice work dude. she does look totally alice ;)

are the renders from vray?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys. Mr ace I've been waiting to see a finished version of the snowboarder girl. Yeah the renders are vray for maya.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sorry about all the nudity, haven't decided what clothing she gets yet. Considering some sort of 80's windbreaker.

Hair needs quite a bit of work to get it curly enough for my liking. Having a hard time doing that with Maya HairSystem.

INWxKaY.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I wouldn't feel sorry about posting naked humans in an anatomy practice thread ;)

Take this with a grain of salt but I think the back side of the corner of her jaw needs some more definition. I mean the line that goes down from the earlobe(next to the mastoid muscle) in the last image. It seems to be forming a corner where the jaw joins the neck which looks weird.

Can't wait for the next update, keep it up!
  • Razorb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razorb polycounter lvl 15
    I just wanted to jump in and say I love how natural your models are! its really nice to see!

<3!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys. EmAr I will look into that.

Tonights update. The shirt is untextured and has no fine detail. Also, the materials are not linear, breaking my linear workflow and blowing the white and blue out. Eyes are also colorless it looks like, but now they are more realistically modeled and hopefully in the end I can get them to look more real than the older ones.

ILWESSe.jpg