Home General Discussion

Rendering images for a Portfolio question.

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
Hi.

I was wondering how people feel about folios that have renders that came straight from software such as Maya or max.

I know plenty of people use Marmoset, UDK, Cryengine, etc. I know they're fine, but is it just as acceptable to use renders out of Maya's new Directx 11 Shader or max's Xoliul shader?

cheers

Replies

• Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    Of-course it is.

As long as it looks good sitting in your portfolio then use whatever you want. However you might get a quicker and better result using some of the other tools you've mentioned.

I'd say, use whatever gives you the best result and that shows your work in the best light/quality.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I don't know the answer to this, but I imagine that whatever REALTIME solution you want to use is fine -- just use whatever puts your work in the best light. Also, demonstrating familiarity with engines like Cryengine, Unity, and UDK can't hurt your chances.

Mostly though, I just commented to say that your portfolio link in your signature is broken. It points back to polycount/forum/yourportfolioaddress, instead of just your portfolio address.
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    ysalex - Didn't realize that link was broken. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Nothin wrong with viewport shots

Software rendering a low poly model will usually look like ass especially if it's diffuse only so I'd avoid that
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    On the point - I've seen several quite senior artists with high-quality offline rendering work in their portfolios (VRay renders etc) it doesn't seem to be a detriment if you already have a bunch of good quality realtime work. I know I'm personally looking into doing some learning / doing some studies in VRay as it's great to learn about physically based rendering, and how to build materials/shaders for those kinds of PB systems (which are becoming increasingly more common in games).
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    marks wrote: »
    On the point - I've seen several quite senior artists with high-quality offline rendering work in their portfolios (VRay renders etc) it doesn't seem to be a detriment if you already have a bunch of good quality realtime work. I know I'm personally looking into doing some learning / doing some studies in VRay as it's great to learn about physically based rendering, and how to build materials/shaders for those kinds of PB systems (which are becoming increasingly more common in games).

http://www.peperaart.com/ has some good example of high poly renders, but I wouldn't do much more than that.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Ask yourself if there is a benefit to it.

There is nothing stopping you from just apply a basic, grey, white speced, real-time shader on your model, minus the rendering time taken, and post-processing in PS, like any other image out there.

If your model can survive the blemish of a real-time normal map on a shader, then it will survive everything else.
  • DeeKei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeeKei polycounter lvl 12
    I'd think so, I've just been using maya viewport cos marsoset still havent updated their program so that it works properly windows 8... unless ive een living under a rock and they updated without me knowing :(