Home Technical Talk

Smoothing Groups Question

giakaama
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
giakaama polycounter lvl 9
Hi, I was wondering, is there a way to do smoothing groups without apps that costs from 1000$ and up ?

I know of Blender, but is there any other ?

Thanks

Replies

• .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    Some Applications dont call them smoothing groups. You can do the same with "hard edges".
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I think every modeling program can make smoothing groups. "hard edges" are the lack of smoothing groups or when two or more different smoothing groups are next to each other.There is a hard edge.So when you dont have any smoothing group on your model, its hard edged.And when your model have more than one smoothing group, then its hard edged and smoothed at the same time.There are hard edges along the borders of the smoothing groups. 3dsmax is available for free for students btw.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's a short term thing, grab a trail version and use whatever app you're comfortable with.

If its a long term solution and you're looking for a cheap program there are a bunch. Blender is probably one of the best free apps out there, but if you're looking for "smoothing groups" I think milkshape3D (if its even still around) is pretty cheap and deals with smoothing exactly like max does with "smoothing groups".
  • giakaama
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    giakaama polycounter lvl 9
    Obscura wrote: »
    I think every modeling program can make smoothing groups. "hard edges" are the lack of smoothing groups or when two or more different smoothing groups are next to each other.There is a hard edge.So when you dont have any smoothing group on your model, its hard edged.And when your model have more than one smoothing group, then its hard edged and smoothed at the same time.There are hard edges along the borders of the smoothing groups. 3dsmax is available for free for students btw.

I understand the smooth/hard edge feature :), I was using " smoothing group " because the majority of people refer to them as that ! :)
    The thing is that for my knowledge I only know of Wings3D, Blender, having something like smooth/hard edge feature, other apps I don't really know of ! Of course apps under 300$ range !
    Milkshape 3D I know of, but never use it and the last update was in 2011 ! :)

Thanks for the answers