Home Technical Talk

Upgrading Video card dilema

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
maxivz interpolator
Hi guys, i have been doing some research latelly as when i am running udk or cry engine 3 sdk i cant run it with all graphics set to the maximmum, so i decided to upgrade my video card as it was my bottleneck, now the question is, is it worth to upgrate right now or should i wait until next year?
I am curentlly running a 6670 sapphire and i am thinking on getting a shappire 7850, its pretty good for the price it has, but i am thinking if maybe you got a better recomendation or something
I have seen nvidia´s 650ti as well, which has a very similar price and specifications and i am not sure wich one i should get
Thanks guys!

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    What is your budget on the card? That's really the only question. And whether you prefer stability over a better dollar to power ratio. (AMD VS Nvidia, Typically).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's more than "stability over a better dollar to power ratio" when talking about AMD vs Nvidia. AMD typically has more buggy drivers and sometimes as weird issues with viewports in 3d applications. There's also a lot of GPU accelerated processing that only works with CUDA, such as Blender's Cycles rendering, Xnormal's GPU AO, 3dcoat's CUDA accelerated 3d voxel sculpting.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    ati does offer a somewhat better price/performance for games(except if maybe a new midrange nvidia card came out or prices dropped in the last few weeks).

But for actual 3D work, just get nvidia, if I could choose again I would have picked nvidia over ati.
    Nothing worse then wanting to try something out, and flat out not working on ati or having weird issues.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    for 3d work from experience i find nvidia just works better for me. i got a gtx 660 in one comp and a 670 in the other and they both work great.

i mostly use maya, udk, photoshop, zbrush and xnormal and it works great for all of thise expecialy haveing access to cuda for xnormal ao bakes
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    Always nvidia

Always

Always

Why?

Drivers work
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Zac: Yeah, All the reasons you mention is what i mean by stability. Nvidia works, Always, Everyday, Every time.

Didn't want to start the classic war, But sense we are into it, Nvidia ftw. Nvidia has never done me wrong. AMD....I saved some money, and lost some breakable items in my home over headaches.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    Nvidia works, Always, Everyday, Every time.
    Am I the only one who remembers the driver update nvidia released that screwed up fan settings, causing many cards to overheat and get damaged?

IMO brand loyalty is silly, choose what's best price/performance at the current time. However, if there is some significant evidence to pick one brand over another (in this case drivers) then it might be worth considering. What you consider significant evidence is of course up to you.
  • maxivz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maxivz interpolator
    Sorry for not replying, it has been a pretty heavy day, i think i will go for the nvidia provided i want it for 3d stuff and with my ati i have run into some trouble during these two years.
    Thanks for the replys guys
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Bek, Fair Point. Correction:

My Nvidia works, Always, everyday, every time.

Vs my multiple AMDs that haven't. And the AMDs where back in the day when i didn't even put the card under a really heavy load.