Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Sci-Fi Tank

Zbrush pics, thats why the edges look a bit jagged. Criticism appreciated-this is my first big, greeble heavy scifi piece.
imjptkxe.jpg

Replies

• Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Next stop is lowpoly/UV/Baking. I wanted to collect some feedback on the highpoly shapes before going on tough. Looking forward to your helpful input :)
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Personally, I dislike greeble. It's all nonfunctional noise. Those two gratings on the top are nice, they seem useful as vents. The ribs on the bottom and the circle things (door/exit?) are okay too. But all of the insets and extrusions are rather meh.
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Personally, I dislike greeble. It's all nonfunctional noise. Those two gratings on the top are nice, they seem useful as vents. The ribs on the bottom and the circle things (door/exit?) are okay too. But all of the insets and extrusions are rather meh.
    And personally, i agree with you :D
    The Tank is a HD rework for an old game im helping out on. I wanted to stick to the original as closely as possible. Last year we had Hideo Kojima and his main design guy visiting. The design guy (can´t remember his name tough) said that there is a tendency to put stuff in just because it´s cool, but serves no function-i agree with him.) The grates at the back (if you mean them) are the main exhaust, so theyre fully functional as well with smoke coming out of them)
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ibv92uy5.jpg
    Playing around with dDo. I have something specific in mind and right now its too much grime already.
  • PatTl92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatTl92 polycounter lvl 6
    Looks nice so far, keep it up :)
    Only thing that bothers me is that there is no shadow between the tank and the tank track coverage.
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    THanks PatTl! Im baking a LP AO as we speak-i fixed some smoothing and UV errors and going to redo the texture from scratch. It´s my first dDo project so nothing lost but time, but already some knowledge gained.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    PatT192 is right about the shadow. If you do an ambient occlusion bake, it will really help define your textures. And be careful with dDo, it's an absolutely fantastic texturing tool but some of their scratches are pretty noisy and very easily recognizable.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Holy shit! Neocron! I have some fond memories of that game. Is this game being brought back from the dead?
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Sunkist. Yes, it´s noising up pretty fast. The Backside is extremely noised up, i haven´t figured out how to mask out stuff yet.

Brandon, yes that´s something from Neocron, and NC is alive and kicking after being taken over by the Community. Regular patches, a new server, and all that for free (not free to play, free free)

AO on the Chain Housing (Chains will come soon^^)
    hh4psumg.jpg
  • JDunay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty cool looking. How did you like dDo?
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDunay wrote: »
    pretty cool looking. How did you like dDo?
    Thanks Mate! I love dDo, my gratitude goes to Quixel for gifting me a license! :thumbup: It feels a bit like a cheat, but then, if you know how it works you can do it yourself. It´s just way easier and smoother that way.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Right now it looks very dDo'd. All the edge wear is very even and through, it looks fine in some places, but out of place in other areas. I think it would look a lot better in the wear and tear was centralized in area that would be scraped more often, more so towards the bottom than the top of the tank.

Keep at it and make sure to do another texture pass on it after you're done in dDo.
  • Ricemanu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ve picked it up once again, this time doing the textures by hand.
    I think i´ll use it for my portfolio.
    adqwe2uv.jpg
    3wce9ud5.jpg