Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P. VERY Lowpoly model of Harry Mason

Neo16
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
Hi guys,
This is probably the first time I write here, but since I started this project long ago I really want to improve my overall skills, let's start by the modelling ones.

Here's my Harry Mason model for a remake of the first Silent Hill that I'm building upon Max Payne 1 engine (as a mod).

The polycount is 1895

Bear in mind before commenting that this model was modified from a crappy one that I made previously, so there's still some triangulation deriving from modelling it in milkshape.

Tell me all your thoughts don't be afraid to tell all you think it's not good.

Replies

• Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    Nothing to comment about?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well i guess its a bit late for big changes, however for the next character you should balance your details better, why do the boots have so much detail compared to the super low looking body? i could understand the head for something like cinematics but try to keep stuff in balance.

You might want to check the wiki for better lowpoly topologies.

also i wouldn't call it VERY lowpoly, its lowpoly sure but very low is way way lower ;)
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    well i guess its a bit late for big changes, however for the next character you should balance your details better, why do the boots have so much detail compared to the super low looking body? i could understand the head for something like cinematics but try to keep stuff in balance.

You might want to check the wiki for better lowpoly topologies.

also i wouldn't call it VERY lowpoly, its lowpoly sure but very low is way way lower ;)

XD let's say very unbalanced as you said. I'll keep that in mind.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The proportions of the body parts are really awkward. Did you use reference like photos or the vitruvian man or a wooden mannequin? You probably should. Proportions are one of the most crucial things to get down.
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    I used ME as a reference for the body
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    I'm finishing the legs, what do you say for the texture 'till now?
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    New Images, almost finished, just a few touches up, do you think there's something to fix?

head_render.jpg
    jacket_render.1.jpg
    legs_render.jpg
    shoes.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Is it supposed to look like Harry Mason or something like it because he doesn't look like Harry Mason at all. The head is too tall and elongated, Harry's head shape is very angular and more of a rectangular shape. Also some facial features do not match like the eye shape, nose shape and even the hairline. I have an image from the original. This is the CG Harry.
    SHill_conceptart_anmU1.jpg
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    It should look like Harry Mason, but it's not my primary focus, considering that he's not a real person (Shattered Memories model was totally different from the original), I'm trying to focus to my modelling and texturing skills, I'm not a character artist myself.
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    5uaurrU.jpg

Despite the fact that Shattered Memory's Harry looks slightly different from the original, there are still features between them that have been carried over that I feel you have failed to achieve. The biggest difference I can see between the two Harrys is the size of their eyes and nose. The differences with your Harry is the height of the head and overall shape. Both game iterations of Harry have very angular and strong features, particularly the jaw line and hairline.
    Both original Harrys have a stern expression as well (even though Shattered Harry's is less so) due to the positioning of their brow and eyebrows.

As for the body, on average, a male should be between 8 to 7.5 heads tall. Your harry is about 6.5 heads tall.
    Here are some references to compare with:
    XyF3XX0.jpg
    CjLZe16.png

It should look like Harry Mason, but it's not my primary focus, considering that he's not a real person (Shattered Memories model was totally different from the original), I'm trying to focus to my modelling and texturing skills, I'm not a character artist myself.

If you are aiming to improve and focus on your modelling skills, you should listen to what others have said here about your model. You may not be a character artist or ever want to be one, but you are modelling a character model right now and you should set your standards at an appropriate level to achieve good results. You should not brush off people's critiques that you asked for.

Despite all that, it's a good start and you should try and fix up the things people have mentioned here.
    Hope this helped in some way :)
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    Really, I'm here to receive critiques and I usually take in account what I hear from others, I'll try, if I can to adjust the proportions, I hope I don't have to re-unwrap and texture my model, just that, the crotch and wrists seem to be in proportion, I have to check the other ones.

I replied like that, because I was worried more about the texture realism, but it seems that is not a big problem as you all reported as my model has something strange
  • Neo16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo16 polycounter lvl 13
    I come back after disappearing for so long, I still want to do something with this mod, even just publish the nightmare part of the game, it's nice to play with constraints (like the ones the original MAX-FX Engine has), it challenges you to do very creative things. Just asking this, since I made this model back then using Max Payne model as a reference, could it be that that's also badly proportioned? or maybe the head of my model is too big, I don't know