Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Budhist Temple - UDK

Zocky
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Zocky greentooth
Hey!

I started with the smaller UDK map recently, budhist temple, roughly based on Yakushi-ji temple, Japan.

Anyhow, first of all, reference of the building in question:
hNmWzhq.jpg

OH, and i'm working this with maya + udk.

I wanted to make this one with the help of modular workflow, which, as expected, proven to be quite a task.

The biggest problem is, that each floor has roof and and walls of unique sizes. That made it quite problematic.

So, i decided i'd split into quite a few (somewhat) modular pieces....
7DOq9jz.jpg

I'd use these as unique assets, out of which i'd recreate the pagoda within UDK.

Anyhow, i ended up with quit a lot unique pieces as you see. This maybe isn't even a problem, since i'll only have couple of buildings at most.

This is how it looks when i assamble the pieces within maya:
Q5O6M1a.jpg

I used grid snap size to 2, anything more gave me problems.

So in any case, i'm just wondering (and i'm sure there is) if there is any better way to approach this.

Also, couple of UDK questions....how can i duplicate asset in udk, without it being offseted? Seems like no matter what i do, the duplicated copy gets offseted. This is quite a bit annoying, so is there any way to avoid this?

Tnx.

Cheers,
Zocky

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    So I don't know of any better way to go about doing this stuff, but you may run into issues with lighting map seams for the base pieces. For the wall and the roof pieces it would be less of a problem because you have geometry that can hide it.

I also don't envy the job of laying out lightmap UVs for those roof bits :P

I just checked my UDK, and it does the same offset thing, of which the amount seems to be determined by what you have your grid snap set to. I figure it might be a feature so the user doesn't duplicate something on top another mesh without knowing (or maybe just a bug). I just hold down the alt key and then transform the object which creates an instance.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little progress:
    esfUqsQ.jpg

@m4dcow:
    First, sorry for the late reply.

Well, i guess i wasn't carefull enough with the roofing when it comes to light map. I still don't have a lot of experience with baking lightmaps, especially with UDK, so i guess that's one of those things i'll learn the hard way, hehe.

I'll see what i can do to fix it.

Hm, didn't know about the alt thingy, that sounds exactly what i need, tnx a lot!

I do have a another question though.

If i have two objects that have identical mesh and uvs, but different textures; is it possible to have one asset, and then when you make instance of this asset, you tell which of the two texture to use, so that both would render in one batch/pass?

Anyhow, tnx a lot man for your comment!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    In UDK you can apply different materials to instances of a mesh in the viewport. Better yet you would want to have some sort of master material, where you have texture parameters, and apply material instances to the different meshes, this way if you want to edit the main material it propogates to all the assets rather than having to do the same edits for each material.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Aha, so basically, you have one master material, where you make texture as parameter, then you make two material instances, and then i can apply one of these two material instances to instances of static meshes? And all this is rendered in one batch? Great!

Well, tnx again!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, after learning more about the lighting and some other things, i finally started to assemble building within UDK:

X1XWsLo.jpg
    PSHxyMR.jpg

Do note, textures are just templates, i'll deal with them later, right now, i'm focusing un putting it all together within udk, light map uvs, etc.
  • ASGUARDVIKING
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool dude! I think even the base textures ya have here give it a good overall base look. Looking forward to seeing more. How did ya go about the material instance? were they useful? i haven't used them and am curious.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx for your comment!

Well, right now, material is just regular material with texture assigned.

But from the testing i did, you basically create normal material, and then convert texture into "parameter". Then you create material instance, and assign this instance to the assets in your scene that you wish. Seems to work without problems.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok so did some more progress. Here's how the pagoda looks right now (still haven't started with the texturing:

8uxC3dU.jpg

And light map uvs for one of the roof tiles, just thought i'd share it.
    z5YaElh.jpg

I was thinking how should i approach the ground. It will be somewhat similar to these, just maybe the area wil lbe be a bit smaller.

Should i use BSPs or just go with the assets for stone ground? Any ideas?
    CKm3kIz.jpg
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I would merge a lot more of the islands on the lightmap together. Whole top n_n_n_n shaped roof part could be one island could be one piece.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx for comment!

Well, allthought it's more like o_o_o_o, meaning, it's actually full cylinder, now that i think about it, you are probably correct. The top of the roof could be sewed together, and same with the bottom part. Oh well, i'll remember this for the other buildings i have to make.

Tnx!
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Have you considered making a normal map + displacement map instead of modeling every single o_o_o_o_o? Seems like a more efficient way of doing things. Otherwise looking good :)
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    i did, but it looks good when you have camera like on that image i posted, but it looks too flat when you saw it from the ground, so i decided to go a bit berserk with the polycount. :P

If it becomes problem, i'll try to reduce polycount somewhat.

Tnx!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Also, any ideas how to approach the ground, like you see on the reference? I'm thinking to make it with the bsp, but not really sure?
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    OK time for some more updates. Textures are still very rough.
    Will try to focus in bringing entire map together, before i i finish texturing.

bI8lP0w.jpg
    5vYNGrt.jpg

--edited--

Wups, seems like i forgot to change shadow map res for the grass...
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Started to work on the third building:
    MAPaSws.jpg
    muTxJEJ.jpg
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    Things are looking really good! But I also think you have to high of a polycount on the o_o_o_o, try to do more _^_^_^_ if possiable?. If you want to show this in your portfolio for later it might be smart to show that you can use normal mapping good.

Its is way easier to just do a highpoly while cranking down your polycount on a awesome scene will attract more hustle around art leads who are recruiting people
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, yeah, i guess you are right about it.

I guess there sure is some room for optimisation, my only problem was, that while with normal map it would look good from the top, it looked too flat when looking from the ground.

Still, that's really good advice, i'll see what i can do about it. Tnx a lot!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    For the lower POV, I have seen people use a trick where they place alphas for those circular end pieces to get a nice silhouette. At this point in time, don't spin your wheels going back and forth optimizing, keep moving with your scene getting it looking good, and at the end if you think its worth optimizing, do so, if not put that knowledge to use in your next project.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Hm, yeah that's a bit i'm afraid of, if i started going back and optimizing, i'll go back and rework some other stuff, and i may spent too much time on this one project/map.

Still, even then, i guess i can't hurt to learn how i could optimize this farther more.

I did a little test, and here are some results:
    XFdZfzY.jpg

m4cow, i actually did think of that trick, but it kinda didn't really seems to look convincing with just triangles, like i have there, it didn't reall blend well at all from certain angles. Maybe i'm was just doing something wrong, i guess i'd have to see example of good use of this.

Tnx for your comments guys!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Tri count isn't an accurate way to compare optimization, you should be looking at the vertex counts of each mesh in udk, because 3d modeling program and game engines count them differently.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    @Zocky I was talking about something like this
    9umBOVL.png
    You could even use this technique with the poles on the underside too with the right smoothing and capping them off the same way. There are lots of ways to optimize this sort of stuff, and this is just one way to tackle it.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    First, sorry for the late reply!

Wow, you actualyl went and did that just to show example? Man, tnx a lot!

Yeah, i see what you mean; i'll keep that mind mind, looks like a neat trick.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    OK i decided to go aways from the real reference, so started to play with the level blockout.
    Also, trees and bushes are from default UDK assets, I'll make my own later on.
    i2hdOYH.jpg
    HJp2JxB.jpg
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking pretty awesome. Keep it up.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Was wondering if someone could give me a tip or two about this thing.
    Sm0dWCE.jpg

This grid like pattern. I'm not really sure how should i approach something like this. I'd like it to be quite thick, like on this picture.

Now, if i make it as 3d model, i could simplify it a bit, but the polycount would still be quite high. On the other hand, even with the pararallax map, i think it would just not work as good as i'd like it to be (it would look too flat, in other words). Especially when you get close.

So, do you guys know any tricks when dealing with such thing?

Tnx.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, in any case, started to put (somewhat-place holder) assets into the scene:
    t9lSVPa.jpg
    kfIIcaX.jpg

I know, not really much to comment on right now, but i'll keep this updated hopefully....
  • Mischievous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mischievous polycounter lvl 6
    Well since I'm stalking Polycount now, I could suggest using an alpha texture for those details you mentioned earlier. You can use like 4-5 planes with the alpha texture to make it look 3dy.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, that was my idea aswell, but it usually works best if you don't go too near to it, and you can't see it from...in my case, you will be able to come very close, and it is somewhat thick and you will be able to look at it form side aswell, so i'm not sure if that's really best idea to go for.

Plus i'm not sure how good it is to stack several meshes with alphas on top of eachother.

Well, as it is right now, the polycount isn't really bad either, but was just wondering if there is any other trick one can use.

Also, tnx!
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    You have simplified the design decently, but if you want to optimize more you could make the outer parts geometry with depth, and the designs in the middle, just flat polygons. Also if you are going to use this stuff in the multi tier design, texture with alpha would be good for those.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah, i was thinking about that. That way, i could hide it being 2d plane better.
    Although i'll probably leave this area s it is, since i maanaged to simplify it and optimize it to a point where i think polycount won't be such a problem anymore, i think i will use that technique on some other areas, where fence like that is much more dense.

Tnx for your reply!
  • FuzzYspo0N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the look of the temple so far. Can't wait to see the final scene.
    What could be really nice is a big gratuitous fountain in the middle where the biggest tree is, water makes for nice contrast/reflections and adds details. The more traditional fountains have a lot of cool things to model/sculpt http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/Japan_Kyoto_KiyoMizuDera_fountain_DSC00611.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Tnx for your comment!

Yeah, that's great idea! I scrapped some parts of the pics on first page, but i still have i think good place for that.

Man, i really need to go to japan one day....such an awesome architecture they have there...
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok so i'll start with making a statue first, since i'm totally such at organic modelling, so i'm a little afraid how it will go (need to learn retopology finally too for it).

Here's a start. This is still mostly made in maya, and with a few more tweaks, it will be ready to be sculpted in Zbrush. After i'm done with high poly sculpt, i plan to do retopology in order to make low poly mesh out of it. But not sure yet in what app i will do that, there are several options.

So, anyhow, not exactly the best model ever, i was struggling quite a bit with it:
    rx7fZfB.jpg

Anyhow, i only played a little with retopo so far; i know ZB has a way to do it, so does maya, and so on...but i'm just wondering what would you guys suggest to do retopo? I mean, what app to use? Maybe topogun?
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    so just some quick things about that asset your making. It's called a Shishi Lion and males have their mouth open and are on the right side to the viewer looking the opposite direction. the right paw has a globe underneath it, and females have a closed mouth and have a baby shishi under the left paw. You can find all this out on wiki but I thought I would save you the grunt work. Best of luck!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Oh, tnx a lot!

Hm yeah i did seem to see two different variation of that statue just like you said. Makes sense now hehe.

Hm, looks like i'll have to do a bit more research on that topic then, tnx man!

--edited--

Also, yeah i noticed one of the arms are on the globe, but was thinking of working on that via simple skeleton after the mesh is done, i think it shouldn't be so problematic. But if i make it already while sculpting, it will make things a bit more problematic.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    OK so i started with the sculpting in Zbrush. I won't complicate too much with the high poly mesh, since i still have lots of work to do with this map.

So here's the high poly (wip):
    B7OkQyd.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    OK just a minor update. Still having a problems with the back legs and some other parts, will try to fix this, hopefully tomorrow, and then start with retopology.

UyLQ9I5.jpg

Speaking of it, i was hopeing someone could help me a bit here, maybe just quicky maine topology guidelines over this image or something, would be of great help.

I haven't done many animal models, and especially not many statue models. So a little help with how the topology should look like, would be of great help and greatly appriciated!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Ok, i'm calling high poly (of lion itself) done. There are things i'd like to improve, but i have to call it finished at some point, if i want to finish this map ever.

niu7EK1.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Started with the retopo. First time i'm doing this (usually i'd start with low poly and then sculpt based on that)....Gotta clean up and optimized mesh a bit though:
    p4QcEgW.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Pretty much finished with retopology. Might want to clean it up farther a bit.

11.800 tris. Quite a bit, but i think UDK can handle it.

wHK8Wp1.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Time for some more spamming, hehe. :P

Ok so finished baking normal map. Quite happy with the result. Will start with the texturing now.
    Models have 12.400 and 13.500 tris. Will see if i will make lods, might even optimize meshes farther later on, but ...dunno, udk should run that fine....

gXkQUvP.jpg
    hUro73N.jpg
    j7bNdmt.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    So, i started to finally paint the texture. First try was abso-freakin-lutelly horrible, so i restarted the texture from scratch.

Still far away from what i'd like, but i think it's improvement from my first try. And still have some ideas how to push it farther, even though this is just a start.

Reference (sort of):
    chinese-lion-statue_2.jpg

Current progress:
    aspG3S9.jpg
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    When it comes to texturing, its about the subtleties man, check how the paint degrades off the statue not in an EVEN manner(what you have), but rather in an UNEVEN or in different GRADES of erosion. That alone should tell you how to approach your texture. Good luck!
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    @garriola83,
    Tnx. Yeah, i'll focus on working on that next.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    So, just to check out if i'm going the right direction, would you call this improvement, or do you think it's even worse? I tried to make more variation on the worned out spots. This is far from perfect yet, but would just like to know if this is improvement and i'm going into right direction (especially the shoulder area)...

TEfpILp.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Small progress. Still needs a lot of work, and still have to work on making the worn parts more varried like on the reference...
    gCNhONP.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    A little more progress:
    1xD7hBL.jpg
    Td1yKBs.jpg
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Man i'm such a spammer. XD
    Anyhow, i promise this is last picture for today. :P

I tweaked a bit specular and some other minor details, i think i like it a bit better now.
    I also pasted reference image. Do note i'm not trying to duplicate reference 1:1, but rather to get overall feeling that it has.
    9MLXAaE.jpg
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    looking really sick Keep Going