Home General Discussion

Industrial Design / How much creative freedom do 3D prop/environment artist have?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
HatPoweredSpyCrab polycounter lvl 10
Hi there polycounters!!!:)
I was wondering how involed in the creative process is the environment/prop artist, is him confined just to follow the concept guidelines or does he plays a major role in designing the props and environments? or That depends on the studio? I am asking this because in a year I am planning to go to study at FZD School in Singapore, to develop my fundamentals and design understanding. I am planning to get the whole artistic package.
Let's say I will cover the CG part at my uni, modeling/texturing and the design part at FZD. It will sure cost me a lot that's why I wanted to consult with you guys if that's a solid decission. Any recommendations? Observations?
Thx in advance

Replies

• Kevin Albers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the studio, the project, the Art Director, and other factors. It can range from 'here - create this exactly as described' to 'make this game level based on rough ideas...feel free to do what you want with it to make it cool for the game'.

I can't think of any problems that would stem from getting really good at visual design. You might not be able to utilize the skills to their maximum on every project, but it's a great skill set for an artist to have.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Damn, you got money! In the end though, it seems that the higher end the ip the more restricted you are in guide lines because they have a successful product catering to consumers who expect same design aspects.. That is a lot of money, are you currently attending uni? and then moving to singapore to attend FZD?
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah guys I see, I made this decission because my fundamentals are realy fucked up, I am currently in Uni but its strenght is the CG part. Yeah I am crazy enought to do both things, but FZD called my attention among many others and what it can help me acomplish is beyond any cost :O. I guess I will have to get a solid job right after though hahahaha.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah guys I see, I made this decission because my fundamentals are realy fucked up, I am currently in Uni but its strenght is the CG part. Yeah I am crazy enought to do both things, but FZD called my attention among many others and what it can help me acomplish is beyond any cost :O. I guess I will have to get a solid job right after though hahahaha.

Lol, I'm in the exact same boat having shit 2d. For the credibility of the school versus it's cost it's in my opinion worth it when compared to other options. They also will help you get connections after grad (Not sure if it's targeted for concept and design artists though).

What is it 32,000 usd tuition for year program then about 17,000 for 8 months continued? living expenses in Singapore seem to be just a tad higher than Texas at about $1000-$1500

I assume you're doing this to buffer your 3d aspects.

I was just worried how much you spent on uni prior. I personally agree with your decision.. Debating going there myself depending how the next year or so play out.
  • HatPoweredSpyCrab
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah man, I am planning to develop my "visual library" in this remaining year and a half, also going to practice my 2d as much as I can to present a good portfolio.
    Practically I will develop my 3D with the uni program at a decent level, then comes the FZD part :). Yeah it seems living is expensive, I will have to make sacrifices. I hope we can meet there :)