Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

small, ruined temple

This is supposed to be a small, Japanese temple made of wood that is in ruins. It's for game environment, with hand painted texture. I've never done tile-able hand painted texture, so would like to learn more about how to do that. Also never done modelling much, or try to get something work inside a game environment. So any advice and pointer is appreciated.

Base mesh. Red is unique parts that can be copied after UV and texture.

fb0d886d04dcf306bb3867ebe88557b0.jpg

Replies

• Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good for not having done much modelling before :) Just watch your edge loops, you've got a lot that you don't need, like the ones on the pillars and the main beam on the roof!
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good for not having done much modelling before :) Just watch your edge loops, you've got a lot that you don't need, like the ones on the pillars and the main beam on the roof!

I thought I need to put them in so the checkerboxes don't stretch too much compared to the other parts with smaller face. It's okay I delete them after UV-ing?
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'd delete them prior to UVing. If you're in maya, it's less faces that need to be selected
  • jStins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Or use them to make the silhouette more interesting. Try to communicate decay/wear and tear in the geometry as well as texture if this piece is supposed to be run down.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah it needs to look in ruins, with tilting and chipping, or even broken in half parts. Do I do that after painting texture and adding detail with normal map, or before? I was reading Jessica's thread on her well-turn-into-villa-with-cows, and she was saying she textured the trees straight up before bending them into different shapes.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The temple is in ruins now :) Also made a torii. I thought they could use same red wood tile-able texture, but temple is build with panels, and torii is build with singular, solid pillars of wood, so the texture can't be the same... Also not sure exactly how tile-able texture works for a game asset, especially if I want to put rust stuff on top of parts of the wood. How is that done?

2e993ef1c3485813067a52e0bd1615b9.jpg
    22c8f0add242ed71eedb75d3ddb2f803.jpg
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The tile for the temple:
    69c32d6397b9224626d4c27ad3dca107.jpg
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Roof tile. Still figuring out how to put them on the little hutemple

47f87aa42e7be7f2389bae56f361ece8.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The model is looking fun so far. Nice silhouette on things. I would rough out your texture ideas and throw them on the meshes before you get super far in painting.
  • Desperad0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jeff! I'm mostly following a reference photo for color and texture, so it's a simple, ruinous temple that has no paint left, just bare wood and roof. It looks like this when stuck into the UDK environment my team's working on. I tried to put it together, but the tiling doesn't look the same as when I arranged it in Softimage:

...please ignore the red ball. It's something else... I just wanted to see what its color actually looks like in UDK vs what it looks like in Mari when I painted it.

771be7adf62948843ccc1f48610b98ab.jpg