Home General Discussion

Rich Diamant using Substance Designer

SurlyBird
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
Anyone on the fence about SD should take a look. Such a tremendous tool.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROMRjbvGgxc"]Substance - Rich Diamant's showcase - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I'm sorry to piss on your cornflakes, but I really don't see the big deal with Substance Designer - it seems you can do the same stuff in PS and something like Xnormal really quickly without needing to graph maps or any of the functions that were showcased in the video.

Of course I should probably give it more of a chance to be fair, but it always struck me as a little gimmicky.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Torch: the biggest power of this is mass production. You can simply tweak a node and the effects will propagate across all of the project (whether that is 1 character or 100), and every node can be tweaked individually.

You can get some optimization when using automation in Photoshop, but you have to build an entirely new process everytime you tweak something. So it is only really useful for the final bit where you apply the same process on the 99 remaining characters.
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome stuff! Thanks for sharing man :)
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Snader wrote: »
    Torch: the biggest power of this is mass production. You can simply tweak a node and the effects will propagate across all of the project (whether that is 1 character or 100), and every node can be tweaked individually.

You can get some optimization when using automation in Photoshop, but you have to build an entirely new process everytime you tweak something. So it is only really useful for the final bit where you apply the same process on the 99 remaining characters.

Exactly. ^

Consistency output across very large projects becomes a huge issue. Unifying your shader properties and your texture process makes for a happy development team.

On a personal project level, you can also essentially save your texture creation process, and return to it at anytime without having to backtrack your creation process.

Project complexity is definitely getting to the point where offloading as many variables into automated processes is extremely time saving.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    On a side note, I was thinking it's great that we're essentially getting to a point where things like Substance, Ddo, and zbrush's new edgelooping dyanmesh thing are going to make extremely high quality asset creation in large volumes a reality very soon.

I'm looking forward to the future of development more and more as we can just spend more time making a kick ass complicated models without the exponential time consumption variables that goes with it.

Huzzah for tools!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Hey that makes a lot of sense, thanks for the explanation. Will give it a more in-depth try this weekend :)
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    I highly recommend texture artists to look into substance. I find it an amazing tool and it keeps getting better.

One other benefit rarely mentioned is the plug into engine ability and how much texture memory you can save. UDK now has a substance rdy connection with proper use you can save a ton of memory.

I do not think this is one of those tools that will just disappear into existence... this is a tool to stay, and will most likely replace and or eliminate NDO, DDO, crazybump and all other photoshop texture helper programs. Testing it out on trail at home and so far it has almost completely replaced photoshop.

My regular tools of use for texture/shader work will be most likely be this.... now
    -Zbrush (high poly sculpt)
    -Xnormal for (Bake)
    -Substance
    -Photoshop (creating masks mostly for substance)

I also had my doubts, but once I really got into it I was like damn this crushes everything else.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Snader wrote: »

Slight disagreement from me here - I'd say the biggest power is that you can tweak it in realtime.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    You can edit things in Photoshop in realtime, too. It's just not modular.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Eh, not quite to the same extent - with photoshop you can't make changes while the game is running, and that's a pretty key difference; you'd have to make changes, reimport, then test. This feature is a real time saver for me, and one that can also be worked into game features without a hitch (player customisation can be taken to a really awesome level, since you can generate player textures on the fly from a small number of parameters, which also makes it very light over a network ;) ).
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SD has the capability to shrink the file size of a game, therefore bandwidth needed to download and storage capacity on a console.

Arbitrary number...I'll go with 35%.

an 8kb node graph generates a 16mb file at run time. that's a big deal.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Gotta echo the love: this tool is amazing, if you're not at least trying it yet, do so now!
    (though you do need to be a bit technically inclined to make the most out of it)
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ambershee: that depends entirely on the engine, though! With unity, you most definitely CAN do that. If I update the mesh or textures they will automatically be updated in the engine, whether the game's running or not. It's really an indispensable feature, particularly on complex materials.

Seeing how Unity-inspired the Unreal 4 UI looks, I'm hoping they also took some inspiration from that side of Unity.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    ambershee wrote: »
    Eh, not quite to the same extent - with photoshop you can't make changes while the game is running, and that's a pretty key difference; you'd have to make changes, reimport, then test. This feature is a real time saver for me, and one that can also be worked into game features without a hitch (player customisation can be taken to a really awesome level, since you can generate player textures on the fly from a small number of parameters, which also makes it very light over a network ;) ).

wrong engine then? ;)
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Yep it depends on the engine functionality. I have seen engines with Photoshop/paint tools integration so it loads real time or on a click akin to refresh textures. I think the biggest win is sb files being inside the game and only generating the texture sizes on run-time meaning tons of more textures to stream or use which will be another hurdle to jump.
  • Diamant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Diamant polycounter lvl 9
    Hi guys!
    Glad people are talking about this! Hope you all enjoyed the video.. let me know if you guys want any screenshots or anything..

I need to echo the positives here.. in addition to what was said in the video, its a ton of fun to work within substance.. I've honestly started to enjoy texturing again with just how cool and free it is.. its almost like playing a game while texturing!

One main feature you just dont get with other workflows is the consistency and speed when duplicating the same material types.. this was very evident with the skin node that I created.. it literally would take less than a minute to create a new skin with the node.. if i had to recreate every step i did within the node each time with PS, it would take hours.. Its such a win from that standpoint..

I'd advise to try it out.. its super powerful once you get into it and learn what it can do.. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask!

We'll be teaching this in the Game Character Academy Character course as well if anybody is interested!

-Rich
  • almighty_gir
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Diamant wrote: »
    Hi guys!
    Glad people are talking about this! Hope you all enjoyed the video.. let me know if you guys want any screenshots or anything..

I need to echo the positives here.. in addition to what was said in the video, its a ton of fun to work within substance.. I've honestly started to enjoy texturing again with just how cool and free it is.. its almost like playing a game while texturing!

One main feature you just dont get with other workflows is the consistency and speed when duplicating the same material types.. this was very evident with the skin node that I created.. it literally would take less than a minute to create a new skin with the node.. if i had to recreate every step i did within the node each time with PS, it would take hours.. Its such a win from that standpoint..

I'd advise to try it out.. its super powerful once you get into it and learn what it can do.. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask!

We'll be teaching this in the Game Character Academy Character course as well if anybody is interested!

-Rich

I have a small question :-) So far I've seen Substance being used for game art and in most cases fantasy and sci-fi with a little nudge the cartoony style.

How does substance handle itself in a VFX/High-end offline render environment where textures often reach 8k and models can easily use up to 8 maps in different UV spaces?. Can the substance viewport handle very high-detailed models and can the program itself output the large maps in a timely manner? I see the biggest contestant in that area would be The Foundry's Mari where you can 'easily' have 8x8k maps.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Is it possible to export your SD project as a PSD where all the nodes are tweak-able layers in Photoshop? As a freelancer I might need to deliver to a client who doesn't use SD but still wants a non-destructive, editable texture with all my adjustment layers and masks intact.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    Diamant wrote: »
    If anybody has any questions feel free to ask!

from the video it looks like there would be lot of texture seam issues around the UV borders. for example, if there was a organic shape that needed a grid like pattern to conform to the UV shell then there would be a problem. in photoshop i would just puppet ward the pattern to fit my UV and make sure it work around the uv seams. how do you handle that in SD ?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Zpanzer wrote: »
    How does substance handle itself in a VFX/High-end offline render environment where textures often reach 8k and models can easily use up to 8 maps in different UV spaces?. Can the substance viewport handle very high-detailed models and can the program itself output the large maps in a timely manner? I see the biggest contestant in that area would be The Foundry's Mari where you can 'easily' have 8x8k maps.

I will let Rich answer the workflow related questions, but I can answer this one.
    4k output is the limit for now with Substance and you most probably won't use it for foreground and hero assets in VFX work indeed.
    However, we have already quite a few VFX studios using it for speeding up creation of background and environment props, complex noises generation, batch map baking and such.

The viewport supports multi-millions triangles meshes with no issue though.

But it's more of a multi-purpose toolbox for VFX studios than a classic texturing package I would say., Mari still being the painting tool of choice for these guys (until now at least...)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I see a lot of people looking for automated solutions for texturing. I work on old school diffuse only stuff and painting the texture is my favorite step, am I weird or is it no fun with current/next gen assets? Modeling is my least favorite part so it makes me a bit sad to see texturing turn into a node graph.
  • SurlyBird
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SurlyBird polycounter lvl 13
    Justin you can have a LOT of fun painting in SD. Once you learn how to graph things, you'll be painting away. Don't let the nodal framework bum you out. It's actually superior to layers in many ways - speed being the main thing I think of right off the top of my head. I use a combo of brushes and SVG (vectors) and it is much faster than Photoshop. And, I have a blast doing it. SD makes texturing actually fun again, IMO. Substance Designer is not just a processing or automation tool (although it does do that beautifully) - it's a dedicated texturing system.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    I see a lot of people looking for automated solutions for texturing. I work on old school diffuse only stuff and painting the texture is my favorite step, am I weird or is it no fun with current/next gen assets? Modeling is my least favorite part so it makes me a bit sad to see texturing turn into a node graph.

not wierd at all!
    i personally do a lot of hand painted work inside photoshop even for next-gen assets and even for assets that are using PBL shaders. i find hand-sculpting, hand-modeling and hand-painting to be more fun too.

if end result is all that mattered, then i could just go buy some 3d scans, use marvelous designer for all the cloths, do some auto retopo and do some auto-texture with ddo and call it a day.

even better, i could just pay someone to do all the work for me because i dont like making art...

:D
  • Diamant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun - sorry.. you can't export everything to PS.. what you can do however, is create a PS file with layers, etc, and bring that into substance. Then you can make the layers nodes to be used in the graph. Any updates to the PS file will automatically update inside of SD... but this is different than what you wanted :/ I guess it would depend how badly they want all the adjustment layers to edit :/

MM - I didn't have any texture seams.. the reason I didn't have any texture seams is because everything was based off of the model. So the curvature, lightmap, ao, were all bakes.. which create no seams.. where seams would be a problem, for instance, is if I overlayed a grunge map, I would isolate the map node in SD, export that out as an image, bring it into mudbox, and paint the seams away.. then save that back out and bring it back in to SD.. I would have to do the same thing in PS.. so that workflow is no different. You could do the puppet warp in PS if that works too..

Im getting the impression that with all these concerns that there is a common theme... people might be under the impression that you will stop using PS or Mudbox or Mari and do everything in SD.. that would be awesome if that was the case! hopefully one day! The truth is, I am still heavily in Mudbox for painting on my model. I'll even still use PS for certain brushes that I like to make sure that base color pass is exactly what I want.. The only different here is that instead of doing tons of layers to overlay and build up a PS file for the final output, I do that step in Substance.

No matter what I would assume you guys will use your maps to your advantage.. I dont imagine anybody hand painting an AO map in PS.. or a curvature map in PS.. you tend to use those maps as either overlays, or whatever on top of your base layer that you painted.. So SD is not getting rid of painting where its needed.. its just changing the workflow from doing the layers in PS to doing it in SD with a ton more flexibility, reuse, and tricks that make certain things pretty easy...

As with any program.. it is a tool. it doesn't have to fully replace anything.. if it helps, then awesome.. and substance has some pretty awesome stuff in it that just makes life easier.. and honestly, like some other stated.. its really fun to use! I dont own the company.. so its not like I'm doing a pitch here to make money :) I'm just letting you guys know that I think its pretty awesome and worth checking out! For me, I'm going to use anything that makes my work better and faster.. I'm not tied down to one software that I have to use.. Its the reason I use both Mudbox and Zbrush.. would be awesome if there was one package.. but hey, I'm gonna use what gets me the job done the best and fastest!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    You SHOULD try substance designer before talking...

ddo, ndo, substance designer, qremesher, etc. saves a lot of time, and effort.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Oh yeah I did not mention yes Mari and Mudbox are still completely viable for very different reasons. I use Mudbox often enough when it comes to unique baked props. I tested out Mari and for game production it does not make sense atm
    at least for me maybe for characters it is different, I think ill test it out more later to get more of a grasp on it learning is good :)

One thing that happens and eventually you start to figure this out is that you keep doing the same steps over and over again in photoshop to make textures. I have my layers with masks,occ, normals, cavity, and all the good stuff to do my composites in photoshop this is something I could either make a action in photoshop to fake a composting program or use Substance with graphs that do all this work super easy and fast plus the look of each texture will remain alike and cleaner in the end. I did not really feel like the artistic side was taken away since really what substance does for texturing is make all the redundant steps you do over and over again in photoshop instantly if you build a good node library, In this case I can concentrate on making the texture better than concentrate on the step per step process. I will most likely still use NDO and crazybump for some stuff... but it will become much less for me for sure.

Substance is a great tool that can be super daunting, but once you build some node structures with modularity in mind you can get tons of textures done in a short time.

and yes I would like a convert to psd file option also this would be nice. Although atm I do not see that much of a reason besides wanting to edit layers quicker with the great paint tools in photoshop. The other reason is you can import this into other paint programs with your layers setup already.
  • ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Quick tech Q for all the SD gurus here:

Someone higher up said it saves texture memory, does that mean SD textures don't use texture sample slots in shaders (in UDK)?

I'm working on cramming as many textures as I can into a landscape material at the moment, it'd be great if SD would let me bust through the 12 texture sample ceiling.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia wrote: »
    Quick tech Q for all the SD gurus here:

Someone higher up said it saves texture memory, does that mean SD textures don't use texture sample slots in shaders (in UDK)?

I'm working on cramming as many textures as I can into a landscape material at the moment, it'd be great if SD would let me bust through the 12 texture sample ceiling.

on the hard-drive/etc they are smaller, but in RAM they're the usual size.

sorry if I wasn't clear.
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Do you know what is seem to be a nice script for Baking purpose in Maya ?
    It's a substance designer's script ?
  • Diamant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter,
    I'm not sure what you are asking exactly.. are you asking about the script I wrote in Maya?
  • San56dra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and hand-painting to be more fun too.1.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.jpg
    4.jpg
  • walter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    walter polycounter lvl 14
    Diamant,
    It's seem to be a script for Baking, with turtle, there is also a Substance Tab, a grey interface, and Yes, it's certainly a script you wrote in Maya =)
    Like RTT-assist to 3DSmax. I use many such tools like this, it's seem to be usefull...
    Have you planned to distribute this tool ?
    Thanks !
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Still 50% off on Steam so I've taken the jump and bought it. Does anybody have any good examples of procedural textures done in Substance? The examples aren't all that great to say the least. I'm sure there's a ton of potential there though.

EDIT- Talking specifically about environment textures. Not sure from the video if Rich is using procedural noise textures for dirt or custom images.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Indeed the examples shipped with the tool are very basic and were made a looong time ago using only noises...

Here are a few assets I've been working on recently. It's good to keep in mind that noises are not everything and SD allows you to bake maps and edit vector, which is at least as useful.

In most of these textures, the noises are used as a last step on top of baked maps and phto sources, or to create the base materials that will then be composited together like on the gun for example.
    The graphs for those textures range from about 5 nodes for the crystal, to a few dozens using custom sugraphs for the gun.

As for tileable environment textures, I don't have any to show right now but keep in mind that if you have a height map or a normal, you can do everything from just that and a few noises. I'll try to come up with a good simple example and post it here.

NJERPMU.jpg
    zUw3uyH.jpg
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feelin ballsy, hope these qualify as good...

dora2.jpg

tesl2.jpg

that column is all height-map, its just a plain cylinder with dx11 magic
  • tac0m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tac0m polycounter lvl 6
    just another step closer to the "make art" button
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for those examples. I'm gonna dig around some more in SD and try to keep the noob questions to a minimum. Just looking through those examples I can imagine people being put off my the apparant complexity when in fact they are actually quite simple in nature. Certainly less intimidating than opening someones Photoshop file with 100+ unnamed layers. :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Noob questions are welcome :)
    It can indeed be intimidating at first. When you realize how fast those graphs get built, less so.
  • CognizanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    I have the substance trial with 20 days remaining.
    Just bought it on steam for $50.

VERY happy.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    crap, went to buy it but it's 99$ now :(
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Send us an email at supportATallegorithmic.com, we might be able to do something for you :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great video, thanks for the post
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goobatastic polycounter lvl 8
    Does substance designer work on windows 8?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Yes, Windows7, 8 and Mac OsX.
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers Jerc. Any chance of a cheeky discount?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    There might be one in the near future ;)
  • Goobatastic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jerc. If i buy Substance Designer 3 do i have to pay for upgrades to newer versions? Cheers Luke
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Only major versions ? I think 2 to 3 was an extra cost, no idea what 3 to 4 would bring?