Home General Discussion

zbrush 4R6 now with magic retopo

Replies

• Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Man, every time Pixologic pulls something crazy like this, I'm sad because nobody is doing anything remotely as useful for hard-surface stuff :(
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Xoliul wrote: »
    Man, every time Pixologic pulls something crazy like this, I'm sad because nobody is doing anything remotely as useful for hard-surface stuff :(
    What exactly are you having issues with? The tools should work perfectly fine with Hard-surfaces last I checked, the only difference is, you have to used guide lines to make sure you have some proper topology incase you need to subdivide later on.
  • Mongrelman
  • HelloMyNamesJordan
    Awesome video since ive not been able to have a go myself. Cant wait to give it a try!
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    tips hat

Looks good indeed, but I should point out that we've got this in Mudbox now, new for this years 2014 release.
    Would be interesting to see how this new retopo feature deals with existing sculpt layers, or models with UVs and textures.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    dang Pixologic! I'm pretty sure I bought Zbrush while I still lived in Florida, almost 7 years of free updates has been pretty sweet.
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Made me buy Zbrush finally, wish I'd done it when it wasn't £600 though.

They better not charge for v5 now. :/
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Looks pretty much the same as the auto-topology tools in 3dcoat, that have been in there for years. Nice to see Zbrush finally adding those features though.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey wrote: »
    tips hat

Looks good indeed, but I should point out that we've got this in Mudbox now, new for this years 2014 release.
    Would be interesting to see how this new retopo feature deals with existing sculpt layers, or models with UVs and textures.
    They deal just fine since you're creating a new mesh and projecting the old information back, as per course of ZB.
    ZacD wrote: »
    Looks pretty much the same as the auto-topology tools in 3dcoat, that have been in there for years. Nice to see Zbrush finally adding those features though.
    Yep, TheDoctor really was a star player that Pixo got on the team. Wonder if one day, he will update Sculptris back.
  • tottot
    Offline / Send Message
    tottot polycounter lvl 10

Except it actually works now.
  • Equanim
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    Mongrelman wrote: »

Definitely worth watching if you can't try it out yourself. It is similar to the feature in 3DCoat except that ZBrush's remesh is essentially non-destructive because it's stored in the session's history. You also lose some detail in 3DC because it has to convert the model to voxels before even running its retopolgy. ZB's adaptive algorithm seems more sophisticated as well, giving better results with fewer clicks.

3DC seems to retain stronger manual retopology tools though. IMO having both is a sound investment, ZBrush for its sculpting and now "voodoo devil magic" remesh, and 3DC for it's texture and manual retopo tools. Plus updates for both are either free or dirt cheap.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I just a little suprised that so many people are treating this like the best thing to happen to 3d art in years, when very similar tools have been around for a few years.
  • Hattori
    I just a little suprised that so many people are treating this like the best thing to happen to 3d art in years, when very similar tools have been around for a few years.

Where?

3dCoat?
    It's the only one that comes close to it. But as Equanim pointed out, not as nearly as advanced as the Zremesher.

Did you actually watched some of the Zremesher videos or tried it out?
    Because the way how Zremesher perform the retopo is indeed revolutionary and almost perfect.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I don't do character art, but 3dcoat has always given me the results I wanted for enviroment stuff, I don't use it for everything though.
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15

I just threw this together to show why people are treating it like the second coming of sliced bread:
    346135m.jpg

Basically, it's kind of a big deal. With other auto-retopo solutions, you get polygon distribution and layout that's far too uniform to be useful right out of the gate as a game and/or animation-ready mesh. With ZRemesher, a lot of the headaches associated with auto-retopo have been alleviated. The polygon layout and distribution is great, the control curves are actually useful, and the final mesh doesn't have as much of that annoying crap where a quad cuts across a sharp crease or angle in a strange way.

It's by no means perfect, but almost every model I've thrown at it has gotten me useful, useable results. Previously, auto-retopo tools would mainly spit out models that were only really useful for high-end sculpting applications because of their weird geo.
  • bounchfx
    thanks for doing one of these comparisons Swiz, exactly what I was hoping to see. It's crazy how much better ZRemsesher handles polygon distribution towards form changes while the others just do straight up quads.
  • BlvdNights
  • chaosblade
    Thanks for all the useful info guys, this looks great!
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    @ Swizzle
    have you access to the latest mudbox version 2014 SP1...
    would be interesting what its doing with this mesh...
  • joebount
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    It really looks great and I'm impatient to give it a spin this WE.
    The thing that could be a life changer in a production environment would be in fact the possibility to place yourself tris and stars to the location you exactly want and let the software crunch the number.
    It's not really my domain of expertise, but I'm sure that must be achievable. Just imagine you have to place a few markers on the mesh, some lines and tadaaaaa !
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Just awesome......
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVoFi2mnyhA"]ZBrush 4R6: A Look At ZRemesher - YouTube[/ame]
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Bellsey wrote: »
    tips hat

cool man.

let me know when Autodesk offers free upgrades too and i might consider trialing mudbox again.
  • WarrenM
    joebount wrote: »
    It really looks great and I'm impatient to give it a spin this WE.
    The thing that could be a life changer in a production environment would be in fact the possibility to place yourself tris and stars to the location you exactly want and let the software crunch the number.
    It's not really my domain of expertise, but I'm sure that must be achievable. Just imagine you have to place a few markers on the mesh, some lines and tadaaaaa !
    This would have saved me a bunch of time on a mesh I JUST finished last week. Can't wait to try it out on future stuff...
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    anyone noticed that r6 is a bit buggy - crashing with mem errors?
  • Super
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Not yet but I've noticed they STILL haven't fixed that fucking undo hotkey bug or the vanishing custom menus.

Christ Pixologic, get your house in order.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    yeah but at the least the magic buttons work
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    this is actually quite impressive. nicely done Pixologic.

as for Mudbox, its retopo is quite messy as far as i have noticed. it needs lot of guide curves and often symmetry is resolved really poorly in mudbox.
    Tenshi wrote: »
    Zbrush: $795 per license.
    Mudbox: $795

yea, but i bought zbrush 2 for $500 and have been getting free upgrades since.

for Mudbox, so far i spent $1050 including all upgrades. i might have to upgrade to mudbox 2014 soon which will cost me another $555.
  • Kilkus
    Offline / Send Message
    Kilkus polycounter lvl 15
    Just had just chance to test this, and quite frankly its pretty amazing. I can definitely see it going to have its advantages and disadvantages, but overall its a great addition to the zbrush toolset!
    Its almost becoming a one stop program, it just needs some strong poly modelling/editing tools now to back this up.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Ruz wrote: »
    anyone noticed that r6 is a bit buggy - crashing with mem errors?

yuh. happened a few times to me.

Thank god Zbrush has an Autoback now.

^_^

I find the magic retopo really lends itself to a certain type of modelling. Going to give it another go today.
  • Fuse
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wtf is this witchcraft!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    well looks like I may be going back to zbrush again, when will they fix the GUI though to be less......tarded
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    well looks like I may be going back to zbrush again, when will they fix the GUI though to be less......tarded
    It takes some getting used to but it works pretty well once you do.
  • Bellsey
    Offline / Send Message
    Bellsey polycounter lvl 8
    cool man.

let me know when Autodesk offers free upgrades too and i might consider trialing mudbox again.

Nothing stopping anyone trialing Mudbox now, download and run the trial for free. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    okay let me rephrase that.

i won't be upgrading mudbox from the older version i have, because it costs as much each year to upgrade mudbox as it does for a one time zbrush license that comes with free upgrades.

that, and i've yet to have a client ask me for a .mud format file. but i'm regularly asked for .ztl files. so it makes absolutely zero financial sense.

you can always customize the GUI to anything you want?
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i did a test, with no guides,here is the results with time it took to do the operation, next test will be with guides.

clearly in this case, zbrush comes out way on top.

retopo%20compair.jpg
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    you can always customize the GUI to anything you want?
    THIS! Jesus, you would think with all the free video on Vimeo and YT where people show you how to customize your UI, and hell, even create Sub-Popup menu's that keeps all your favorite tools, functions and option under the click of hotkey, would have understood that ZB interfaces strength is it's custom-ability, and it's not the same as it was since V3.1
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Wow, 20 seconds! The speed alone makes it worth it ...
  • EarthQuake
    Oh man this looks really good. Yeah, the ZB automated one there looks the closest to a game ready mesh, by a wide margin.
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    lol...I'm still on 4R4.
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    i think this is gonna be even more useful for hard surface meshes that are created 100% inside zbrush.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    THIS! Jesus, you would think with all the free video on Vimeo and YT where people show you how to customize your UI, and hell, even create Sub-Popup menu's that keeps all your favorite tools, functions and option under the click of hotkey, would have understood that ZB interfaces strength is it's custom-ability, and it's not the same as it was since V3.1

Thats fair enough to say, has been awhile since ive actively used it, and have loved using some of the features like dynamesh.

I suppose customizing it is the way to go, but it just never feels like it handles right to me, even the viewport navigation feels alien to any other software and theres no personal hate for Zbrush I used it as a sculpting app first and its features like this which just tempt me back, but I love the way mudbox handles out of the box but its geo creation tools and topology curves is lackluster even in the latest build.

so strengths and weaknesses of both, and im not saying you cant get used to the way zbrush handles im just saying if you are honest it handles like no other piece of cg software out there.
  • ENODMI
    Offline / Send Message
    ENODMI polycounter lvl 14
    New features looks amazing, but
    I just want folders for my subtools...
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Folders for sub-tools, layers for poly-painting and proper blending modes (like PS)...and I would be crazy in love with ZB.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    You do have layers for polypainting. Granted, they're super basic and nothing amazing, but they're there. I use them routinely.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i did a test with guides, the 3dcoat one kind of shit the bed and left a massive hole in the side, i will also add that i do not have too much experience with 3dcoat, and i have exactly the same experience in all 3 packages with regards to the retopo tools, absolutely none, i just looked at documentation and repeated the exact process and used the same guides in every package.

retopo%20compair2.jpg
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Another note to point out with zbrush: you can drop the slider from 50 to 0 (I forget the name of it and I'm not near my comp), and the result will be a more uniform distribution (in case you are planning to keep sculpting). Holding alt while clicking the zremesh button will also use a different algorithm (more noticeable with symmetry and lower resolutions)
  • Swizzle
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Arsh, that Zbrush retopo job looks better than some models I've seen from professional artists.

Crazy.
  • Makkon
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I need this so bad.

Arsh, you're not making the temptation to spend money I don't have any easier.
  • JamesQuall
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesQuall polycounter lvl 7
    The zremesher tool is amazing, but I'm also really loving the trim brushes, they're what the clip ones should have always been. This is going to be great for hard surface stuff.
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Yeah it's definitely a big step up from 3dcoat, I'm impressed.