Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First gun - Sci-fi/Industrial Pistol

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
mospheric polycounter lvl 11
So I've been tasked with creating a weapon for a game I've been working on. Set in the future in a mix of industrial/sci-fi elements. First off, I'm not a gun guy. I know a lot of people here are, so I'm hoping for some feedback in terms of the gun and pointers for the game model.

After several blocking out attempts and analyzing tons of concepts, I finally came to something that I'm happy with to take to high poly. This is the block out I have, and I'll be starting the high poly soon.

K3foOzY.jpg

Replies

• stanley82
    Offline / Send Message
    stanley82 polycounter lvl 7
    hi, i like the concept, nothing to say against :)
  • pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    When I first looked at the ortho side view, I saw it as negative space above the trigger and handle, yet upon further examination I see that the hammer section is indeed connected to the grip. You may want to address that transition to have less of an indentation to lessen the shadow.

Loving the design, I know you stated this is a block out.....is the back of the grip going to be rounded off? It's really blocky.
  • CougarJo
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Cool! I like the block out! Looks powerful!
  • Clos323
    looks really nice. very strong silhouette.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

pixelpatron: Yeah that area gets a little lost, but I think it's due to the block out. Once it's high poly, it shouldn't be an issue. The same goes for the back of the grip. It'll be rounder. It's important it looks like something you could and would want to hold in your hand.
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Got most of the high poly done. Need to get the screws, rivets, and other smaller details in before I start baking.

vPNCC2F.jpg
  • Oniram
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 15
    so some of this is looking a bit odd. lets break it down. so its a revovler yea? ok, so how do you reload it? the chamber typically is able to break off to the side in order for you to put in the bullets. by the looks of your design. this isnt possible.

http://sg.sea.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/gsagi/gsagi0908/gsagi090800162/5407997-cylinder-open-on-a-pistol-that-operates-as-a-revolver.jpg

could it be a breakaway revolver? in which case it would need to have some sort of hinge that allows the front to detach.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111106185611/battlefield/ru/images/f/f0/IzMech_MP412_REX_1.jpg

by the design.. if you tried to pull back that trigger, it would instantly catch on the trigger guard, so i would suggest angling that differently.

as far as the modeling goes. its very basic. mostly just some random shapes in there which dont really do much except add silhouette and are littered with bevels for visual interest. if your target goal is to make something look recognizable and new, while maintaining visual interest, beveled boxes wont really cut it. take a look at these for example.

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/319/2/e/scifi_snubnose_revolver___shot1_by_protecta-d4g97gu.jpg

http://media.pcgamer.com/files/2011/05/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Revolver.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-f7E1nWuAuaM/UHnK1rFkLjI/AAAAAAAAF8k/W1pLmDTke7k/s1600/pistols_guns_revolvers_weapons_pistol_revolver_smith_and_wesson_desktop_1200x801_wallpaper-317793.jpeg

http://3pointstudios.com/imgpf/3ps_brink_hipoly_revolver02_02.jpg

those guns have shapes that make the guns look entirely unique, yet still maintain itself as a revolver. the pieces that are on there all make sense. rounding this back to yours for example. the bottom left most piece, the trapezoidal area under the barrel. whats that for. why does it stick out so much. it almost looks as if you could extend that out and make it have blades, like this

http://www.torfrick.com/Art/WIP/GoWgun4.jpg

it essentially has no purpose to exist other than just being there. now on to the top of the gun. you'd typically want to keep the gun's top a straight line, due to sights being there. a gun without and sort of aiming aid is kinda pointless, so its pretty critical that you keep that straight.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/sa.jpg

as far as the chamber goes, its looking really soft. the holes in the front end of it seem as if they're made of gel, and the struts that are coming off the cylinder seem not cylindrically sound.. if that makes sense. (see image)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13680846/cylinderthing.jpg

thats a small nitpick but its something im on a constant lookout for when making hard surface details. overall id say revisit your concept. find a way to make this look cool, instead of just a regular ol' gun shaped object.
  • _DeadPixel_
    Really cool design but I can't help thinking the handle is too small, either that or the barrel is too big and would be too heavy to hold.

Maybe you could counterbalance it a little?
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram: Thanks for taking the time to write that up! I'm going to go back and make some design changes based on your feedback. One of my weakest points is that I'm not a gun guy. Pouring over some diagrams should help me make some design decisions that are more functional.

_DeadPixel_: I agree! I struggled with that a bit on the blockout. I fear it got away from me a bit XD I'll make adjustments to make it better balanced. Thanks!
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Oniram FTW

If you are going to go out on a limb and redesign something your not huge knowledge wise on, you need to be able to bs it. Want to add new parts - great! just make it look like the belong and have some function to them.

what I like:
    -that it has a different silhouette then the typical gun
    -the trigger guard, not sure it fits with the rest of the gun (and it's not functional on yours) but maybe for a different style it could work
    -the bottom bits that are blades in a pic posted above as well as the top "sight" part of the gun have potential if you can make them look like they have a reason for being there

cons:
    -too many pointless simple shapes that looked like they just got tossed on to make it look complex
    -trigger when pulled would hit the bottom of guard
    -the revolver oval intents look like they need work
    -handle looks too small
    -gun looks really top heavy especially away from the shooter which would make it a bitch to aim
    -can't get over the two extruded and beveled squares on the side and back of gun, get rid of asap and reference for something better and more believable

summary:
    -spend more time in the concept stage before you rush into modelling, goodluck!
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone! I've made another pass after encountering a few issues. Unfortunately I can't really spend anymore time on the design and need to start the low poly/bake soon after adding some details like screws. I definitely think it's a step forward but far from perfect. If anyone has any feedback, I'll be sure to incorporate it into the design of the next gun. Thanks!

j7RJQwz.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looks way better, handle still looks small like it would snap off from all that weight. Maybe if you continue the handle straight up to meet the back of the gun, filling in that empty space and making it look a bit more bulky and sturdy. Keep in mind you still want to be able to wrap a hand around it though :/ so I unno

I get you can't work on the highpoly for ever, so next project I advise you plan your design in more detail before moving onto modelling. Especially detail in areas the player will see. The areas of this gun that look the best will be seen the least in game play.

Lowpoly time! : )
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, now the handle was bothering me, so I extended it up. Starting low poly now, or I'll never finish XD

5l6Yn1X.jpg
  • CandyStripes05
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    vEp25Dz.jpg

Still continuing this! I made further tweaks to the high poly and got a bake going. Low poly came in at around 6000 triangles. This was the first time I went from Max>Xnormal>Handplane>Ndo2>Knald.

I'm happy with how it looks in UDK, though I can't get it to look right in Marmoset (which is why i just have UDK screenshots). The parts of the mesh that are using mirrored geometry have inverted normals (stacked uvs, moved over 1 UV space, though one will look correct and the other part inverted). Can't think of anything to fix the issue.

In the meantime, onward to texturing!
  • elykk
    I'm a little noob, but, can't you just collapse the mirrored geometry in order to have one unique piece ? Maybe It will solve your issues (maybe)

Beside, the gun looks great, but for your next guns, try to make a more comfortable handle, with more height at the rear end of the gun (I don't know if I'm understandable, my english is far from perfect, sorry)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comment Elykk! I understood fine :P This is the first time for me designing a gun, so I understand that there are probably a lot of areas that could be improved for next time :)

Finished most of the diffuse and just did a quick spec/gloss. Still have more to tweak on the textures, including adding some scratches into the spec.

v7HIdjA.jpg
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    Continued with the texturing! Worked mostly in the spec and gloss lately. I think I'm getting close to calling this complete.

3Di4ftZ.jpg
  • C86G
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    I like the color scheme. My latest work uses the same. But your yellow is a little too bright. I think it shouldn´t be brighter than you brightest (non painted) metal parts.

+ where´s the other part of the iron sight (is it called notch?) ?
  • Deforges
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    Good start. I think you should work a lot on material definition.

Look at a real painted revolver

tee4953.jpg
    The metal is rough, has chipped paint specks scrapes on the edges and NOISE. Metal is not about leaving detail out, it's about having detail subtly added together in smart ways.

9_Colts.jpg

This is a light colored revolver with very little wear and looks great just by having some small soft scratches around the edges and a good basemetal.

sci_fi_revolver__breakdown__by_bringmeasunkist-d5rc7hm.jpg

the easiest way to make anything look good is to look at the materials being used in a similar way and emulate them.
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Love the design on that. :)
  • mospheric
    Offline / Send Message
    I already spent too long on this, and I'm going to have to call it done. Definitely learned a lot throughout the process :P Thanks for the help! Looking forward to doing an environment next.

82GzkXP.jpg
  • Grubber
    Offline / Send Message
    Grubber polycounter lvl 14
    It turned out great! Congrats on finishing. Will there be second one? I hope so.