Home General Discussion

Is it wrong to take a break?

Been kinda in the lows and I just finished school, as in graduated, and I feel mentally and artistically exhausted, is it wrong or bad that I don't really want to do any work for my portfolio?

Replies

• J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Depending on how long you take a break, no. That rush to graduation is a trying time, not to say you won't experience them in the future as a game artist, but it is tough. Take some time and read some books, play some games, de-stress for a week or so, but be very careful, it is a slippery slope.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Not a studio artist, no do I have the amount of experience or insight of most people here, but I always take short breaks between freelance/personal projects to keep myself sane. If something takes me a couple weeks or months, then I'll take a week to myself to get back into a good mindset.

Mind you, I get obsessive when I really get into a project, and that week is necessary I think to reset my brain and priorities, and get my sleep schedule back on track.

Main thing is doing what is right for you to maintain a good working blanace. Too much can be just as bad as too little if its causing you to burn out.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    after i wrapped up my degree it was almost a full year before i had any interest in building a portfolio or working on any personal projects, so i'd say it's totally fine to take a break. However like Jonny said, it's a slippery slope so dont lose sight of what you hope to achieve
  • poly_bob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poly_bob polycounter lvl 3
    R0gu3 wrote: »
    I don't really want to do any work for my portfolio?

Don't do it!!!!

Kidding. There's nothing wrong with taking a break.
    But from reading your words, it seems more like you're no longer interested in working on your portfolio.

Which is kind of a bad sign.

I just graduated not long ago myself. I've seen some of my former school mates go through the same thing and it seems like after they took a "little break", they're no longer interested in working in the CG industry. They kind of gave up.

I actually just came back home after being away for school for a year. On a bit of a break right now. But I'm going to start doing more personal work starting tomorrow. I really really want to start my career in games. That's why I'm so ready to do more work and keep applying for jobs.

It's normal that you want to take a break. Just not too long and make sure you're in the right mind set and not give up on what you want to do with your career.... if this is really what you want to do.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    poly_bob wrote: »
    ...not give up on what you want to do with your career.... if this is really what you want to do.

And to maybe piggyback on the good advice by poly_bob, it might be a good chance to evaluate your current path. Might be that games are not what you want to do, taking a break from game art in particular could be a good time to explore other CG areas, like arch-vis, or just rendering in general, or something else related but new enough that it doesn't feel like work. Something without the pressure of getting good enough to make it a career.

I take these kinds of breaks too sometimes. Last time I did it, I learned Vray and rendering, and it was very rewarding.
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I understand completely. I've just been going nonstop went through summer and winter session while working 36 hours on top of fall and spring semesters lol... just exhausted and every time I open Maya or Udk I just get frustrated. I know it's a slippery slope and it's not one I intend to slide down, I just wasn't sure if for some reason those few weeks after graduation were super critical or if I can relax and enjoy being done finally
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Good luck man, take a break and then back into it when you're ready.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I sit and do 3d all day at my job, so I go through periods where I never touch 3d at home, but I DO try to be doing something creative; draw, write, etc.

If you've been doing school assignments, maybe doing something completely left-turn would be good for you? One thing that I do when I turn off "3d mode" for awhile, is have a sketchbook around me, or a camera, and whenever I'm playing games, or driving around and see something that makes me think of some piece I want to do, sketch it out quickly, snap a pic, whatever. I don't start working on them right away, I just kinda keep them in idea mode, adding to quick sketches or whatever. I find when I let an idea fester enough, I tend to be really excited to jump back into personal projects and flesh it out.
  • FlynT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FlynT polycounter lvl 8
    Sure you can take a break! It's quite important to do so since as an artist you're kinda bound to your creativity. It's nothing that you do just to be able to pay your bills you need the passion to get things right. A while ago i saw a nice video by the TalesOfNalstone Team on Youtube. He provides some pretty nifty tips to keep yourself on track and healthy, if you don't want to watch the whole video skip it to minute 10 where he talks about resting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh1ckJ2neOE"]Brainhacks for Artists - YouTube[/ame]
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I take breaks all the time these days. Keeping up with work, personal work and keep my relationship in good shape is really tricky business. You should definitely take a break if you feel that you're burning out.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I have my fulltime work as well as freelance when i get home, so I often get really tired of 3D, And what works for me is going on Photo shooting trips with my girlfriend, kinda keeps you in the artistic area, you can relax and also keep the gf happy.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I love taking breaks because once I get back into it my quality increases about 10 fold. It refills my attention to detail and patience so its much easier for me to think clearly and approach problems I normally would be frustrated with.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    frell wrote: »
    I love taking breaks because once I get back into it my quality increases about 10 fold. It refills my attention to detail and patience so its much easier for me to think clearly and approach problems I normally would be frustrated with.

I wish I had included this, as it's probably the number 1 reason I like taking little breaks between projects, and even within projects.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Yeah get back to work all of you. Some where out there is a 19 year old kid working 18 hours a day to steal your position. no room for complacency.
    if you must have a holiday then carry your wacom pen in your top pocket at all times( as a sign of defiance)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    taking a break is natural for sure, probably exactly what I would do.
    then again there is this mindset.....

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPqprN5nrJg"]Eric Thomas: How badly do you want it? [wimp.com] - YouTube[/ame]
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That depends on what you can afford.

Can you afford to take time off?
    Can your portfolio afford to take a break? Assuming that most grads leave with below average portfolios I wouldn't count on it getting you a job now and it probably won't get you a job in 6mo.
    Can you afford to have employers asking "so you graduated XX months ago what have you been up to?"

Take a week or two off? Sure maybe even a month. Its good to recharge and doing other things is great at building up the visual library which you will rely heavily on for the next 20-30-40 years. But anything past a quick recharge will probably do more harm than good. There is a point that skills and knowledge start to atrophy and you need to make sure you work them out.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    From personal experience, I have found that taking a break leads to a longer break, and then to an even longer break. There was a time early in my career when I basically took a five year break on personal art. But when I redirect the burnout by doing 2D when I'm burned on 3D or characters when I'm tired of environments, I power through and don't feel I need a break. Haven't missed a night of personal art work in three years. But to each their own.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    there is nothing wrong having a kit-kat... after a long period of work, working on weekends i love them!
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    Taking a break to detox and regen is a good idea. Get away from any and all computers, tech! But put a time limit on it, and expect it to be very hard to start back up.

I would suggest to set some very specific goals:

"On June 30th after my break, I will start on my portfolio and make 2 new pieces."

its a simple goal with a specific time, that also is very attainable. It also gives you a time limit on how long you can take a break. People have mentioned its a slippery slope - when you have 1 week of doing nothing but playing games or eating pizza or drinking, that can quickly fall into your norm for 3-6 months if you aren't careful.

Set some long term goals as well!

"I want to be employed at [game studio] in 6 months."

A long-term goal will help support short-term goals of building a portfolio, networking, and growing your skillset. You don't want to get caught up in the long term goal however - it is something that takes a longer time to achieve, and is best supported by smaller goals that help push you towards the big one.

Important part here is that, yes - its ok to take a little break. It is not ok however to lose sight of your long-term goal, and to help that out it may help to set small-scale goals to help you both "get back into it," as well as push you to achieve the long term goal.

good luck! Congratulations on finishing school! You had the dedication and drive to finish that, you can use that skill to help push yourself into the next stage. GO FORTH AND CONQUER (after going to the beach and relaxing for a little bit with friends).
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Right after graduation, I jumped into my car and drove to the beach. While still on the beach, I sent a couple of emails and got my first industry job.
    So, go for it ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose brings up a good point. Take a break and recharge but it shouldn't be open ended. You can't wait for the feeling of inspiration to come back to you. You will be a production artist and you will be required to produce even if inspiration isn't there, no AD will ever accept you sitting around on your can waiting for inspiration to strike.

Work ethic in the face of low inspiration is a key skill to have.
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for all the tips :3 I'll hop back into it probably in the next week or too, probably starting with Noob Challenge 8 again or this warhammer that keeps turning in my head.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I'll just add that as for longer personal projects, it's important to let them rest for a day or two while you go work on something else or get some drawing in.

Sometimes it's important to walk away from them for a short period in order to avoid the 'burnout' phase. That said, don't have 50 unfinished projects in your hard drive. just have an alternate project that is a fast one to complete.

That way you are seeing that you can complete a project and not get stuck in at the texture phase, or the rendering phase or wherever it is that you start to lose interest.

Every project (good and not so good) deserves to be finished.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Work ethic in the face of low inspiration is a key skill to have.

That is brilliant.

Sharing this everywhere.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    As most people have said, breaks leads to longer breaks, For me motivation comes and goes, but I know from experience that you get the most done when your the the most busy, work until 11 in the night get home 12 work on your own stuff until 3 or 4 wake up at 8 in the morning go to work again.

When I finish work at like 8 in the evening, I get home I make a meal, thinking I have a lot of time, I watch a movie, turns into 2, looking at concepts, got a great Idea which I'll start on right away after checking my facebook which I dont't, go sleep, repeat.
  • Count Vertsalot
    You can watch my kid that popped out 3 months before I graduated and I'll do you're portfolio for you. I've been done with college for an entire month and I'd kill to actually be able work on game art right now. She only poops all over herself twice a day tops. I think it's a good trade.
  • R0gu3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think Ima have to pass on that verts, me and kids don't get along :P
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can watch my kid that popped out 3 months before I graduated and I'll do you're portfolio for you. I've been done with college for an entire month and I'd kill to actually be able work on game art right now. She only poops all over herself twice a day tops. I think it's a good trade.
    Just wait until you have to wake it up, get it dressed, get it fed, drop it off at school, go to work, pick it up, help it with homework, drop it off at soccer practice or swim lessons, make it dinner and then play with it. Sure diapers suck but you get nostalgic for the days when all it did was sleep, cry and poop, ha!