Home General Discussion

The proper working chair

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Marcus_Aseth polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,first thing first, forgive me if this topic was already opened,possibly multiples times,but my quick search of the forum didn't gave any resoult :poly122:

So,I am 7 months now suffering from back pain,in the lumbar area,wich is wrong cause I am 25 years old,so too soon in my opinion...
Common sense made me realize that the problem could be that I stay hours on top of hours sat on front of my pc, using a wooden kitchen chair... 90° angle,stiff & not meant for this usage...

So,I was looking into purchase a proper working chair wich allows me to stay into this line of work without suffering,problem is that I don't have 1000€ for an Aeron Herman Miller chair,I need a more affordable option ,probably not more expensive that 250€ ,but I don't know wich one is good & wich one is not,so I am turning this question to you guys in the hope that someone have some knowledge about this topic & can suggest me wich one I should purchase :)

Also I would like to expand the topic asking you guys if have had this kind of problems doing this work,if yes have you solved them? How many hours do you guys spend standing still in front of a monitor & how many hours doing for example gym or stuff like that? it helps?? :poly141:

Replies

• Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    I think as long as you drop maybe 1-200 on a decent chair you should be ok. I typically also suggest lifting weights and doing a lot of strength work but I've spent the last year + in horrible chairs and they are brutal on some days.

Sorry I can't be more specific!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chair itself isn't as important as the posture you use while working. Ergonomics is about the whole layout of your desk... height from floor to seat, from desk to arms, from screen to eyes, etc. Get that right, and your back will thank you.

A standing desk has its own problems, or so I've heard. I've read that standing for hours on end can really compress the vertebrae. But like anything else, periodic breaks for walking or other activities are a good idea.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computer_Workstation_Variables.jpg

https://osha.europa.eu/en/publications/e-facts/efact13/view
    A neutral body posture has the following characteristics:
    • The head is level, or bent slightly forward, looking straight at the screen
    and generally in line with the torso
    • The shoulders are relaxed and the upper arms hang normally at the side
    of the body
    • The back is fully supported, with appropriate lumbar support when sitting
    vertically or leaning back slightly
    • The elbows stay close to the body, bent between 90 and 120 degrees
    • The hands, wrists, and forearms are straight, in line and roughly parallel
    to the floor
    • The thighs and hips are supported by a well-padded seat, and generally
    parallel to the floor
    • The knees are about the same height as the hips, with the feet slightly
    forward
    • The feet are fully supported by the floor or by a footrest.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rurouni:I went to gym for a month,they basically failed to understand that something was wrong with my back & that the doctor suggested to not lift weight until further investigations,I reminded them that point several time but they just insisted with "you have to lift more weights to build up strenght ecc..ecc...." I followed what they said & after the training,I had more pain on my lower back than before it,so I'm done with gym & retarded trainers that work in that specific gym (my town also has only this 1 gym,so...)

@Eric:Good point,that remind me that I also need a footrest thing :)
    Though,my head has some serious issues on the attempt to wrap around this whole concept of making breaks for walking... xD
    I think walking is not my thing :poly122:
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Pedro: I am totally not convinced on what this experts says...ok,maybe 135° is better for you back,but look at how the guy in that image is holding up his neck,just to look at the monitor...that would probably destroy vertebrae in the neck area,imo,also seems very uncomfortable to work in that position,you need a whole new desk setup to be able to work like that I think,that are probably studies aimed to people sitting on the couch with a beer watching the game xD

also,quoted from that study "at 135 degrees can make sitting more difficult as there is a tendency to slide off the seat" so you need like a support on your pack to prevent you from sliding under the desk,wich in time could hurt your balls,didn't work man xD
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, blankslatejoe will love that article.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11

I agree with this. The last job i had that had a super reclining leather chair felt like the absolute perfect position to work in. Sitting upright never feels as comfortable or sustainable.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Concur. The backslope is the most comfortable posture for me, and this latest 'researchers show' thing supports it. They may discover something entirely different in a year tho, who knows.

Anyways - http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/embody-chairs.html

Good stuff
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    What about something like this for now if your on a really tight budget.

http://www.officemax.com/office-furniture/chair-furniture-accessories/cushions-back-supports/product-prod4460007

Not sure how much good it will do on a kitchen chair. Could you stand and work?

As far as leaning back, do you really want to look like this? ;)

tumblr_m5j41mJjph1rynh0bo1_400.gif
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @oXYnary:thx,but since I can go up to 100-200€,I'll go directly for a working chair :)
    Though,do you guys know if for that price there is something that can be reclined,even only a bit? :poly141:
    oXYnary wrote: »
    As far as leaning back, do you really want to look like this? ;)
    I couldn't even do that,since I have glasses & if I put my eyes like that,I see only on the top half of my field of view :poly136:

@shotgun:totally out of my budget man :(
    Also why I only see people recommending Herman Miller chairs? Is like one ask for a GPU & everyone only suggest a GeForce GTX Titan lol
    I am not complaining or anything,I am just wondering "there is not a mid-way well known brand other than that one in the working chair sector? :poly122:
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    I had (and still do) some serious back pain problems in lower grade chairs. I´m talking about 100-300€ chairs that you get from any typical furniture store, those things just kill my back, no matter how I sit in them.

I decided to invest 600€ into a [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Ergonomic-Chair-Headrest-Black-Fabric/dp/B004WPUFN6"]Wau Mesh chair[/ame], and it has saved me. It´s virtually impossible to slouch in it; "forces" you to sit in a good posture, whether it is in a 90 or 135 degree angle, that´s up for you to decide. Mesh chairs also keep you from sweating, nice and airy.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1888500&postcount=61

Edit:
    Great, I've been Googling chairs for the past 10 minutes and now Polycount ads are displaying chair ads for me. :D
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems a great chair,yet out of my budget :(

I was looking this one [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alera-Elusion-Series-High-Back-Multifunction/dp/B0049UCECE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_8"]Amazon.com: Alera Elusion Series Mesh High-Back Multifunction Chair, Black: Home & Kitchen[/ame] reviews seems great for its price,someone have had the chance to try it?It is good as they say?

Edit: Oh,wow,cannot be shipped outside U.S. ... I am in Italy,so...this sucks :(
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just got an office chair for free, and it works fine for what I need. See if there's something like Freecycle where you live. http://www.freecycle.org/ Great way to get rid of useless junk, and get useful things from others, all free. PS I am not a bot!
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't really wait,I need immediately something to lower the pain,then I can just replace it later...
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I was having back/shoulder pain in the old chair I was given when I first started. I switched over to an excercise ball chair, and it's pretty great. At the end of the day it feels like you've done a workout, and it forces you upright. You can increase/decrease the air to be a the perfect level both for viewing and to keep your arms perpendicular to your keyboard, not super expensive either.

You're also constantly doing little adjustements to stay centered throughout the day, so it's a slight ab workout too. You do get tired quickly at first, but once you work up to a full day you feel pretty good. Just my experience obviously, but for my part, I'd recommend one.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Balance-Ball-Chair-Black/dp/B0007VB4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376929900&sr=8-1&keywords=exercise+ball+chair"]Amazon.com: Gaiam Balance Ball Chair (Black): Sports & Outdoors[/ame]
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting,never saw this kind of chair :O

For how long have been using it J0NNY?Also how many hour can you stay on front of the pc without getting tired with it?
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    I've been using it for at least 3-4 months. At first I could only manage 3-4 hours a day, so I kept my old chair on standby for when I got too tired. Now though I can go 8 hrs a day, all week. Extended periods of sitting though can still tire you out, so make sure you get up and walk around and stretch a bit periodically, which you should do anyways.
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    @Marcus Aseth: Have you considered a standing desk? I built my own standing desk so that I can switch between sitting to standing anytime I want(I mostly stand now). The first day or two takes some getting used to but afterwards its great.

Also concerning about strengthening your lower back, there is no other way around it than to workout. Judging by what you wrote it sounded like for a month you were just following what other trainers were telling you. Its going to be trail and error, but you have to find what workouts work for you, everyone's body responds differently. If you decided to workout with weights go light not heavy, form is more important.

In my opinion, you should try working out again with the mindset of finding what works for you.

In my experience, sitting too much was bothering my legs. One day I had enough, built a standing desk, started working out, and now I feel great.

Just my two cents.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am missing the manual skills to build myself a standing desk
    never saw one but I suppose it imply some wood cutting skills,welding metal pieces together,caferully planning & measurments also materials...or I just have to purchase a tall desk & put my pc on it & call it done? :poly122:

problem is I have only 1 pc,so if I decide that my legs are tired of standing & I want to keep going relaxed on the chair...I couldn't

I'm trying yoga since today,credit to polycount user disanski for having introduced me to it :):thumbup:

I've only done 15 minutes but indeed feels better already,so probably that's the way,I need only to stick to it long enough to learn how to properly do it avoiding to killing myself in the meantime with the advanced excercises xD
  • spiderDude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Thats great to hear, if that is working for you than stick with it. As far as the standing desk goes, if you have the money you can buy a ready adjustable standing desk, or for a cheaper solution, from ikea, buy a table top, and 4 adjustable legs. Personally, I had some big pvc tubes and some wood lying around, I just used that to make my own makeshift desk, lol.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Seems a great chair,yet out of my budget :(

I was looking this one Amazon.com: Alera Elusion Series Mesh High-Back Multifunction Chair, Black: Home & Kitchen reviews seems great for its price,someone have had the chance to try it?It is good as they say?

Edit: Oh,wow,cannot be shipped outside U.S. ... I am in Italy,so...this sucks :(

this one looks nice and is a good price, yeah does anyone have experience with it?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a good standing desk? I need to overhaul my entire workstation setup, right now it's super bad for me :(
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stick a pillow between your knees when you sleep.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

As someone with 2 herniated disks and nerve damage as a result, I agree with the 135 degree sitting posture.
    I find it to be the most comfortable.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    I used to have some bad back pain from working in my older chair; I've had this one now for 2 years now and have loved it ever since...so dam comfortable, price sure has gone down to http://www.staples.com/Staples-Valerian-Plush-Fabric-Managers-Mid-Back-Chair-Black/product_796525
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    bounchfx wrote: »
    this one looks nice and is a good price, yeah does anyone have experience with it?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a good standing desk? I need to overhaul my entire workstation setup, right now it's super bad for me :(

Bounchfx: I have this one at my office.
    It works rather well. Its a teensy bit too short for me at its upper height but far better than nothing. Its also the tallest extension I've found on the market, and does convert for sitting when you want to do so.
    http://www.ergotron.com/ProductsDetails/tabid/65/PRDID/378/language/en-US/Default.aspx
  • Count Vertsalot
    http://www.swopper.de/en/

All of these chairs by Aeris seem great.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    lots of great suggestions, I just need to find a way to try these first, not sure how comfortable I am blind ordering online... definitely need a new chair though, no question!
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Man, I've been using a wooden stool these past two years. I would not recommend it. Sadly, it's all I have room for in my ridiculously small two-person room. It'll be so nice to be able to light this stool on fire and start using a proper chair.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradan wrote: »
    stick a pillow between your knees when you sleep.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtqXCb7pR58"]Kush Boobs Pillow - YouTube[/ame]

Sorry,is just the first thing it came to my mind when I read your suggestion Paradan,can't help it :poly136: :)

@dustinbrown: that video with the basics of good posture is really interesting,but...some of you guys do actually stop every 30 minutes to stand up & do some movement? That would be the ideal indeed,but one part of me can't do without thinking that is a bit repetitive & bothering,like to have to interupt what you are doing/working on & keep track of time to know when you have to get up... :poly122: ...would be awesome to have a wild fire that spread on my kitchen every 30 minute,forcing me to get up or letting my house burn to ash...otherwise I can hardly see myself getting up so much,wich in 13 hours sit on the pc is like 26 time you have to remember "oh,got to move" in a single day... :poly122: only the thought of it is bothering, for my stupid brain :poly122:

Guys do you know a place inside Europe where to purchase this [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Alera-Elusion-Series-High-Back-Multifunction/dp/B0049UCECE/"]Amazon.com: Alera Elusion Series Mesh High-Back Multifunction Chair, Black: Home & Kitchen[/ame] ?? I baddly want it,but can't afford 300$ of shipment from US...
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol, no worries, at least you didnt link one of those freaky anime pillows with the gel tits and but.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Standing works great!

Hot lady not included:

standing-at-desk_360.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I want to try a treadmill desk.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard that standing you actually compress more the vertebrae,compared to a proper sitting position,so I'm not sure that's the way... :poly141:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I guess we should just work in bed all day and become blobs, no wait, that wouldn't be healthy.

Maybe we should work in swimming pools all day... But then our skin would could really pruney, and we might be electrocuted.

Standing desks are probably slightly better than sitting all day, but you should really be moving if you are going to be standing. And it would be better to balance standing and moving with some periods of sitting/laying down.
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4
    Finding the "proper chair" for you is something only YOU can do. In the end you have to sit in it and since everyone's body is different you may have a different level of comfort.

I use a 200$ chair from office depot (not sure of the value of the Euro in USD). I have to use a pillow for increased lower back support because the foam inside the chair has worn down... alot. I spend about 10 hours a day on the computer.

Personally I find that the more cushioned chairs work better for me as I to have back pain, coupled with neck pain and the occasional migraine, the bad type of migraine with visual auras and all... and im only 21. The most comfortable chairs for me run between 200-400 USD but I haven't done any heavy research into desk chairs aside from sitting in the display models at the store from time to time.

I manage my pains with regular exercise. I dont go to any gyms. I do pushups, varied situps, and take a brisk one mile walk every night. I really look forward to my walk as its more then just a workout to me, its also my decompression time and relaxing time (just came back from a great walk under a full moon). I visit a chiropractor once a week and that helps a ton. I really recommend it because it has helped me so much but some tend to have mixed feelings about chiropractors because they are not "traditional doctors" (which I think is BS). Using the methods above coupled with a healthy diet I rarely have any pain and havent been sick in over 3 years (knock on wood).
    When I say healthy diet I mean the general fruits and vegetables, leafy greens and low sugar.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    I want to try a treadmill desk.

This. Want to see though if a Cintiq would work.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I heard that standing you actually compress more the vertebrae,compared to a proper sitting position,so I'm not sure that's the way... :poly141:

That doesn't make any sense.... I am curious though, got a source?

I've been trying out a makeshift standing desk for about a week now. One thing I've noticed is when walking, I am much more likely to stand up straight. It seems to be doing wonders for my posture.

I am still not used to standing though, my feet really start to hurt after a couple of hours, even with a yoga mat to stand on. I ended up getting a 30" barstool so I can sit as needed.

May try out a manual treadmill, as they're typically much smaller and much less expensive than a traditional treadmill ($100 and up), since a manual treadmill doesn't have an electric motor.
  • Marcus_Aseth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going today to check the stores around where I live to see if there is some chair worth purchasing,but pretty much wathever I purchase would be a huge improvment compared to this 90° piece of wood (sh*t) :)

Trevor if I go for a night walk with this thing is like cheating? :)
    hubo_fx1.jpg

Just kidding,my house is in the outskirts of my town,lots of woods around my house,no way I'm going out at night,feels like walking into Silent Hill xD

RexM,can't recall in what video I've heard it :poly141:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    RexM wrote: »
    May try out a manual treadmill, as they're typically much smaller and much less expensive than a traditional treadmill ($100 and up), since a manual treadmill doesn't have an electric motor.

Can't you find one on craigslist or something for under $100?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    With the 135º, you will earn a great belly, and you will enter into the group of obese people.

And the worst, you will end with neck problems yes or yes.

there are too many good chairs for work, generally for 400€-600€
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sitting at an angle will somehow make you magically fat?
  • Trevor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trevor polycounter lvl 4

Trevor if I go for a night walk with this thing is like cheating? :)
    hubo_fx1.jpg

Just kidding,my house is in the outskirts of my town,lots of woods around my house,no way I'm going out at night,feels like walking into Silent Hill xD

well I said "go for a walk" so I guess the medium used doesn't matter:).
    I want that chair!
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Sitting at an angle will somehow make you magically fat?

apparently more so than sitting at 90 degrees would.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Too much time sitted on a chair will make you fat :)

We need exercise :)

BTW, too many studios have gyms.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there science behind the reclined vs upright thing making you fat? Just curious...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    A great belly cannot be given, only earned. Do you agree? yes or yes
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great belly or greatest belly?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    there's science, eat food and don't do anything, you'll see how your body shape changes lol. All those calories will be packed in your belly or like we say here, in your fat ass XD.

The position on the chair it's pointless with this matter. If you don't do exercise you will be a fat ass yes or yes.
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You get fat by eating too much, doesn't matter how much you exercise.

Exercise just makes you expend more calories which means you can consume more food, but it's common and perfectly normal to be skinny without exercising at all.