Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

LOW-POLY ART

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
hawken polycounter lvl 19
This is the sweet spot for your low-poly models. Post 'em if you've got 'em!

Low-poly hasn't really been a requirement in the games industry for a long while now. This thread is for low-poly art style appreciation, so please take note of these rough guidelines:
  • Keep models under 1,000 triangles.
  • Scenes are fine, if all models are low poly.
Some dedicated low-poly modelling tools now exist that make this art style a lot easier to produce; Crocotile3D & Blockbench

Here's a handy list of ways to make your art look right in mainstream 3D software: Low-Poly Art Style Guide

Replies

• nightz
    More updates on my capture the book game :)
    Realtime shadows (from point lights), decals (blood), faster sprite code (for torches)
    and a completely rewritten network code:
    Q4RQbu2.jpg
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    hardware wrote: »
    thanks.
    i'm planning on pulling it way down to around 700tris for the next few models
    the first model was just me trying to get the hang of the program quickly
    this one i was more concerned with workflow, making interchangable clothes using layers, animation rigging, and the camera

the next one i do will definitely be more about poly economy

aside from that
    i was surprised at how low the learning curve was. the biggest thing to tackle was the interface, but once you get into it its pretty great. and its free so i can use it at work.

At least you were learning with the current interface and not the 2.49 one (which is where I started), that one truly was awkward to work with :poly117:.

To get back on topic, out of interest would you be able to show some wires for the turntable model. I really like that style of low poly and I've been experimenting with it myself and looking into how other folks have implemented it.
  • hardware
    At least you were learning with the current interface and not the 2.49 one (which is where I started), that one truly was awkward to work with :poly117:.

To get back on topic, out of interest would you be able to show some wires for the turntable model. I really like that style of low poly and I've been experimenting with it myself and looking into how other folks have implemented it.

see, this post is already paying off. just learned how to make wireframes because apparently, its not easy. lol

base mesh
    innBvcD0b5SOl.gif
    i believe this is around 1.2k tris give or take

head
    ibka0ZntWtIYqm.gif
    took me forever to get the hang of heads but i finally found a tutorial that made sense to me. this has more polys than it should because i got a little confused and excited so i didnt merge a few faces that i probably should have.

full body with clothes
    ifny3OaV7zgvG.gif
    with clothes/hair the model checks in at about 3k

i dabbled with 2.4 way back and it really turned me off from blender and 3d in general at the time. i figured it was a bridge too far and stuck to 2d.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Hey man, the character looks nice.

I think the model could use some optimizing though. Especially around the body, its very blocky so all those vertices aren't really needed.

There are some seems at the sides of the character, the stripes don match up perfectly.
  • hardware
    bb0x wrote: »
    Hey man, the character looks nice.

I think the model could use some optimizing though. Especially around the body, its very blocky so all those vertices aren't really needed.

There are some seems at the sides of the character, the stripes don match up perfectly.

i agree
    there are A LOT of extra vertices. i'm super welcome to suggestions about where i can tighten the mesh up for future reference.
  • matt luxton
    Offline / Send Message
    matt luxton polycounter lvl 12
    oops wrong thread..
  • parallel
    Offline / Send Message
    parallel polycounter lvl 3
    i agree
    there are A LOT of extra vertices. i'm super welcome to suggestions about where i can tighten the mesh up for future reference.

Since your are not having any stomach definition, you could easily loose some of the torso's 'coloumns', also the sleeves have quite a few un-necessary edge loops, as in they don't seem to be defining features or aiding skinning/ animation purposes. See some of the topology material in the polycount wiki.
  • hardware
    parallel wrote: »
    See some of the topology material in the polycount wiki.

awesome!
    thank you
  • Mimiws
    Offline / Send Message
    Mimiws polycounter lvl 6
    @Wanderyen lovely female titan!! making me inspire to make eren titan :)

so much inspiration in this thread. i also love to learn how to make those pixel textured.
    i just want to share what i have worked on over the week and now its time to make new low poly stuff :) hope u like it
    render.jpg
    render.jpg
  • Tennis
    Offline / Send Message
    Tennis polycounter lvl 16
    a small selection of building i did for a city building game im currently working on.
    can't take credit for the textures, i only did the modeling.

adventuretown.jpg

buildings range from 100 to 300 poly, tried to keep them as lowpoly as possible as you will end up with a lot of them on screen. the game will be out on ios and android later this year

@Wanderyen looks really nice
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kenneth amazing work! No crits but I will say your signature links are missing a '/' so getting a 404 error when visiting them :)
  • Fizzly
    Offline / Send Message
    Fizzly polycounter lvl 8
    Very nice Tennis :)!

Had some fun after dinner tonight, still need to clean up the texture a bit. Around 750 triangles.

dV51osw.jpg
  • Yog-Shoggoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Yog-Shoggoth polycounter lvl 9
    see, this post is already paying off. just learned how to make wireframes because apparently, its not easy. lol

Cheers for posting the wireframes, always nice to see how others put things together.
    took me forever to get the hang of heads but i finally found a tutorial that made sense to me. this has more polys than it should because i got a little confused and excited so i didnt merge a few faces that i probably should have.

I always find heads/faces particularly hard to get looking right too, the number of headless bodies I have littering my WIP folder is in double digits :\
    i dabbled with 2.4 way back and it really turned me off from blender and 3d in general at the time. i figured it was a bridge too far and stuck to 2d.

I think the 2.4 interface had that effect on quite a few people. I persevered, but the 2.5+ interface is just so much better.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff in future. It's got me inspired to get cracking on some of my WIPs and post something here rather than lurking.
  • fatihG_
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    Dat GBC.. brought back so much memories. =']
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Little thingy I'm working on..
    176 triangles so far :)
    picturebase.png

Eu2GM6M.png

jUkrNg8.png
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Commodore, good memories! :D
  • hobodactyl
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    @Mimiws: Nice stuff!
    @Kenneth: Ballah-style as usual :)
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Stylized/hand painted low poly weapons :
    wtx8.jpg
    6tt4.jpg

Kitchen props (some of them are unfinished on this pic) :
    ndiu.jpg

Pixel style with normalmaps:
    u43b.jpg
    c2tg.jpg
    y90i.jpg

Pickups:
    z195.jpg

I made these at my new job for various mobile games :)
  • Spatz
    Offline / Send Message
    Spatz polycounter lvl 13
    Hainsaw wrote: »
    Hey guys, absolutely love all the amazing work in this thread. Was inspired to make this character based off a concept by Andre Mealha a.k.a Browning on CGHub. He's about 650 tris and has a single 512 diff texture, not counting the pedestal and cage. Hope you all like it :)

I wanted to embed the sketchfab version here but the button doesn't seem to work. Here's the link:
    https://sketchfab.com/show/51039b1e48414258a2432c2d452f6669

Screen+Shot+2013-08-30+at+5.20.41+PM.png
    Screen+Shot+2013-08-30+at+5.26.45+PM.pngScreen+Shot+2013-08-30+at+5.27.37+PM.pngScreen+Shot+2013-08-30+at+5.41.03+PM.png

My blog is at:
    http://aaronhainart.blogspot.com/

AWESOME MAN!!!
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Mimiws wrote: »

so much inspiration in this thread. i also love to learn how to make those pixel textured.
    i just want to share what i have worked on over the week and now its time to make new low poly stuff :) hope u like it

render.jpg

Just wanted to say this is nice. I could totally envision a character playing with this in a game.
  • Bill Lumbergh
    Offline / Send Message
    Bill Lumbergh polycounter
    Hey guyz! here is a really Low Poly container! 6 Polys only!
    I did the high poly in Zbrush/Maya and baked into a cube in maya! rendered in Marmoset

same workflow for the fire hydrant and traffic cone

more of my stuff can be seen here guyz as well
    hope you like it!

http://pierrebenjamin.cghub.com/
    http://pierrebenjamin.tumblr.com/
    http://pierrebenjamin.com/

609_max.jpg
    193_max.jpg

601_max.jpg

781_max.jpg

879_max.jpg
  • Saigo
    Great stuff in this thread as always!
    @Hainsaw: That character is really great. I love how the texture is very clean but still detailed

Here's a small prop I made for a game I'm currently working on:
    rvOoXRF.png
  • dsant3d
  • YellowSub
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowSub polycounter lvl 7
    @dsant3d: Nice! How did u make the texture? looks so real!! O.O
  • SleepingGiant
    Offline / Send Message
    SleepingGiant polycounter lvl 5
    Welcoming the Fall

Fall+Pixy.jpg

fall+pixy+2.jpg
  • huffer
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    awesome stuff here!

tumblr_mtblexOQ3n1r8l7sfo1_500.jpg
    low poly diorama, trying hand painted textures
  • respawnrt
    Offline / Send Message
    respawnrt polycounter lvl 8
    huffy ! :thumbup:
  • dsant3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dsant3d polycounter lvl 4
    @YellowSub Thank you. You should check out Recap by Autodesk. It is a program that creates models from images. I then had to retopo the mesh create UVs and in Mudbox I transferred the texture from the recap mesh to my newly created mesh. I had to fix the texture in Photoshop to remove some of the lighting so that it is lit more so by the scene lights. Now that you know the process it doesn't seem as cool :) (kind of like a magic trick) Here is a link to Recap seems like a pretty powerful tool to me:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toqjVkjYrIw"]Autodesk Anaheim User Event 2013 - From Reality to Unity - YouTube[/ame]
  • christermime
    Offline / Send Message
    christermime polycounter lvl 8
    Mimiws wrote: »

render.jpg

I love this RO stuff! Brings me back and really captures the charm well.
  • YellowSub
    Offline / Send Message
    YellowSub polycounter lvl 7
    @dsant3d: No, it's even cooler now that I know it's from bunch of real life images :D
    Amazing tool! thanks for sharing man
  • Lazdena
    I spent the last 4-5 days making my first textured human being, and I think it came out pretty good.

WbbNYSQ.png

The hair alone took me like 2 days to figure out how to do it right. Could use improvement, but this is miles away from the stuff I was doing just a month ago.
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Working on a side project with a friend of mine and we're still doing some style exploration.

sdjlzkS.jpg

RqUXBdS.jpg

We're definitely leaning towards a bolder style, with hard, strong silhouettes. Good news is that this kind of style allows for low poly counts. The head here sits at 252 tris.

b2Umt91.jpg

Also exploring modular assets.

EegI7UM.jpg

And examples of those modular assets equipped.
  • bigmandrawing
    amazing stuff you guys keep up the good work
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Love love love this, such a great style! And ace stuff on your site too; looking forward to more!
  • WipEout
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Sketchfab does not like its normals faced towards each other with alphas. Double it up and face them away from each other and see if that works. It accepts both .png and .jpeg for alpha. No .tgahttps://sketchfab.com/faq

I really like your gif turntable. How did you do that? can After Effects render out Gifs? Pretty awesome.

Bit late to the party, but this blog post might help you out with alphas in Sketchfab, if you're still having issues:

http://tmblr.co/ZpQmrsrmngFu

I couldn't get my clown model to display alphas properly until I installed the 3DS Max export plugin and followed the techniques described in that link.
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    klamp wrote: »
    Working on a side project with a friend of mine and we're still doing some style exploration.

sdjlzkS.jpg

RqUXBdS.jpg

We're definitely leaning towards a bolder style, with hard, strong silhouettes. Good news is that this kind of style allows for low poly counts. The head here sits at 252 tris.

b2Umt91.jpg

Also exploring modular assets.

EegI7UM.jpg

And examples of those modular assets equipped.

Looking good! The lighting is a bit weird at the nose, though, maybe you'd benefit from welding it to the head mesh? Any specific reason why you did the nose separately anyway?
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Amazing job dude, have you baked these textures from a highpoly model?
    Free_Fall wrote: »
    Little thingy I'm working on..
    176 triangles so far :)
    picturebase.png

Eu2GM6M.png

jUkrNg8.png
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Looking good! The lighting is a bit weird at the nose, though, maybe you'd benefit from welding it to the head mesh? Any specific reason why you did the nose separately anyway?

Thanks man! I didn't attach the nose because I figured it would be an easy way to make a bolder silhouette while saving on polys.

I can try attaching it, though, if you think it's really weird. I kinda liked the way the shadows were sharper near the bridge of the nose due to it not being attached, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.
  • dsant3d
    Offline / Send Message
    dsant3d polycounter lvl 4
    @YellowSub Anytime. Glad you liked it.

@klamp Great stuff. I really like the stylized look. I would have to agree with felipefrango the nose looks a little strange. Maybe adding a little bit of a gradient from the top of the nose will help. Awesome stuff none the less!
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    @tucho: Thanks man! :D Yeah, I baked them from a highpoly model! I've just finished the monitor and I'm going to do a bake with all bits mapped out on a single texture now :)

EDIT: Here's a testbake of the whole thing, still needs details though
    d1RYrcb.png?1
  • hardware
    Thanks man! I didn't attach the nose because I figured it would be an easy way to make a bolder silhouette while saving on polys.

I can try attaching it, though, if you think it's really weird. I kinda liked the way the shadows were sharper near the bridge of the nose due to it not being attached, but I can definitely see where you're coming from.

i had the same question but the more i look at it, the more i like the way the nose breaks the shadow
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    dsant3d wrote: »
    @klamp Great stuff. I really like the stylized look. I would have to agree with felipefrango the nose looks a little strange. Maybe adding a little bit of a gradient from the top of the nose will help. Awesome stuff none the less!

Fair enough. I'll do another pass and post it up when I'm finished. Thanks for the crits!
  • felipefrango
    Offline / Send Message
    felipefrango polycounter lvl 9
    Hmm, I can see the intention, I guess it just looks a bit too sharp for my tastes cause it sort of stands out, like its sharp only BECAUSE the nose is a separate mesh, not cause you intended it from an art direction standpoint. I think you could weld the nose in and still have the same effect, it would only make it look more polished. :D
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Tweaked the shadow transition area near the top of the nose, based on some great feedback from felipefrango and dsant3d (thanks guys!)

ypIAeY8.jpg
  • Xelioth
    Tweaked the shadow transition area near the top of the nose, based on some great feedback from felipefrango and dsant3d (thanks guys!)
    Ok, this is pretty nit-picky, but I think the nose is still a LITTLE disjointed looking, and I think a tiny little extra bit of shading at the top of the nose would help. Here's what I mean (only edited on the left head):

polycount_paintover_by_xelioth-d6n0el8.gif
  • Free_Fall
    Offline / Send Message
    I'ma spam some more of this badboy

wip42.png
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Xelioth wrote: »
    Ok, this is pretty nit-picky, but I think the nose is still a LITTLE disjointed looking, and I think a tiny little extra bit of shading at the top of the nose would help. Here's what I mean (only edited on the left head):

polycount_paintover_by_xelioth-d6n0el8.gif

I think that's a fair statement and not too nit-picky. It does look better with the addition you made. I'll fix that up and post again when it's done.

Thanks! :D
  • klamp
    Offline / Send Message
    klamp polycounter lvl 14
    Tweaked the nose shadow again. I also set up the face to allow for multiple hair selections. Whiskers abound!

vA1Wsgp.jpg
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    lovely style! I really like those shapes and colors!
  • AndrewB
    Hi - Just finished this low poly model of a mail box. Let me know what you think!
    Mailbox_Presentation.jpg