Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix- Pikmin D&D

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
specsowl polycounter lvl 6
Alright! So I am working on a piece for the VGRemix with a mashup between Pikmin and tabletop games like Dungeons & Dragons and Heroscape. The idea is to have the diorama look like a built game board with Pikmin pieces on it.

Right now I just finished Captain Olimar and Louie. Lookin good! The helmet idea wasn't working, so whatever. I'll just have the little lights float above their heads. It works.
Here's my latest progress:
[SKETCHFAB]dab2fc64f60946f5a54177ca6580fb73[/SKETCHFAB]

Here's the lighting I have now for my scene. Looking pretty good, so I'm going to press on with this and bake it into the individual textures.
CV5RCoN.jpg

Hope you enjoy this thread and project! I know I am, and it helps me from running in circles until Pikmin 3 comes out.

Replies

• GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    This sounds like a really neat idea!

Do you plan to do it in all little tiles that can snap together like the little custom maps?
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    This sounds like a really neat idea!

Do you plan to do it in all little tiles that can snap together like the little custom maps?
    I do actually. Something like this where the tiles snap hexagonally. http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a39/Jedijoe9/CIMG2159.jpg

Also, I may have a few pikmin figures that fly through the air, but are being held up by clear plastic sticks
    http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/a/a6/Victini_figure.png
  • Grindy
    Offline / Send Message
    Grindy polycounter lvl 10
    Sounds like a very fun project specsowl! Good luck with it. :)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, so I dug around a bit in my closet and found one of my all-time favorite tabletops and got to work. But first, a mood board!
    rQcpHHh.jpg
    Going to try and go for multiple elements from both D&D and Heroscape, but mostly Heroscape.

Secondly, I grabbed some pieces and started constructing a relatively simple scene in which the characters will be placed.
    QSsmZSQ.jpg
    Then I did possibly the fastest paintover ever in Photoshop. I mean this thing was quick, just to get an idea of if it could ever work. It can.
    Qi4CQjF.jpg
    Lastly, I took out some of the pieces and examined their stands, as that is important for a tabletop gaming piece! I will experiment with different size bottoms that could fit onto the hexagonal grid.
    SSYA9kb.jpg
    I am very excited to work on this and will be starting tonight on some models! Namely, the spotty bulborb who will be the main hero piece for the diorama.
  • linz1010
    Great, I didn't know I needed this in my life till now...
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    where did you get those landscape pieces? Also, cool choice. Good Luck!
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    where did you get those landscape pieces? Also, cool choice. Good Luck!

Thanks! And back around 6 or 7 years ago Heroscape was supposed to be the next big thing. It didn't really catch on, but I grabbed some sets when it first game out.
  • Spacey
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool idea. That Heroscape play set looks fun and a perfect match for the Pikmin stuff. Looking forward to this one. Do it justice!
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys, here's what I whipped up so far. Textures need some work and by god those eyes need more UV space. Otherwise, I think a pretty good start to a VERY fun project!
    [SKETCHFAB]ma7HrOarHGxKS3okfIPxY4KPxA0[/SKETCHFAB]

EDIT: I updated the Bulborb's UV map and textures
  • CharlesL
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlesL polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, really nice! It looks pretty much perfect right now (other than the eyes of course). I can't wait to see how this turns out. :D
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlesL wrote: »
    Wow, really nice! It looks pretty much perfect right now (other than the eyes of course). I can't wait to see how this turns out. :D

Thanks! I really appreciate the support. I updated his eyes today so hopefully they look better than big blue squares. :) I'll be uploading the Pikmin later today after I've finished posing them all (there's a lot of different poses to do)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]e19ccc26fa0d4106860c15fbed9a8da9[/SKETCHFAB]
    Here's just a few Pikmin so far! Really liked how they turned out. I may do a few tweaks on them, but mostly pleased with the outcome.

2 things on the update:
    1. I'm not super happy with the flower, and I may just sacrifice the extra polys to make it look right.
    **EDIT** I fixed the flower and am much happier with it.

2. Not making bulb Pikmin because they are lame. I suppose, if there's a demand then I will, but even in game there isn't much advantage to having them so why make game pieces?
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    YES! This is great. Always a bunch of fun coming here to see your progress. Keep it up:)
  • JamesArk
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Super awesome already :)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    vmTwwmy.jpg
    PROGRESS!
    I worked for a bit on the terrain. Coming along nicely, but incredibly boring. I might add some more detail to it, but I actually think once I add some cool things like pellet flowers, the bridge, the wall, and other flora that the scene will begin to come alive. I'm not counting the diorama stage as a prop, as it is the stage and just the basic building block for the project. However, the other items that go into the scene will hopefully boost that low-poly look I want!
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright guys! It's time for an update! I worked late into the night and got some more scene stuff for you.
    [SKETCHFAB]d1bf4cec3bf9420295f1fd60b652cfe4[/SKETCHFAB]
    I have a few issues. 1, that bridge totally sucks. I am thinking about just going a little over the poly limit and increasing from 64 to 128 because right now it is a total eye sore. The gate I am iffy about, but hey, it doesn't look terrible. Let me know your opinions because I am totally hating on the bridge.

Secondly! (or thirdly, whatever), I will be adding a new enemy! Who will it be? Bzzz. Anyways, thanks for checking it out!

EDIT: This post is basically invalid because Sketchfab has been updated. I changed the bridge and added the new enemy :)
  • allmighty_thunder
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    man this is coming along nice, love it
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the progress. :)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the support. :) I fixed up the bridge
    now and posed some more Pikmin. I'll update the sketchfab and also add in the new enemy soon. :)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I sure have been busy today! First off, if you look at the first post, you'll see that I updated my whole scene with new stuff. But what did I add?
    Firstly, I changed that bridge. I like it much better now and feel like it gives off the right vibe.

Secondly...PIKMIN POSES! Yay they are so cute :)
    [SKETCHFAB]3cc20519c8c74488b3174cf17b3bc607[/SKETCHFAB]

Lastly, what was the surprise enemy? Of course, the infamous shearwigs! Destroyer of bridges and killer of Pikmin.
    [SKETCHFAB]432aae7fab114e8a82738f89d6fe703d[/SKETCHFAB]

So anyways, I'm pretty proud of my progress so far. I'll be taking a break until tomorrow, but I think things are coming together nicely. Hope you enjoy!

Edit: Oh yeah, also the UV map is not to my liking on the shearwigs' backs. I'll be changing that too.
  • CharlesL
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! This is looking great! I really like the way you laid out the scene so that it really looks good from any angle. The only critique I have at the moment is that I think the dirt is really detracting from the scene(no varation, flatest color in the scene). It's especially noticeable on the elevated platform in the corner. Other than that, it's awesome :D
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlesL wrote: »
    ...I think the dirt is really detracting from the scene(no varation, flatest color in the scene). It's especially noticeable on the elevated platform in the corner.

Good point. I think it's mostly because of the flat lighting, but nonetheless, it needs to be changed. I'll add some variation to it and see if I can't break up the monotony. Thanks for the critique!
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    looking really good, alot going on in the scene, can't wait to see how you're going to up this.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    This is simply amazing, you have almost finished it!

If I were you, I would work on the shadows/lighting (not real but painted) because now everything looks so flat and nothing is "important" because all the stuff is at the same level. I mean, I think you need to set a highlight or a spotlight on something, otherwise everything will look so monotonous, imo.

Anyway, it's pretty good, you can be proud :)
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for the support!
    If I were you, I would work on the shadows/lighting (not real but painted) because now everything looks so flat and nothing is "important" because all the stuff is at the same level. I mean, I think you need to set a highlight or a spotlight on something, otherwise everything will look so monotonous, imo.

I was doing some research into the contest and apparently there are no lightmaps allowed, which got me to thinking. The way I built the scene was by piecing together individual hexagons and then deleting the extra faces underneath. However, I may be able to duplicate the scene (not including the actual characters), re-UV map it, bake on the diffuse, and then paint in the lighting. Then, add some lighting to the characters and I may have a pretty decently lit scene :) I will definitely try it, if nothing else. Thanks for the suggestion and I'll get to working on it ASAP before I get to making any more characters (got one more, you know).
  • IHeartPad
    I really love your idea, and it's interesting to see how you already put on your diorama.
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Well guys, I don't post all day and ended up on the 5th page! There's a lot of cool projects going on and I've been away not enjoying them :( Anyways, my latest progress is as follows.
    Combined entire scene, UV-mapped it, baked original scene texture onto new UV'd scene. Then baked some lighting. Then took the new UV and baked lighting into 3D coat and painted my own touches onto it. THEN I took ALLLLL of that into Photoshop, did some more touches, and finally have what I'm showing now. I'm really loving the progress and am happy about the suggestions :)

Next, I feel like Pikmin aren't Pikmin when the scale is misunderstood. Sure, I had the flowers, but I figured I'd add a big 'ole stump with some leaves on it. Really like how the scene is coming together and hope that my continued progress doesn't make this...too much.

Anyways, enjoy!
    [SKETCHFAB]8543cfc2f8f64ef5bd897ce4ac93d8cd[/SKETCHFAB]

What's next? I plan to fix the leaves on the stump, add an item, and add none other than Captain Olimar! [yells externally]
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    YES!!! GREAT JOB!
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    YES!!! GREAT JOB!

• CharlesL
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! I'm really liking the stump. This scene is so vibrant and colorful. Great job! :D
  • Schrodinger's Backface
    Offline / Send Message
    Schrodinger's Backface polycounter lvl 6
    Ah man, I wish I would have seen this thread before I started mine haha. I'm doing something very similar with the hexagonal game-board idea, but I think it will be different enough in the end. Every-time I think I'm being clever someone has been there first :(

Lol oh well, this is looking fantastic anyways.. you still have two weeks left, bub, and you are so far along already. Can't wait to see it in three weeks when you've tweaked the hell out of it.
  • HTobitt
    Offline / Send Message
    HTobitt polycounter lvl 3
    i don't quite understand how you've done the lighting (I'd love to see the texture) but it looks great!
  • deadpixl
    Offline / Send Message
    deadpixl polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work, I really like the stump, sets the scale nicely!
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    This has to be one of the best ones so far.
  • LuCh!
    Offline / Send Message
    LuCh! polycounter lvl 5
    the seperate pieces look really good,
    though the sc
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for the kind words and criticism! Sorry I haven't really updated today but I will be sure to tomorrow.
    LuCh! wrote: »
    the seperate pieces look really good,
    though the sc
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so my OCD got the best of me and I started playing around with some lighting tests. I didn't bake any of the details yet, as I am still making characters and working on how to make each Pikmin have it's own shading, but I want to know what you think of the lighting? Here are the two images:
    ZykrWnC.jpg
    EjCVJ6h.jpg

They both have similarly colored lights (yellow with a tiny bit of red). However, #1 is made up of several spot lights and #2 is made up of an ambient and a directional. What do you think? Honestly, I'm leaning towards #1. However, #1 seems a little blown out compared to #2.
  • CharlesL
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm... if this is supposed to be an outdoor scene I think there should be two main directional lights (one is the sun, the second is fake bounce lighting tinted blue with less intensity) and a few spot lights to highlight details.
  • minorthreat
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah it's be nice if there was a hint of sky blue backlighting. I usually find this page really useful:
    https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List
    Each under each skybox is "Brightness", which is the sun color, and "Ambience", which is recommended color for ambient lighting. There's also stuff like the Pitch, Yaw, Roll of the sun and stuff. Although it's for hammer maps, I think it can be applied pretty much anywhere.
  • Tyche Laughs
    linz1010 wrote: »
    Great, I didn't know I needed this in my life till now...
    ^^That.
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOAH!
    A lot has happened in the past week or so and I've been away! Oh goodness! What's that? The contest is over in 2 days? (PANIC)

Anyways, here's Captain Olimar! Still working on the textures and I have an idea for his helmet :) I'll be updating this sketchfab model periodically, so stay posted!

[SKETCHFAB]dab2fc64f60946f5a54177ca6580fb73[/SKETCHFAB]

Also, I want to thank everyone for their incredible support! The feedback I'm getting is most helpful :)

**Also, Pikmin 3 came out recently, and it's been all I have in me to not be playing it right now! I played a little, and honestly, it's inspired me greatly.
  • CharlesL
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good! I'm interested in how your going to do the helmet. The only idea I have is painting on solid highlights on the top, bottom and sides. That could turn out looking funny, though.
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted some lighting yesterday and added Louie and Olimar into the scene. Yay! I'm nearing the point of completion.
    CV5RCoN.jpg
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update, I baked in the lighting except on Olimar and Louie. All thats basically left is a sky and anything else I feel inclined to add in if I have time.

[SKETCHFAB]6fa5edb7ca184de897bad2feb4306c4a[/SKETCHFAB]
  • specsowl
    Offline / Send Message
    Well then, having finished this, I just want to say thank you to all for the great support. Honestly, it's what pushed me through this contest and had me go all the way and finish it. I had a ton of fun, and wouldn't trade the experience for anything!

[SKETCHFAB]650ac5e355464ebc816b13264f4da27e[/SKETCHFAB]
    ZvM0lbK.jpg
    OS0GgWW.jpg

Good luck to everyone, and I can't wait until the next contest!