Home General Discussion

Occulus (rift) Dev Kit?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
moof polycounter lvl 7
Anyone got one? Mine should be shipping soon (this or next week?). Was wondering if anyone had insight about what to expect?

Replies

• Mongrelman
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    CALIBRATE IT!

We had one at work recently and most people got to try it, but it wasn't being calibrated so you'd just go in and put it on. Many (most?) people ended up feeling sick, myself included. Some went home for a bit or were basically potatoes at their desks for awhile, and even up to 10 hours later still felt a bit off.

It was very cool, but quickly got hard to enjoy as I was fighting back nausea.

TF2 has a guide on the wiki on calibrating so it's worth a look.
  • BlvdNights
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    We have one at work. Haven't done a whole lot with it, but tried out the Epic Citadel roller coaster demo.

But yes, calibrate it first, and then go to town.
  • Muzzoid
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    Mongrelman, BlvdNight, thnx!
    Guessing this is what is being referred to for calibration:

http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Oculus_Rift_User_Guide

"Some went home for a bit or were basically potatoes at their desks for awhile, and even up to 10 hours later still felt a bit off."

That doesn't sound good :o

Was wondering if anyone has used the thing with unity, and unity projects yet? Seems like there is direct support out of the box from what I'm reading.

I was also watching the demo on that thing the other day muzz; I have a feeling you're going to end up wanting to jump or something and trip over yourself.
    Looks cool though either way.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Interesting - the dizziness described above sounds a huge lot like the feeling of playing an FPS game on a big projector... The Unfinished Swan (PSN) gave me pretty much the same symptoms, for about an hour. Green tea kinda fixed it tho :)
  • Reverenddevil
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Moof, the nausea is caused by the first exposure to it What we were told when usign the occulus was when you first use it dont go over 3 to 5 mins. You ahve to get acclimated to it. Even after the 5 mins I was a bit quesy but it went after about 10 mins. Also dont move in weird jarring ways when trying ti out for the first time. The guys from the occulus company told us to take things slowly and becareful witht he controls at first.