Home Unreal Engine

How to STOP animation blending in UDK.

Hey guys

Me and a friend are modding a belt fed machine gun into killing floor, a udk based game using the 2004 system (i think).

Unfortunately im running into some rather frustrating problems.

UDK seems to want to blend my animations together. My machine gun has a flexible but limited belt, which feeds into the gun when fired, then jumps back to its prior position over the space of a frame. Creating the illusion of feed.

However, UDK (or perhaps killing floor itself) dosent like this jump, and smoothes it out. In effect creating a belt being fed into the gun, and then kinda rewinding out again.

Is there any way i can mitigate this or turn this off. I have considered increasing my frames per second to 100, and then doing the reset in the space of two frames there, because i hypothesise that udk is infact creating curves in the spaces between frames to allow it to slow motion.

Any input is greatly appreciated guys c:

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    check your animtree -- there should be a blendtime option depending on what nodes you used to set the tree up. I had the same problem -- it was set to .2 by default (or some really tiny number) which caused my anims to blend. Setting this to 0 made my animations snap into place with no blend.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    You also need to make sure its set as a looping animation. Else it will interp between the end frame and the start.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/AnimSetEditorUserGuide.html
  • Fluff-Co
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the speedy response, ive read through the userguide posted there, and looked for an anim tree, but im using UT2004 (Build 2004-11-11_1048) and i cant seem to find any of those features. Im assuming they werent around when this version was made. I just find it odd that you would make an animation blending function, and then not bother to give it any options or controls :/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEnJl2LfJVA

Theres the gun in question. On the hipfire i just upped the framerate to 100frames, so its less apparent, but still noticeable if you look, will probably just up that to 200 to try and make it so fast you cant see it, the ironsight fire is unchanged, and you can quite clearly see the rewind there.
  • Parkar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parkar polycounter lvl 18
    Unless I remember wrong I think you need to do this from unreal script but it should definitely be possible.

The general idea should be to setup an event on the end of the animation and from there reset it back to the first frame.

Been quiet some time since I did anything in Unreal Engine 2 so hopefully I am not pointing you in the wrong direction.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    There still should be an option in the anim editor in UT2k4 to indicate the behaviour of the sequence. Select the sequence and check the animation properties part of the editor. There should be something there for loop vs rewind or something like that.