Home General Discussion

New game idea

jhines142
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
jhines142 polycounter lvl 10
Hey guys, so I have this idea for fun, silly ios or tablet game: Big Wheel Racing. I got the idea from my son riding around on his big wheel, and remembered when I had one, ah memories. Anyway, I was wondering who would be willing to join me on this little venture. I am located in Cincinnati, ohio. Aorund here we have indiPub who distributes indie games worldwide, (they used to be ZOO games). Just throwing this out there to see who would be interested.

--Jason

Replies

• Overlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm going to ask the obvious question. Why is a racing game based on Big Wheels fun?

You're making some huge assumptions that things that are fun in real life automatically translate to a fun game. You have to realize that the game has to be fun for reasons other than that it's based on Big Wheels. Games aren't fun because of their themes, they're fun because of things like (but not limited to) challenge, balance, skill, and reward. Nobody will likely want to work with you on this just on the basis of an idea. You're not offering any other contributions to the project. Ideas are like toilets, you can find them everywhere and most of them stink. If you want people to get on board, you better have more than an idea you got watching your son playing. You need to provide something of substance. You need concepts, prototypes, a structured design plan to follow. As you are now, you're just a guy with an idea. There's millions of people like you out there. There's nothing compelling about this that will attract people to work on your idea, especially for free. To sum it up, you need to prove to people that your game will be fun and people will want to play it. Just because you think it will be isn't enough.

Also, trademark laws will get in your way. You can't make a game based on a trademarked product without getting permission.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I think a mobile game (if you could get the license to make it) would work very well. There are plenty of examples of games that capture points as you drive/ride/fly along a path...don't see why this one wouldn't work.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    If they can get a Lawnmower Racing game into the market.......

Also, this popped in my mind for the potential gameplay concept
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqQjpTbHR0A"]BOBBY'S WORLD INTRO - YouTube[/ame]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    This comes to mind for me
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy7ztJ3NUMI"]"The Shining" - steadishot by Garret Brown - YouTube[/ame]
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    katana wrote: »
    I think a mobile game (if you could get the license to make it) would work very well. There are plenty of examples of games that capture points as you drive/ride/fly along a path...don't see why this one wouldn't work.

Actually, I'm kind of getting a vibe of something between NASCAR and playground wars.

Aftermarket pedals, front drive wheel diameter vs pedal throw length ratio tuning, PTA and local toy store team sponsorships on the trikes, a chop shop run by the janitor out of the mop room behind the elementary school gym, and an entire team financial management and marketplace based on Jolly Ranchers.
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    I think you should make it an MMO.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks wrote: »
    I think you should make it an MMO.
    tumblr_mcx7ohD78P1qdcrbd.gif
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I think it's a cool idea, but you'll be hard-pressed to get many people to join you without first showing concept art and a prototype.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    notman wrote: »

fuck me that would be an awsome game.... would need oculus rift support to sell it propperly
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This belongs in the Work Opportunities section.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44

To get the most interest in your idea, make a playable prototype. Doesn't have to be pretty, just playable enough to get the idea across.
    jhines142 wrote: »
    Hey guys, so I have this idea for fun, silly ios or tablet game: Big Wheel Racing.
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont forget, Big Wheel is trademarked, and I'd assume that goes for the look and styling to the extent that they can get away with it.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Paradan wrote: »
    dont forget, Big Wheel is trademarked, and I'd assume that goes for the look and styling to the extent that they can get away with it.

funny thing about that - the owners of Big Wheel didn't go around suing everyone that used the name as a result the name became a generic term associated with trikes in turn making the trademark on Big Wheels invalid.

On the other hand, Wham-O will lay the smack down on you if you refer to a flying disk as a Frisbee.

Since we aren't lawyers you'll still probably want to double check that.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    No, forget lawyers. If anyone sues me I'll just say "the bear in the spacesuit said it was okay". Which will either win them over or have me declared innocent through insanity.

On topic; you need more than "racing game about trikes", explain the gameplay, mechanics, style, what kind of experience are you going for? Is this a simulator like LawnMowerPro 2000, or is this a child-fantasy-exploration like Costume Quest?
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJcVECLkHvg"]Costume Quest: Launch Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Sure, you need to be able to explain the game in 10 seconds, but you also need to be able to back those words up with an actual design document, or like others mentioned a prototype.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Wham-O will lay the smack down on you

with a name like that such a behaviour could almost be expected
  • jhines142
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhines142 polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, its just an idea at this point. I like what GarageBay9 Said, "Aftermarket pedals, front drive wheel diameter vs pedal throw length ratio tuning, PTA and local toy store team sponsorships on the trikes, a chop shop run by the janitor out of the mop room behind the elementary school gym, and an entire team financial management and marketplace based on Jolly Ranchers." That is exactly how i picture it in my head as far as general 'stuff' surrounding an overall game play of you trying to be the fastest racer or something of that nature. Of course you'll play as a school kid. The tracks i was thinking of like the playground and a bonus level in the shining house or something.