Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling Reel

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
TylerGreen polycounter lvl 5
This is a work in progress, any comments would be appreciated :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q55F0fDd6I"]2013 Modeling Reel - Tyler Green - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The modeling looks solid, but if you do a car showcase , then the renders should be top notch. Your lighting is really basic and not very well. The kitchen looks good, but everything is so evenly lit. And no HDRI.

Get some image based lighting with more boom and set multiple lights and maybe better shaders for the cars, they are just not right. Not reflective enough and just play with them until it looks fine.
  • TylerGreen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TylerGreen polycounter lvl 5
    I did not have much time to light it, I needed to hand it in for class. I'm working on lighting using an HDR right now and it looks much better.
    Thanks for your comment.

Shrike wrote: »
    The modeling looks solid, but if you do a car showcase , then the renders should be top notch. Your lighting is really basic and not very well. The kitchen looks good, but everything is so evenly lit. And no HDRI.

Get some image based lighting with more boom and set multiple lights and maybe better shaders for the cars, they are just not right. Not reflective enough and just play with them until it looks fine.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your emails splitting sideways aren't very easy to read. Might be better to just line them top to bottom normally. I also think the font is also a bit hard to read, especially with how long your blogspot URL is. The Maya logo also looks very outdated. Red logo was since 2009 no?

The shading on your red car honestly doesn't look good and doesn't add any positive impression to your model. Not to mention the high light makes it extremely hard to see your wireframes. You'll be better of using flat shaded materials with probably an ambient occlusion.

The texture on the white car also doesn't look good, again a flat shaded with AO might serve you better.

You want to show your model and wireframes. Don't let bad shading or bad textures distract the viewer away from what's important.

Your kitchen has mostly simple shapes, nothing really complex that you need to show it in different camera angle. Give more time to your restroom instead, it has much more interesting shapes going on.
  • dpadam450
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpadam450 polycounter lvl 12
    The car tires need a lot less specular and the normal map that is on it is weird, not very strong and then fades towards the center of the tire.

The kitchen looks cartoonish. I think you need some wood on the cabinets instead of the solid color.