Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Full Blast SHMUP game

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
tucho polycounter lvl 17
Hi people, I already published some stuff about this project on this forum, you can see the old thread here, but I decided to start a new thread with a selection of the best published images and some new ones.

Full Blast is a top down ship shooter for iOS and Android devices. We are 2 persons involved on this project, me for graphics and a programmer for code, but probably we will add a sound designer to the team soon and maybe also an UI artist. We are working on the project on our free time, so its development is slowly, but surely, we have about a 30% of the game done, we plan to make 12 levels and we have 4 done.

full_blast_logo.jpg

Some concepts for the ships

concept.jpg

Ships models

player1_blue.jpg

scorpion_ship.jpg

es_horseshoe_crab.jpg

es_dragonfly.jpg

es_mosquito.jpg

el_spider.jpg

gif3.gif

es_manta.jpg

ew_trilobite.jpg

es_butterfly.jpg

alien_pod.jpg

giant_crab.jpg

Replies

• tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    The first boss

final_boss_01_2.jpg

fb_worm.jpg

The first tileset

city_tileset_WIP_3.jpg

city_tileset_WIP_4.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVG9gtLOb68"]Tileset City (3ds Max) - YouTube[/ame]

Some illustrations for the loading screens and the portraits for the dialogues

illustrations.jpg

portraits.jpg

The last gameplay video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5Cs_Qc9E2k"]FullBlast_beta - YouTube[/ame]

Some screenshots

screenshots_01.jpg

screenshots_02.jpg
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    Man, this looks like so much fun to work on. I love the city tiles.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Looks awesome! Really nailed the scale with the city, sweet!
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Really neat! Things go along very well when put together. Good job!
  • neilberard
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    That's lookin really nice!
  • Racer445
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    the visuals look really nice!

judging from the video, the ship controls have intertia. inertia is a huge no in the shmup community as it reduces precision, even in games without dense patterns it's important to have as tight of controls as possible. check out cave's iphone/android ports, they handle precise shmup controls on phones really well.
  • Eskema
    Offline / Send Message
    Eskema polycounter lvl 4
    Racer445 wrote: »
    the visuals look really nice!

judging from the video, the ship controls have intertia. inertia is a huge no in the shmup community as it reduces precision, even in games without dense patterns it's important to have as tight of controls as possible. check out cave's iphone/android ports, they handle precise shmup controls on phones really well.

Important thing for all users:
    -The video was recorded on easy mode

Racer445: There's no inertia in the video, even if it seems so. When you touch on a position on screen, the ship will travel to that position and start braking as soon as it gets close to the touched position. That could be your inertia thing.
    Of course besides that "automatic" thing you can drag your finger around the screen to move the ship.

In any case we will include 3 different control schemes, and there's a control scheme with inertia and it's really fun to play with.
  • mariomanzanares
    Offline / Send Message
    mariomanzanares polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, your designs are very consistent and well built. The thing that most impresses me is that the city is so muted and subtle in color, so everything else just pop-up. I can't criticize anything because it looks very good. Good job, man.
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys, I'm glad you like it :D
    The thing that most impresses me is that the city is so muted and subtle in color, so everything else just pop-up

That was just what I was intending when I created these assets, I'm glad that you noticed it :)
  • Benjam
    Offline / Send Message
    Benjam polycounter lvl 4
    mannn I love it. The art style is so cool. I like that the zap, boom, kablamm when you blow up an enemy. It gives it a very cool comic feel. Good work :)
  • ruberboy
    Offline / Send Message
    ruberboy polycounter lvl 10
    Cool, the election of perspective was good.

I see everything good. Good luck with the game. Cheers from an spaniard.

I hope you've got good sales. I can´t imagine the amount of work xD.

Que tengáis buenas ventas, no me imagino la pechá de currar xD
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you Benjam and ruberboy :D

I was really busy at work this summer, so my progress on this project was really slow. Here you can see a couple of models more for this game and I'll post soon pictures of the next levels showing the art of the new tileset :)

brain_tank.jpg

brain_bug_high.jpg

el_brain_bug.jpg

el_tank.jpg
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi again guys, here is another bug for FullBlast :)

sand_worm.jpg
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    The first pictures from the 2nd tileset :)

fullblast_tileset02_1.jpg

fullblast_tileset02_2.jpg

tileset02_ingame.jpg
  • JasonLavoie
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    This is beautiful work tucho... super super impressive! I wish you and your the team the best of luck... but I don`t think you need it :P
  • Shudrum
    Offline / Send Message
    Shudrum polycounter lvl 6
    I just love it. Wonderfull !

No other words in mind.
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 12
    This is incredible! I love the art style and the game play looks great! *Take my monies!!*
  • mcunha98
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
    Are you using Unity3D ???
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks a lot for your comments guys, you really encourage me to do my best with this project :D

@mcunha98: yup, it is Unity3D
  • maximumsproductions
    Offline / Send Message
    maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
    Love the colors and look. Your theme looks like a revamped old school RTS i'd get lost in!
  • mcunha98
    Offline / Send Message
    mcunha98 polycounter lvl 7
    Really....a good job, high quality in graphics !
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys :)

Another enemy and more illustrations for the loading screens

es_eurypterus.jpg

illustrations_02.jpg
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Very cool :)

I've not much to say, I like the artwork.
    The only thing that really bother me is the lack of atmospheric perspective. Adding atmospheric fog/clouds/mist and all would be a HUGE plus I think. Everything would blend together nicely and it could help read the units even more because at the moment AO and shadows on the tilesets looks way too dark to me.

Gameplay wise, I'd like to see different weapons and superpowers. Like some superpower popping randomly on the screen and you have to tap them quickly to activate them before they disappear.

Other thing that would be supergreat on a touchscreen device would be some sort of rockets that you launch from your ship with your finger. Maybe you could even draw the rocket path before it's launch with your finger or something. Well I guess that would conflict with the ship movement order mecanism but you get the idea...
    For me, to play such games, I would expect a very good use of the tactile device for weapons that involves skills, speed and reflexes.

Anyway, looks really good so far :) keep it up, good luck with the release.
  • Jernej
    This looks awesome! One question :) How can you have shadows in your scene? I mean are you not targeting mobile?

We are using unity for our games and when we try to have shadows it takes a lot of draw calls to render stuff. When we use lightmaps we break batching :(
  • CarlK3D
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    One of the best looking Unity Games I've seen! everything looks great
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys! :D

@Cremuss: we didn't add fog because it is pretty expensive on movile devices, moreover we have pretty a lot of alphas on our environments and fog may cause some issues with alpha ordering.

About the gameplay we will keep it simple, just few different game mechanics which work fine, our priority at the moment is to get a well polished product not a super original one.

@Jernej: yep we are targeting mobile, but we have the draw calls under control, our environment tiles have just a couple of draw calls each because we use an atlas for the whole environment and the maximum of visible tiles at the same time are 2, so we always have few draw calls.

Here are some pictures of the 2nd boss (3 in total), it is the big daddy of the brain bug :P

fb_brain_high.jpg

fb_brain.jpg
  • alt3d
    Offline / Send Message
    alt3d polycounter lvl 8
    I love it.
    Great work.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Love this project man! Really do.

I think the last guy you posted got a bit too white. I like the more pink look on the highpoly. :)

Keep up the great work!
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you guys :)

@jeremiah_bigley: maybe you're right, I think that I'll tweak a bit its color when I place it on the level and see how it works ingame.

Just 2 new pictures: the shield for the Brain Boss, and the first asset for the 3th (and last) tileset, a battleship.

fb_brain_shield.jpg

battleship.jpg
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi again guys, here are the first pictures of the 3rd tileset (and the last one), I'm about to finish the art of FullBlast :D, but we still will need some months of polishing before release it.

tileset_sea.jpg

And also a new enemy for this tileset

ew_fish.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    so awesome :)
    could you show a breakdown or a tutorial on how you make your textures? they always look so clean and you really make those shapes pop, so much detail.
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your commets lotet :)

I made this picture some time ago to post on other forums where sombody asked me the same question, I hope that it be useful for you.

sand_worm_process.jpg

In some cases (for example the fish) I also project a normal map on XNormal and apply it to the model in a scene with a simple light setup to bake a complete map, by this way I get more volume and a more convincing illumination.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    huh...So no magic? I was definitely expecting more magic, black magic.

or at least some crazy light set ups and baking and re projection craziness, but I guess its just the good ol´ bent normal map :)
  • DWalker
    I'd probably expand the froth around the objects in the water and in the wake. The wake itself is hardly noticeable. Particles will of course help, but I'm assuming that is coming.

A dark shadow on the surface of the water over the submerged portions of creature might help.

You might want to add blinking red lights (i.e. circular billboards) on top of the radio antennas and the oil rig.

The white parts of the oil rig look untextured. Yellow for the cranes and orange for the lattice work might look better.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    damn, no pc version, I dont have money for a phone anymore. I WANT THIS SO BAD.
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    @lotet: Here you can see the light set up of the brain bug (one of the more complex) and as you can see it is just 2 omnis and one skylight, about the material I just used the texture "1" as diffuse and specular and the "2" as normal map and rendered with the default scanline render, the result is the complete map which I used as final texture with some minor tweaks.

baking.jpg

@DWalker: The froth is more visible ingame since the texture is panning and the effect is pretty nice, we can't add too much particles or shadows because we're developing the game for Android/iOS devices and we want that it runs at 30 FPS on as many devices as possible.

Good points the blinking red lights and change the colors of the oil rig white parts, probably I'll change it, thanks.

@SaboR1996: If we have a decent sales on Android/iOS we plan to port the game to more platforms: PC/Mac, Ouya, WiiU, etc... We are using Unity for this game so it would be pretty easy to port it to other platforms.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    HA! I knew it, MAGIC...ermn I ment lights
    thanks Tucho :)
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    tucho wrote: »

@SaboR1996: If we have a decent sales on Android/iOS we plan to port the game to more platforms: PC/Mac, Ouya, WiiU, etc... We are using Unity for this game so it would be pretty easy to port it to other platforms.

Have you thought about trying to get it greenlit, its a great way to see if people are interested for PC :P
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Yep, we probably present it to greenlight, but once the game be almost finished, to show a good gameplay video, etc...

Here you can see the last illustrations for the loading screens, with this ones we already have one illustration for each of the 12 levels, we will use them with a short text as part of our simple storyline.

illustrations_03.jpg

illustrations_04.jpg
  • q7204k
    Awesome work! =D
    I have a question - every model you make from high poly -> low poly?
  • RyanB
    Nice work. Really good choice to make the background desaturated and darker. Looking forward to seeing more variety in the craters/explosions.
  • Fisty
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    sweet penis monster
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your comments guys :)

@q7204k: for ships/monsters yep, I usually I create a highpoly model to bake textures from it, for environments it depends on each object, in some cases I do it and other ones I just create handpainted textures.

@RyanB: thanks, I still have to tweak a bit the color schemes on some levels.

@Fisty: you're a pervert!!!, it is just a sandworm ;)
  • korokof
    Offline / Send Message
    korokof polycounter lvl 14
    Huge amount of work and great looking game.

I wish you that it turns out a great success!

Angel.
  • korokof
    Offline / Send Message
    korokof polycounter lvl 14
    Thats a huge amount of work, great looking artwork

I wish it becomes a big success

Angel
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thank you mate!!! :)
  • teakae
    Wow, fantastic!

Can you explain a little more about the tilesets...
    eg Is the whole tile including building and other objects exported from the 3d package into unity?

How are the shadows calculated for the ships (enemies and player)? We are having problems with the quality and performance of shadows in Unity on mobile.

And also are the tiles moving down the screen or is the ship flying through the scene?

thanks and great work, cant wait to play the final product :)
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for your kind comments teakae :)
    Can you explain a little more about the tilesets...
    eg Is the whole tile including building and other objects exported from the 3d package into unity?

Yep, each level is composed between 4 to 6 different tiles wich spawn randomly. I export the whole tile (ground, buildings, etc.) but some objects which the player interact with, like turrets, etc. are added ingame to create a prefab with all the elements together.
    How are the shadows calculated for the ships (enemies and player)? We are having problems with the quality and performance of shadows in Unity on mobile.

There is no lights, nor shadows on our game, the shadows of the environment are a lightmap and the shadows projected by the ships are just sprites.
    And also are the tiles moving down the screen or is the ship flying through the scene?

Tiles move down the screen, camera is fixed.

We are in the final stage of development and will post more stuff soon, we hope to be able to release the game the Q4 this year or even earlier :)
  • tucho
    Offline / Send Message
    tucho polycounter lvl 17
    Hi guys, the countdown for FullBlast release has begun, we hope that it be available for both iOS and Android devices on early October :D

We're polishing the last details, here you can see the some pictures of the scene from the game menu

menu.jpg

menu2.jpg

And here a video of the game menu itshelf, it already has the final soundtrack by Machinet Musica.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-g0J5JfLLY[/ame]

We also have created a page of the game on IndieDB where we will publish news about the game; you can see it here. Any help to spread the project is really appreciated and as always crits and comments are welcome :)
  • Kromus
    Well done man, some fantastic work and a really nice thread. You've put some effort into getting everything just right and its been a pleasure watching your asset pipeline.