Home Contests & Challenges Archives Team Fortress 2

Texture/material problem in item test map

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
EmAr polycounter lvl 18
Hi! I wanted to improve an item of mine. When I changed the mesh and the texture, I started to get this weird dark texture in the item test map. It gets back to the normal texture when I kill the owner of the bird. Any help is appreciated :icon60:

I might have screwed up the .qc file but I started fresh with a new item import and got the same result :/

d9e8.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    I think that's just the shading glitch.

Sometimes when playing (since forever) if you stand in certain lighted areas items can appear to be fully lit or completely dark.

In this case I think you found a 'dark spot', but the black texture makes it hard to tell. (well, you can still see the eyes so I think it's just lighting bug)

Might be good to put a yellow texture on it and see how it looks.

or airblast the pyro around and see if it changes
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the advice :)

It changes back to normal only when the pyro is in mid-air. Strangely, you cannot make him jump again after you make him something else BTW. The latter happens with other items as well.

Here's a video, I hope the problem is clearly displayed. Oh, and I added a jiggle bone for the head:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBUJmoHPnaY"]Little Winged FRAG BRINGER preview - YouTube[/ame]
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Weird. I have no idea, still think it's just a map bug (bad lighting, etc..)_

Anywho, do you mind posting your jiggle bone code? Did you paste it in the qc window?
    I haven't had luck with getting them to show yet.

Also, how did you bring up that bot control window?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You can access the bot controls by pressing F8, another more detailed menu opens with F7. You need to be in the item test map for these to work.

I pasted the jiggle code in the item importer's "edit .qc" option. However, the item importer's preview doesn't support jiggle bones. You need to load your item in the item test map after verifying and finishing the import process.

Here's the jiggle code anyway:
    $jigglebone "jiggle_1" {

has_base_spring {
    stiffness 100 
    damping 3 
    left_constraint -0.4 0.4
    up_constraint -0.4 0.4
    forward_constraint -0.4 0.4
    }
    }

Good luck!
  • SoftwareMater
    where are your textures located?
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    They are in the same place as they were before I decided to update the model. I had no problems back then.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome thanks. other than the fact you are using 'is_spring' it seems the same as mine was. I did test in the item test map too, hmm... Well, at least that's confirmation it does work, must've been an issue on my part. I'll have to try again.

Have you tried Source Film Maker yet. At least with that you can load other maps.

I wish we had a nice map for item test.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I tried SFM very quickly but I failed to make my model work. I'll look into it when I have the time. It's pretty useful for us considering all the cool extraordinary screenshots at the TF2 Workshop.
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Problem solved! Thanks to a youtube commenter, the problem was solved. It was a lighting problem and was caused by a negative Y value in the illumination position of the model. I had this line in my decompiled .qc file:

$illumposition -2.960 -3.525 40.114

I changed it to this and no more black bird!

$illumposition -2.960 1.000 40.114

Thanks for all the help!

Here's a video:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DqGbp3E2Nk"]TF2 item preview: Little winged FRAG BRINGER - YouTube[/ame]
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    ah, good to know :) thanks for posting that info.
  • Baddcog
    Offline / Send Message
    ah now i feel dumb, copied your jiggle bone code in there and nothing...

it was the jiggle bone framerate lock. I set it at 10 and they started bouncing all over (dumb laptop).

So again, thanks :) The bone you had is perfect for my new item too, don't even think it needs tweaked :D

really adds a lot of life to it.
  • Mr. Cee
    Hello everyone
    I seem to have the same problem, but only in a certain place on the itemtest map, when the character is looking in a certain direction.

3307oqs.jpg
    Problem solved! Thanks to a youtube commenter, the problem was solved. It was a lighting problem and was caused by a negative Y value in the illumination position of the model. I had this line in my decompiled .qc file:

$illumposition -2.960 -3.525 40.114

I changed it to this and no more black bird!

$illumposition -2.960 1.000 40.114

where do I find this line? It's not in the .qc that the importer allows me to edit
  • EmAr
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Mr. Cee wrote: »
    Hello everyone
    I seem to have the same problem, but only in a certain place on the itemtest map, when the character is looking in a certain direction.

3307oqs.jpg

where do I find this line? It's not in the .qc that the importer allows me to edit

You can add it yourself. Can't tell where it should go as I don't have the game installed though.
  • Mr. Cee
    EmAr, thank you, it really helped!