seven polycounter lvl 13
  • KennyTies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude awesome job on the swat guy!
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh dear lord. I could watch that bake for hours.
  • tokaru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tokaru polycounter lvl 7
    i guess if you finish this entry will win this time. Awesome in every sense
  • Bogdanbl4
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Progess!!! :)
    Some minor things I'd like to change but its pretty much there.
    SwatLow.jpg
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    empty, that's coming along, but right now he's just one solid color.... blur your eyes. you don't have to add crazy rainbow colors but doing something with the values will go a long way.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Looking awesome, Mat! I like the work on the spec.

Couple of feedback :

I have to agree on the monochromatic comment. Adding an extra color (even subtle) would help separating the materials (metal/rubber VS cloth) too :)

Examples :

http://s.cghub.com/files/Image/105001-106000/105624/004_max.jpg

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110721155016/deadliestwarrior/images/8/80/Swat.jpg

http://digital-art-gallery.com/oid/94/640x1020_16407_SWAT_Officer_2d_sci_fi_swat_soldier_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Also, I feel like the overall character is really "outlined". I really like the effect of the metal and it works OK on the rubber, but it feels a bit off on the cloth. Again, choosing where to put it, would help with the overall readability.

Can't wait for the next update!
  • ziikutv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    I think you are on the right track. Looking forward to this one.
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I think the soldier texture needs some more work. The baking is just awesome and super readable, and then you lose all this readability on the texturing. Overall texture is too dark imo, not enough values brake up as well. I think also there is too much grunge on this guy, it's too noisy and sharp which doesn't help the readability. Highlights are a bit too strong as well.

Cool ref of similar soldier :
    http://images.g4tv.com/ImageDb3/262959_l/crysis-2-multiplayer-screenshots.JPG
    http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120112165040/crysis/images/0/0e/Crysis_2.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    good gawd what a bake!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there guys. Long time no post. I'm sorry I've been over my head with so many things that it's just crazy. I've been managing to carve out some time here and there mostly during the night to work on that contest and didn't even have the time properly reply to your awesome comments and see what's going on in other threads. I'll try to fix it later today :D Meanwhile I just got some time to upload a few pictures:
    WiP-1_1.jpg
    WiP-1_2.jpg
    WiP-1_3.jpg
    WiP-1_4.jpg

I'm sorry if those are too dark, it seems that 4 of the monitors that I use are all over the place. Let me know if it is so I can fix it, thanks :)

Just as a reminder nothing here has dedicated diffuse textures or other useless crap like that :D As soon as we're done I'd be happy to set up all the assets up for grabs so you could see how everything works, but meanwhile here's an unlit shot:
    WiP-1_2_1.jpg

gotta run! will get back to the comments later today! thanks for sticking around you're awesome

cheers
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I was wondering what you were up to. Looking great as usual :) Can't wait for all the useful information you'll share and the final entry :)
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Time to cry for help :<
    take a look at the swat dude on this picture, he's tiny, doesn't appear on map, polygons are missing.

This is what I get after exporting FBX from Maya as static mesh
    Tried everything I could think of - changing shaders, normals, reduce polygon count, killing history. The only time it worked out is when I assigned one maya material to whole model (and we have, like, 5 or 6 per character)

R55IopN.png

it shows that model is 7k polygons, while originally it's 35k
    any ideas what could this be?
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    I have no idea what it can be but did you try importing the fbx back into Maya? That way you can at least know whether the problem occurs during exporting to fbx or importing into UDK.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    This is shit is truly amazing, such details!
  • pity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pity polycounter lvl 8
    slipgatecentral
    You can try export it with the ASE file format. It is an old method exporting in udk, but it's working. I really don't know, does the newest maya version supports this file format to export. If not, you can try this plugin http://udn.epicgames.com/Two/ActorX.html

Empty
    Very nice character, but i agree: subtle color variations requires.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great so far :)

u could try exporting the mesh as a .ASE file with ActorX, no idea if Maya supports default ASE export? Anyway, it looks like a normal problem or maybe double verts, but that doesn't seem likely. I had the same problem at some point couple years back with animated meshes from Maya to UDK but I think I fixed it using ActorX export plugin. Anyway, good luck :)
  • Omnicypher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Omnicypher polycounter lvl 9
    cool stuff so far. as for the import material problem, make sure in Maya that each material has a diffuse texture and unique name, triangulate the geometry, and make sure its all selected on export. also you may need to unwrap a second UV set for your lightmaps and add some kind of collision geometry for it to render properly. good luck
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there guys, been going through the thread from page one and I just wanted to say thank you for all kind words and encouragement. We appreciate it a lot.

Raul, you're most welcome man. Your scene is looking dope man make sure you finish it :)

Graham, thanks for taking the time to actually go through the texture man! :) The final texture still differs from what we had there but It was definitely a necessary exercise in terms of grasping the style.

Yeah that maya export is a head scratcher. And since we're asking for help here we might as well go all the way :) None of us have calibrated monitors, but we're pretty sure that mine at home are overbrightened making me do everything too dark. The questions is just how dark. I took a screen out of bladerunner and compared histograms and this version seems quite similar in terms of value distribution:
    WiP-1_1_Brightness_1.jpg
    Does it look too dark/bright for you?
    I also got this number 2 here which is even brighter:
    WiP-1_1_Brightness_2.jpg
    It drives me crazy cause on some monitors I can hardly tell the difference yet on others it's makes it really brighter then intended.

also please nevermind the compression, had to upload it to a crappy hosting since I'm at work. :)

Anyway more art is being done and some updates should follow sooner then the previous one :) thank you for your help and for sticking around. Catch you later, folks :D
  • Kyuzo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kyuzo polycounter lvl 12
    @D1ver, probably bright light problem come from laptop/desktop monitors
    atm i work at laptop with desktop monitor connected, and i can say that on desktop one i can barely see detauls in bottom-right corner, but on laptop they can be seen without any problems.

Since almost nobody will calibrate brightness/contrast on laptop monitor, i dont know what to do here :)
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    just make a game out of it
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for advice, now I'm sure I've tried literally everything, this is just irrational, I can't localize the problem.
    Only working solution is re-exporting through max - works fine this way, though takes twice more time. And I got a lot of files to export.

FBX files from Max are1.2 mb vs Mayas 8mb. What the shit. Feel like this guy here
    tumblr_m58qz9jVVa1qjb4aeo1_500.jpg
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Have you tried exporting as ascii version of FBX?

For some odd reason this has helped me at times.
  • Paznos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paznos triangle
    I've had this issue in the past, give this a shot.

The model size in the viewer is 0x0x0, so chances are your model in maya is scaled down incredibly small, try increasing the scale by 100 or so and export again.
  • lonelysquare
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lonelysquare polycounter lvl 7
    How have I missed this thread? Beautiful work.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Oh, thanks man, we appreciate it.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    A little taste of things to come:
    Rappel_1.jpg
  • wolfblaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wolfblaze polycounter lvl 9
  • paranoidMonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    paranoidMonkey polycounter lvl 13
    What an amazing entry!
    I know it's a wip, but imho that bluish colors are a bit too much.
    Keep it coming, guys.
  • chaosblade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking really great guys! can't wait to see it finished.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thank you for the kind words guys! Yeah we can't wait for it to be finished ourselves, so we could go back to being lazy and sleeping at night and doing shit other then working haha :>

Regarding the blue I think it might be the question of color composition. If I put enough warms in there to balance it out it could be ok, but yeah, definitely, a lot of the stuff here is subject to change. For one I really want to tone down that lens dirt :D

Cheers
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Really nice, love those environments, d1ver!
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Thanks, Saman, you're very kind, man! :D
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Looking great, the characters are outstanding!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Taking your guys feedback and playing around with the swat guard's color scheme. I'm still not totally happy with it. If there is time I'll come back and do another pass on this guy.

SwatGuardColorFIX.jpg

I finished the hp of our next character, the prison guard.I'll post a render as soon as I can.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    All the detail and the glossines plastic(carbon?) makes me drool... X_X
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MUCH BETTER! :) Great job.
  • Vorge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vorge polycounter lvl 18
    Oh man, that's looking great Matt! Great materials.
  • Callesw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo much better! damn clean :)Also, great updates d1ver!
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    Phew.. Here is the grey bake for the prison guard, with/without riot gear. He's not as tight as the last guy, but given that the deadline is comming up I'm pretty happy. I reused a few pieces from the swat model.

PrisonGuardGrey.jpg

I'm running a marathon tomorrow so I doubt I'll have a chance to work on this anymore this weekend but atleast the other guys can start rigging/posing him around the map.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Really awesome, Matt, loving that helmet!

Good luck with the marathon. I would just die if I ever tried one of those things :D
  • EvanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    You guys are so awesome! I have so much of your work bookmarked for inspiration, looks like I'll have to add another one.

Man, I have the same issue with monitors and it drives me bat shit insane. The contrast is actually looking pretty consistent on my 2 monitors, which doesn't always happen. For me, the corners are a bit on the dark side on both of my monitors, but really not by much.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    You're very kind EvanL:) ! Thanks for your feedback, man, much appreciated

And now I want to introduce a friend of mine and another great member of our team Madison Parker - who's been helping us out for the past few weeks with environments! You can check his website right here:
    http://www.cloudengineart.com/projects/2883277

Madison has done quite a bunch of work for the yard shots that you see here:

escape_wip_3_2_by_d1v-d64ngeu.jpg

escape_wip_3_1_by_d1v-d64nfzz.jpg

Now to me on the second image the composition feels all over the place so far and it's just generally has too much shit going on :) for our final presentation we're gonna do it really sort of bite-size so it doesn't get to overwhelming.

Anyway, lets us know what you think and thanks for sticking around! Just a bit more and we're going to give it all away :D

Cheers
  • MaYdaY
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaYdaY polycounter lvl 8
    really nice stuff in here. Love all the passion you guys pent on the details. :) Good job!
    For me in personal I think the last shots are a bit to blue. The red flags are very nice. Maybe you can use this element more?
    The shot with the airships and the flood light its very hard to read. I think its an easy fix just move the airships to the corner of the image so they frame the center of your image better.

Looking forward seeing your final shots!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is looking REALLY promising! The assets are really awesome.

A couple of crits, though :

The composition and the lighting on the second shot are really messy and drive the eyes on the wrong thing, IMO. Which is, atm, the top of the middle structure where the 2 (huge) helicopter lights merge and not were the inmates are fighting the guards. You guys should probably redirect the attention in the courtyard where the fight is happening. The fact that the sky is brighter than the courtyard also means that we are always attracted by the upper half of the image, which isn't really ideal.

That leads me to the second point : The center of the action is way too far from the camera to be really enjoyed. The foreground doesn't give us anything and you really have to squint your eyes to understand what's going on in the background (the lack of AA makes it even more difficult).

I have to agree on the colors : Of course cool VS warm is one of the contrast fundamentals, but I feel like it has been applied in a very academic way and overly used on this image, where you get super bright and saturated blue VS super saturated and bright reds. The resulting effects (at least for me) is that, a, it reduces the feeling that we are in a prison and, b, place the whole scene in a fantasy world (which was maybe the goal?).

Just my 2 cents, of course ;)

-R
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    It looks promising.

One thing I can't help but think, is that it needs Orange to compliment the blue.

Right now the Blue with dashes of Red scream 80's. A bit like FarCry Blood Dragon.

I know it's cliche to go Blue(Teal) and Orange, but you really do need that complimentary colour need to balance it, and bring more warmth.

I know it's shitty, but it totally works:
    blueorange500_229.jpg
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    This is an insane project, you guys are all crazy!!!

Agreed with Renaud & Jacque on the color choices though.

Having that blue on blue with dashes of pinky/red is not quite getting across the sensation / urgency / tenseness of the situation. Actually it almost feels fantastical / ethereal which i dont think is what you guys are going for ??

Maybe you could try really playing with the levels and separating the values of certain objects, and pushing that pink slightly towards a warmer hue and increasing its presence so that its more of a player in the whole scene??

Looking awesome guys - cant wait to see final result!!