Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Glock 18

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
BertR polycounter lvl 7
Hi Polycount!
I've been busy creating this G18. It's my first 'real' model in Maya, so that was a nice practice :)
Final purpose is to create a nice lowpoly model of it, and have it working in the game Line of Fire (https://www.facebook.com/RemixLineOfFire?fref=ts)

Crits and stuff is welcome!

G18_01.png

G18_02.png

G18_03.png

Replies

• Ravanna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good god man you actually sub-D loop modelled the grip texture :poly142:
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Hehe yeah, wasn't that hard though. Copied the faces of that area, smoothened them up X times and then extruded the wanted dots / stripes - if that wasn't clear for you :P Hope it'll give a better normal than when done in photoshop.
  • S_ource
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    looks good but i think that you might have problem with the grip showing up good on the normal map.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Why is that? I think it should be ok, if it's not, I'll do them manually in PS.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    I made some changes to the model after some feedback from Polygoblin...
    Besides the obvious ones, there is a bit more floating geo for detais, also the magazine is kinda finished, but not in the shown images below :)

G18_05.png

G18_06.png
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    So, finally had some (made some) time to finish this piece.
    Had a try with both dDo and nDo, which turn out to be awesome :D

Ofc, still open for crits and feedback :)

Glock18_01.jpg
    Glock18_02.jpg
    Glock18_03.jpg
    Glock18_04.jpg
    Glock18_05.jpg
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Yup, he did model an airsoft magazine. Though, should be pretty easy to fix. Luckily you didnt build out the airsoft internals of the gun as well :p But yeah, swap that mag out with a real glock 18 mag, and I think this piece is solid. Nice job man. The modeling is very good for a first, definitely professional level for current gen.
  • nak1411
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nak1411 polycounter lvl 8
    Wow I am impressed, nice work! Very clean and crisp. Lol with the aisoft mag.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guy! I'm feeling really stupid right now because of the airsoftmag :P Something felt weird already haha. I'll fix it asap.

@Add3r
    Thanks, it's not my first model though, it was my first one in Maya. For baking I switched back to 3ds Max however, it felt nicer and cleaner there (can be my bad).
  • Dill-n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    Hey, nice work here. I thought I'd mention, since the Glock 18 can shoot fully automatic I typically think of it using a 33 rnd magazine. Otherwise you'd run through ammo super quick.

Glock%20-%20Model%2017%20original%209mm%20-%2033%20Round%20Magazine.jpg
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    BertR wrote: »
    Thanks guy! I'm feeling really stupid right now because of the airsoftmag :P Something felt weird already haha. I'll fix it asap.

@Add3r
    Thanks, it's not my first model though, it was my first one in Maya. For baking I switched back to 3ds Max however, it felt nicer and cleaner there (can be my bad).

Oh sorry bout that, confused me with your initial post, didnt see the portfolio link. Nonetheless, nice job. As for the Maya Vs. Max, I do all of my modeling in Maya and feel it really just comes down to the person. There are very few tools (most of which are not that crucial), that are not in either program. One can achieve the exact same results in either program, so each to their own ;)

I agree with the 33rd mag though, would be an awesome "cool" touch to the piece. Extended mags are just badass.
  • BertR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BertR polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah I've been working with Maya for about a year now, though, hardsurface modeling just feels more paced and natural in Max for me. Just my taste ;)

Also, extended mags are being served! They don't look like airsoft mags to me anymore :D

Glock18_06.jpg
    Glock18_07.jpg
    Glock18_08.jpg
    Glock18_09.jpg
  • Dill-n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dill-n polycounter lvl 6
    Awesome Magazine! :D

I did just notice one more detail you missed. The magazine release on the left side of the gun sits in a hole that goes all the way through the handle and has a cap on the other side. If I'm not mistaken, this is so if you happen to be left handed, you can flip which side the magazine release is on. You can see the cap on the handle here, just behind the trigger.
    glock18.jpg