Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[BL1]Purple Ice- Borderlands Meth Lab

s6
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
s6 polycounter lvl 10

Anyone whose played either Borderlands has heard from Crazy earl from time to time. "Whatchu want?" Well, I'm glad you asked earl. I want to see whats inside your shack!

I plan on creating from scratch the interior of crazy earls place in Bl2 within the borderlands 1 engine (playable/downloadable). The idea is that he is a drug king pin and turns out all the eridium people give him, He turns into crystal meth. More commonly known as purple Ice on the streets of pandora. Interior will be complete with boarded up windows, quadrupole teared door lock, small bed turned into a stripper pole/pad, hookers corpse, bunch of random crack addict type of stuff, and obviously, The main attraction, A variety of scientific makeshift equipment for cooking rocks! Such as heating elements, baking trays, vials, Beakers, Tubes, Bottles of chemical junk, And a big ol high temperature oven.

This piece is going to mainly a portfolio piece, So Aesthetics>most all else. But it will be playable for the crew that still runs Bl1. You'll be able to drop into the area, put around a little bit, And pick up a new weapon called "The Crack Pipe" and grenade Mod.

Following the "From scratch" point of this, The Crack Pipe will be entirely new(model, textures, effects, etc) as will the Grenade mod. Along with a new lootable chest for them to sit in. I might even make it a micro mission for funnzies. With a 3 point "collect Easter eggs" kinda thing. But we'll see where it goes.

So. Enough yapping. Block out is very blocky, And basic at this point. likely going to be subject to a lot of change, But it's got the basic layout of the area. The lamp/stripper pole is my first stab at this texture style, So any feedback on it is welcomed. Bound to improve as I get a feel for what I'm doing. This lamp is Diffuse only. Baked normals for it, But couldn't even tell when they were on/off, so i dropped those. 273 Tris, 1KX512 map(likely to get cut in half, Not sure yet). The bulb will be emissive once in engine, btw. Previewed in marmoset. Once i have a decent amount of assets I'll start putting up in engine shots.

lclvex.png

DhHpou.png

LajZV1.png

Latest highlights:

w03Yzd.png

uOjtE7.png

IBX8k0.png

Replies

• TOBSn08
    Offline / Send Message
    TOBSn08 polycounter lvl 7
    if the rest will have the same quality as the lamp this will be awesome. You'll need a lot more smaller props but you probably know that. I also think you could reduce the polycount on some pieces even more without loosing any shape, look at the table, or ladder, you could break these up more modular (maybe it's for sculpting though).
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Oh yeah, Those are just blockouts. No regard for polycount/topology. Those won't be in game models or anything. Because I don't do so well with concept art, that was my way of "concepting" the space. And imagining how it would look :)

And thanks! More to come soon.
  • Mark Dygert
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    Oh yeah, Those are just blockouts. No regard for polycount/topology. Those won't be in game models or anything. Because I don't do so well with concept art, that was my way of "concepting" the space. And imagining how it would look :)

And thanks! More to come soon.
    Also Known As grayboxing, don't feel bad about the lack of concept skills grayboxing normally happens anyway since you want to get the proportions and pacing right away, even if you have a fully fleshed out concept.

It would be good to get these early block out meshes in the engine and see how they feel, I think you might be a bit small. There is a perceptual scale that takes place in most games and things typically need to be roughly 5-15% bigger and a little more spaced out than they would be in a faithful recreation that was only going to be rendered.

At some point you'll want to try and work on your concepting skills because it really does help knock ideas together faster or paint over a hull, like you have here, to try out different looks and details. It will help, but isn't always necessary to land a job.

Anyway, it looks like you're off to a good start, that stripper pole is rough and nasty tho, they normally are pretty smooth and slick and if they get used they would be pretty smooth, that pole looks painful... but I think you nailed the broken down, chipped up look.

It has the borderlands vibe to it so nice work on the materials.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feedback Mark!

I definitely do need to work on concepting. Painting always ends up in a bunch of frustration for me, But it's totaly worth be able to rapidly prototype ideas before fleshing them out in 3d. So i'll try to work on that through this project!

@ the level size: I'll get it in engine likely today, and see how everything feels. In past modding for BL I definately realized that the space you play in isn't always what it seems when your making it. So I'll make sure to scale everything up a bit and give the player some room to wiggle around :) I may add a section up past the stairs as well.

@Stripper pole: Completely agree. I'm going to have to look at some poles/piping for Bl1 and 2 and see how they did the texture and not make it look like a rusty drain pipe. I'm going to try and keep the scene as effecient as possible so down the road i'll make some generic tilable specular/exponent textures to give all the materials a little more definition. So in game the pole will be a litle glossier, and possible have a brushed look to it.

The pole was really just a over eager test into the texturing/workflow. So i'll likely be focusing on blocking it all out in engine and concept all the various bits over the next few days/week. Really work on the foundation of the area. I want it to turn out as well as possible, So i'm gonna try to take all the right steps :)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Decided to work on things i know i'm going to need while i work the blockout. Will have an updated block out in engine later today. Hopefully a short video of the run around in it so you guys can let me know how the scale feels: :D

PIPES!

800 Tris between the T pipe, Straight pipe and L pipe.

2K Diffuse (may be reduced). And a 1K "oil" texture i used for some color, as well as using the red/blue for gloss and spec breakup. I might just make it into a grayscale, Then used texture cords and constant3's to add colors. Instead of using RGB. Not sure how balls out with materials optimization I want to get.

Need to lighten the darker material a bit. But just some material testing here. Rendered in engine. The heat soaked ones look a lot cooler with light dancing around them :D :

Y0jxk0.png

o6RbMx.png

EUReN8.png

h2B9iU.png

In engine Shot, for those who may be curious. Don't mind naming, That's just my test package :)

BDzQNy.png
  • SA_22
    awesome job on the texturing dude!

scene is going to look sick!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I feel for you now, The inking/hand painted lines are an ass kicker :) Definitely taking some getting used to.

Unrelated, every time i see your avatar i want to make her a playable character in BL1 :D

And thanks!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    very cool, lovin the style !

Think it would be nice if the lampbulb itself had a material, maybe you'd want to use emissive lights from material or something.Anyway, looking forward to more :)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah! For sure. It will once its in engine. That shot was from marmoset mainly promoting the diffuse ^^ It'll be emmisve and illuminating in engine. and thanks!

Here is the very(very) rough and dirty block out. Decided to look up what a hostel actualy is (the building crazy earl is inside) and decided to make it more fitting. So now there's going to be some bunks, Bathroom, Then in the kitchen you'll be able to pass through the fridge and go into the underground meth cooking area :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRQNYBFhz78
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Edit: ignore this. was experimenting with the youtube link -__-

Not sure why i can't seem to embed it. oh well.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    texturing looks spot on
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice texturing! I'll look forward to it!
  • Mark Dygert
    This is coming along great, keep up the good work!
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys! I think they are looking ok, Lot of work to do on the style tho. I've overdone the details on the pipe, So it's overly busy. Same thing happened with this wall.

Still a WIP, But i'm starting to feel like the slashes/concrete break up is way too much. Thought before, It was just a bit overdone, But now i'm wondering if i should just drop the wall tile and start a new one. Let me know what you guys think :)

Edit: Or perhaps paint out some of the damage in ps? Normals are hidden pretty well behind the inking anyway, maybe i can get away with some hand painting on the normals....Hmmm.

*Edited to keep lighter, See below for final texture*

gk5MM8.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Tried to tone It back here. Hopefully a bit closer. Should be able to finish up today. Sorry to keep posting such WIP shots on this single piece, But I'm curious if it looks way off to anyone :)

*Edited to keep the thread lighter, See below*
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Could you show how you went about making the pipes modular? It's a noob question I know, but I'm having difficulty figuring out a good way of doing it in Max :)
  • Mark Dygert
    Could you show how you went about making the pipes modular? It's a noob question I know, but I'm having difficulty figuring out a good way of doing it in Max :)
    Check out the PipeGen Script:
    http://jokermartini.com/2012/12/03/pipes-gen/#.Ugo85JLbNsI

You can do something a little more manual on your own by carefully managing the pivots, carefully placing verts in key spots or placing dummies at the beginning and end of your pipes, making it easy to snap to.

Splines are also great at getting you started, they give you some good UV's to start with also.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    ^^^ That. I took the manual route. Seeing as i'd waste more time finding a script, Install it, learn how to use it, then make the pipe VS just making them :D

Watch your initial cylinder side count though, I messed mine up a bit. So when rotated X amount, The sides don't line up. I used some stupid number like 15 sides...For reasons i don't know :poly136:
  • mbischof
  • DInusty
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    lookin pretty nice so far. texture work is very consistent. do you have any of it applied to the scene yet?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Not yet. Once I get some floor textures painted out i'll likely start throwing things into the scene. Due to the wacky state of the engine i'm working in, ASE and and PSK both have their own disadvantages to importing into the engine. So i'm thinking i'll stick with BSP geometry tools in the engine for the basic surfaces and collisions. So once I have some good textures, I'll start that phase and then you'll get some shots of the stuff in the scene :)

Thanks guys.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    to I'm not sure if its final final. I may go back and revise it, But calling it done for now. The title on it will be pretty obvious, So I'll use some decals, Rag/cloth hanging, and other stuff to add addition breakup so it isn't so obvious.

I'm definitely learning a lot of what not to do on these assets ^^ they turn out pretty well, But each time i find some flaw in the way I'm trying mimic the style. But hopefully each piece gets better and better.

Previewed in marmoset. 2K DN. Likely to get cut in half.

GFAVya.png
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, coming along together real nice! You seem to have pretty much nailed the texture style.

Its 'off duh hizzle' - looking forward to seeing more! :)
  • joeriv
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    You really nailed the style imo, looking forward to see all these pieces come together :)
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    Loving this thread! Keep up the great work man. How did you get that nice weld on the 'T' Joint? Welder 2.0?

:D
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I think the lines on the texture really need thickened up. Little details and lines get noisy. The lines could be 3x thicker.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Sir Apple: Thanks man! Still a lot of learning to do on getting their style perfectly, But things are going nicely so far.

Joeriv: Thanks. Should start getting them in engine/scene soon-ish :)

Polycrunch:

Nothing really fancy there. Just went the manual route with it.

1. Cylinder! With an even amount of sides, will work best.

2. dubplicate, and rotate to intersect with the main cylinder

3. In orthographic view, With Snap to vertices on, Cut the shape of the proxy cylinder(Should snap perfectly, and be exact.

4. Delete the proxy.

5. Delete the faces inside the cut you made, Extrude the border, make the new boarder planar, and cap the end.

6. Run 2 loops at the "bounds" of where you want your bevel to be.

7. Remove the inner edge, Adjust smoothing so that each original cylinder are seperated (SG 1 for Horizontal, SG2 for the intersecting one.) and the bevel between bridges both (SG 1,2,3).

9HskSJ.gif

Because I didn't need a high for the piping, That was the end result, (except i used a few more sides). If you plan on subdividing you'll want to start with more sides.

ZacD: I completely agree! this was my main reference for the wall http://i.imgur.com/qMSDx.jpg

And I definitely did get too focused on the fine line work on the face of the object and forgot to beef them up towards the edges/deeper cracks. Will see if i can add a 1-2 PX stroke on the lines and clean up the tips.

Been itching to do some highpolies, So I'm going to start an eye sensor/keypad piece this morning. I'd like to finish the HP in one day, Then LP/bake/ texture over tomorrow and probably the next day. Unless I work supper quick.

Thanks for all the feedback guys ^^
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Thats really coming along nicely, I did the line work
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    That's looking great, you've got the style right. :)
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work man! Your textures are sweeeet :D
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    snoops3d: WHAT?! I thought I did the line work :) Just playin. Thanks man! Glad you like it.

AbKI: Thanks bud. I'm sure i'll get the texturing more accurate to their style as i do more and more assets. In theory. ^^

CougarJo: Thanks ! More to come soon.
  • snoops3d
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Oh man I'm sooo sorry I meant to say I dig the lighting. Sooo sorry about that
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    It's all good man :) Thanks.

Little WIP! Gonna redo the grip wrap once i sculpt a proper alpha for it in the Bl style (used an old noisy one I had) and ad another piece hanging from tubs off of it, That will connect to the piping on the right. It'll make more sense ones its all finished. its an Erridium fueled security unit ^^

Realistic View port screen grab.

*WIP HP REMOVED To keep things light, Look below*
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice soft edges :) I want mooore Borderlands stuff :D
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah. Tried to make them supper wide so i actualy have some normals showing through after texturing.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Finished HP here. Had a few more hours of work this week than i anticipated. So kinda slow going atm. hope to get Lp and bake done today and texture asap. Hopefully before Sunday ^^

lemme know what you guys think. Its an Erriduim fueled security scanner. The thing on the right will be a thumb print scanner, The other is a security code and eye scanner.

t42cY6.png
  • A-N-P
    Offline / Send Message
    A-N-P polycounter lvl 6
    Nice work, man!

I agree some of the lines in the wall texture need to be a lot thicker (and perhaps less of them) to better match the Borderlands style.

That pipe texture looks great and the scanner high poly is really nice :D

Keep up the great work!
  • ForbiddenDonut
    Gorgeous scanner model, man.

Did you use Zbrush for the tape wraps?

Loving where you're going with all of this.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    A-N-P: Thanks! And for sure, I'm definitely going to go back to the wall texture and beef up some of the line work. And get a less sketchy look

ForbiddenDonut: Thanks, And yes. zbrush for the tape on the sides and (supposedly) cloth wrap on the handle. Materials should read a bit better once texturing is done. About 2/3 way done with inking atm. So hopefully I can finish up the texture tomorrow. Been kinda a busy week. Just wanna get this piece wrapped up so i can move on to floor textures and trim pieces, and actually start getting things in the scene.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Alright. Bit longer than I would have liked on this peice, But I think it turned out well. So I won't complain :)

The black pipes/tubes and lens will have panners/emissives/other material junk in engine to make them look cool. So don't mind their plainness atm.

My only hang up is what to make the "key color" (as if that was a term). But you guys will know what i mean. I don't know if i should make it just another shade of the metal, and fairly descrete, Or go with a nice flashy color. Which looks awesome, But might not make sense for the object.

I did a sheet with just a handful of colors, testing the water, But not sure how I feel about them.

Feel free to do paint overs and hue/sats and lemme know what you guys think. Or simply suggest a color/value and i can throw it on the model in 2 seconds and report back with an image :)

2k Diffuse/Normal. Going to be Cut in half for final prop. 2500~ tris. Mesh will be separated into the scanner, The switch, and the thumb scanner. So i can use all 3 independent of each other in level.

Previewed in Marmoset

Edit: Need to tone back some of the grunge. Imagine it slightly less grungy/noisy :)

qutdBf.png

oQr43J.png
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    I think the color variations on it might be a bit much for a single small asset. Specifically the bright red and yellow wires make the design of the colors a little cluttered. I'd go for something more muted for the wires and let the purple/blue be the dominant color.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Got similar feedback from a friend as well. May drop the color entirely, and go with something more natural. But Maybe this is a bit closer?

w03Yzd.png
  • HDaniel999
    That textures looks pretty nice, the colors and details make a good convination, i loved the style, i'd like to see all the scene with those textures, it will look incredible. :)
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    I really wish I had more critique, but its hard to do so without feeling like I'm overly nitpicking :P Not really sure you need the color lining it at all, perhaps a more neutral look as you mention may be best.

Great work so far :) Flats?
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Perhaps I should just stick with a natural color. The more i think about it in level, The more i get the feeling it would look weird. Maybe I'll test some colors down the road and see how it looks. For now I'll stick with something like this.

VoE8qs.png

Flats:

http://i.cubeupload.com/cTnikM.png

http://i.cubeupload.com/BQho44.png
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Another wall/floor ^^

uOjtE7.png

rCz0iM.png
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    Great work on the textures! The scanner is very cool :D
  • modebloggen
    Offline / Send Message
    modebloggen polycounter lvl 9
    Looking real awesome! Im going for a semi-similar style in a project of my own, and you really inspire me to try and keep pushing the textures
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    CougarJo: Thanks! More to come soon. Next update should have some actual level shots.

Modebloggen: Thanks man. Block out on your level is looking cool! And glad to hear you like the textures ^^
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, you've got the Borderlands look down pretty good.