Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Derelict House Project WIP

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Adam_Jarvis polycounter lvl 3
Hey Polycount! I'm in my final year studying 'Game Art' at University currently working on my Final Major Project - The Derelict House.

Posting up my progress so far hoping for some critique and advice to make sure I'm on the right track

My first Polycount thread ^^

7.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Replies

• 3dcaspar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dcaspar polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there!

This looks really nice.. ;)
    I like the overall quality and atmosphere a lot!

No crits from me so far, besides the fact that it's a bit dark in the last two screenshots (maybe only too dark for presentation, in-game it fits very well)
  • swag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is excellent work. I like it a lot, reminds me of Fallout 3.

No real crits from me either (except it is a bit dark as 3dcasper said).
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    7.jpg

In this image the first thing that strikes me is the lighting on the fire. I would tone down the brightness a bit, you're outside... the sun will always be a strong light source. At the moment it's just a bit too strong. Maybe reduce it's intensity by half?

I've been doing lighting for a year professionally now, so... lighting is really something that's been sticking out to me recently.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I agree about the fire, it's really bright right now. I think you could push the wear and grime a little more too. The stairwell shot from the second floor would look really nice with some more of the leaks. A more dramatic style of lighting would help with the derelict feel as well, because with the candles being the main light source, it feels inhabited. Try pushing more emphasis on the outside lighting, with dusty light shafts coming through the windows or even some holes in the building itself.

Also, I think that yellow streak on the right is from a high bloom.

Looking forward to seeing more updates :)
  • danscott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow- This is amazing.
    I'm working on something quite similar at the moment , a house after an apocalypse, but yours is way better.
    I love how your environment tells a story of what may have happened there before it was derelict
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback!

yeah the dark shadows have been bugging me for a while now. I tried using global illumination and changing the number of bounce lights but didn't achieve the result i wanted. Ended up placing the candles in different areas (particularly in the living room) to light the scene better.

I do agree about the fire, turned down the brightness and it looks much nicer

I'll post some newer screens soon of my progress.
  • snoops3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoops3d polycounter lvl 12
    Hey I really dig this great stuff man...

My crit would be the roof tiles on the pitched roof, to me they dont look like roof tiles, they almost look like floor tiles from a grungy old linoleum flooring pattern. also I think roof tiles should overlap each other a bit to protect the house form rain?

anyway great work !!!
  • Shrike
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking really good

On a side note, your barrel would totally burn the whole house down if you take a look.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work here. Love the lighting and mood of the interior.
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update. Taken your guys advice into account and here's my progress so far.

1.jpg

Living room area brightened and dusty light planes added

5.jpg

4.jpg

2.jpg

Broken wall pieces. Ivy growing into the house to add the derelict/overgrown feel I'm after.

3.jpg

Changed the fire outside plus added a little more rubble to this area
  • Reowwww
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reowwww polycounter lvl 6
    Adam gets a gold star
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSja0urR1T1GpxcMwOCzlyot-Vot_GdlrtSFLLuXYSvqtrfQRQA
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message