Home› Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Silent Hill

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
mospheric polycounter lvl 11
I'll have to find some time for this even though I just accepted freelance work. XD

I'm thinking of a circular diorama with the main characters (Harry, James, and Heather) going through typical Silent Hill environments: elementary school, hospital, fairgrounds, and other world. I'll include a few baddies such as Pyramid Head and the nurses. I'm hoping to achieve a nice transition among the environments that tie in the whole piece. Instead of making a sprawling or large diorama, I'm going to try to achieve a good sense of motion and emotion through each of the set pieces that compromise the diorama.

*NEWEST SKETCHFAB*

[SKETCHFAB]a551fa8d3c6e4d988d11a0f029bae710[/SKETCHFAB]

[SKETCHFAB]8000eab83255452d8b7f9e2d807bec7e[/SKETCHFAB]

[SKETCHFAB]336bbcbd476b45cfbdf77578d7739c39[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• PacoCasares
    Offline / Send Message
    PacoCasares polycounter lvl 11
    awesome! However, sounds like you got a lot in the hand, Id say, to just pick Pyramid Head with a main character (maybe mix Heather with Pyramid Head at the theme Park?), and then look what you can do next if you manage to get that done. Awesome, love Silent Hill Series, make justice :)

I am only saying, because you got 5-6 characters, and 4 environments, so, you got enough material for 4 dioramas, lol :P
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, True! I'll get my ideas down on paper and simplify it down. Definitely don't want to overreach, but I'm just excited about the contest :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    I started to concept out my ideas and realized that I need to narrow down my scope. So I started the initial blockout with a scene that is a mixture of Midwich School and Alchemilla Hospital. I'm going to have James Sunderland in a fight with Pyramid Head, and Heather Mason in the hospital portion investigating the sounds she hears caused by the fight.

This is a rough blockout since there are lots of details that I want to add. I also want to have the school be during the misty world. The hospital will be the other world. It'll be interesting how well I can create the transition in low poly form. I have some ideas though :)

Also testing out this Sketchfab thing. Most of my posts will be images though.

*FIRST POST WILL HAVE NEWEST SKETCHFAB*
  • PaperTig3rs
    Offline / Send Message
    PaperTig3rs polycounter lvl 3
    This is looking great! :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated first post with the newest blockout. I feel pretty comfortable starting the characters now. Most of what makes Silent Hill interesting is the texture. I plan on spending a good majority on the texture and making it feel like the world that the series has created.

I'll probably mix it up between characters and environment work as I progress. I'm also happy we get to use 1-bit alpha! That will make chain link fences and blood decals so much easier XD
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the modeling on the James Sunderland character. I haven't really done any character modeling so if you see something glaring, please mention it! :P Starting the texture and Pyramid Head today!

Character Concept
    James_Profile.png

*Sketchfab added to first entry!*
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a silly question. How are people texturing their models? Apparently you cannot control texture filtering in Max, and Marmoset does not have this option either. I've reverted to old Dx9 shaders in Max and it's better, but is still blurring the textures I apply. :/

I'd appreciate if someone could chime in! :D
  • SaferDan
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    Hey! This helped me out! Might be worth chucking it in maya if you have it!

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46366
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    That's pretty much what I need, though I only have 3ds Max :/ Thanks for the quick reply though! I'll keep digging around and see if I can solve it.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    I've heard the term 'mip-mapping' a lot in regards to max.

Perhaps something about disabling it within your viewport?.. I am wondering about the same issue now that I'm ready to texture. Let us know what you find!

Coming along nicely btw! :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't found any solution :( This makes texturing take twice as long since I can't view my textures in real time. I'm curious what other Max users are doing to view their low res textures as they are painting.
  • AlanSMitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    looking pretty sweet.
  • JimmyRustler
    Offline / Send Message
    JimmyRustler polycounter lvl 8
    Coming along nicely there.

Well, i'm using 3ds Max 2011, and by default the texture is unfiltered in the viewport.
    So sorry i can't help you there, i'm not an expert with this thing. Hope someone deliver a better answer for your problem.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Figured it out! Switched the drivers to OpenGL. Now I get all the pixelated goodness while I texture. :D Now real progress can be made!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty. I started work on texturing since now I can see my painting in real time. Makes a world of difference! I'll finish him up tomorrow and begin on another character. He came in at 511 triangles, and I'm painting 128x128.

CgkKR55.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished with my James character minus the rigging. Starting on Pyramid Head tomorrow!

Also for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get alpha working in Sketchfab :/ I even followed Adam's advice in the transparency thread to no avail. Anyone else have issues?

I was creating a white mask with no background and saving that as a .png.

sEMuXMq.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the modeling on Pyramid Head. Sitting at 458 tri. Texturing will start tomorrow!

FCkSoFx.jpg
  • GragGunslinger
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Looking really good so far, the only thing thats bugging me is the shape of James' head, it feels like it doesn't have enough...volume? His face feels a little small too.
    James' face dominates like 85% of his face.

That's just kinda bugging me.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated my post with textures for Pyramid Head. Since freelance work is getting in the way of the contest, I'm going to narrow my scope a bit, but still aim for something close to what I wanted.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated the first post! Started initial work on tiling textures. I'm still going to tweak them. My idea is to keep the environment darker and moodier (haven't done that part yet) while keeping the characters more lit to draw attention to them. I'm also going to try a few ways to fake a sort of spotlight on the main characters.

I'm going to have a full weekend ahead of me! :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Got most of the tiling textures "done." I'm definitely going to tweak them once I start setting up fake lighting.

Saturday's agenda includes:
    - Rigging the characters and posing them in the scene
    - Finish most of the props

Sunday:
    - Try to add another character
    - Add the smaller details (blood decals, pipes, etc)
    - Skybox?
    - Submit!

KkfpAf3.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished a lot of the props from the classroom and got the characters in there and posed. I'm going to continue working on props tonight. Tomorrow I still plan on trying to create Heather Mason and adding some final touches to the scene. *Fingers Crossed*

tZE6Lpp.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    woo! Mad rush! Just finished Heather Mason. Now I can finish the environment :D

8kmFCvG.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Woo! Finished! :D

[SKETCHFAB]dfde14ce58b640439c77da0bb0f11b2f[/SKETCHFAB]

HIzfOBA.jpg
    BXRjUrc.jpg

Texture Sheet
    KrsFLb0.jpg