Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 6

Replies

• rockguy
    kadeschui : Whoops my mistake, thanks for noticing.

ProjectEagleeye: spot on with the screens , photoshop has some basic shapes great for this.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Rockguy, you should make sure you have less 90 degree angels or really loose edges for the bake.
  • rockguy
    AlexCatMasterSupreme: Thanks, was doing some test and the edges screwed my bake, I will fix that.

In case any need this, a tutorial for baking.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/how-to-bake-a-flawless-normal-map-in-3ds-max/
  • LensFlare
    Offline / Send Message
    LensFlare polycounter lvl 7
    rockguy wrote: »
    AlexCatMasterSupreme: Thanks, was doing some test and the edges screwed my bake, I will fix that.

In case any need this, a tutorial for baking.

http://cg.tutsplus.com/tutorials/autodesk-3d-studio-max/how-to-bake-a-flawless-normal-map-in-3ds-max/

Oh hell yes, I am definitely in need of something like this. Thank you!
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    @kadeschui - Haha, thanks man! If anything I have the feeling I'm rushing too much but hopefully the end product will turn out alright.

@ProjectEagleeye - Thanks man, you've already helped by making a good reference point to look at, so that's already helpful. :) I think I got an idea how to do it, it's a mix of overlaying a grid over a world map, using blending modes like glow and using the same techniques for the dots and logos. I'll give it a crack and if it looks terrible then I'll keep bashing at it until it looks good.

Got my texture done for the Sonar Station, I'm calling it done at least anyway. Feel free to give any criticism about the model, texture or presentation method, and I'll come back to it and give it those tweaks to make it look pimping. Please forgive the wire view as well, I'm not sure how to get a good wire frame shot going in CryEngine, the way I'm doing it now is just overlaying the wireframe viewport over an AO map, but if there's a better way please tell me. Anyways, time to start figuring out what to work on next! :)

3SHWzwF.jpg

9obh4FW.jpg
  • Alismuffin
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Finally going to participate in one of these.

Everyones stuff is looking wicked so far! Great job "noobs"

Here's the beginnings of the blockout. Please let me know anything Ive messed up already! Thanks!

NRNtXGY.png

KCT01s6.png

9sEkAfW.png
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    I made some progress for the main command board, normal + ao baked. No real texture work except for the screen with the map.(Render in UDK static mesh editor)

139c91de5c77e05ef9bd99994626b.jpg
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    northamericam.jpg

You should animate those in UDK!
  • Kerroh
    Wow this /does/ look difficult. Good luck everyone :D Look forward to seeing the work.
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    @Kerroh, thus far the hardest part is the camera matching. Last night I restarted, twice. Now I believe that I've got it all sorted so its full steam ahead!

Cheers~
  • aliasbane
    I kind of want to take part but I am not sure I could do this any justice what so ever....
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    This is pretty much the first scene I've ever made, trying to match a camera to the scene really got me off to a bad start so I've started again! :D Might have bitten off more than I can chew but it's worth a try.

I'd modelled a few bits and pieces in Maya but it was all a bit off scale-wise and getting it into Unreal was going to be a nightmare, so I've started over and tried to make a map first. Here's a couple of my scribbles so far, any help gratefully received. :)

Wcfbrko.png

12qSAnh.png
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    JustinSlick polycounter lvl 6
    Novian wrote: »
    @Kerroh, thus far the hardest part is the camera matching. Last night I restarted, twice. Now I believe that I've got it all sorted so its full steam ahead!

Cheers~

OK, I have a question... It seems like a lot of people share the opinion that Novian stated, but I'm not sure I really understand why everyone considers camera matching to be so important in something like this?

Like, I understand why camera matching is critical in visual effects, where you're comping live action footage with CG. Everything has to be pixel precise or it all falls apart.

But the point of developing for a real-time engine is that the player is going to experience it actively, right? And move through it?

So it seems to me that the important thing is to get the proportions and sizes of the room and props correct, with the camera angle being relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Please correct me if I'm off base! I'm just trying to understand why people seem so preoccupied with matching the exact angle and focal length of the concept art when at the end of the day it seems like the last thing a game developer should be worried about. Or am I misunderstanding the term "camera matching?"
  • Benton
    OK, I have a question... It seems like a lot of people share the opinion that Novian stated, but I'm not sure I really understand why everyone considers camera matching to be so important in something like this?

Like, I understand why camera matching is critical in visual effects, where you're comping live action footage with CG. Everything has to be pixel precise or it all falls apart.

But the point of developing for a real-time engine is that the player is going to experience it actively, right? And move through it?

So it seems to me that the important thing is to get the proportions and sizes of the room and props correct, with the camera angle being relatively unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Please correct me if I'm off base! I'm just trying to understand why people seem so preoccupied with matching the exact angle and focal length of the concept art when at the end of the day it seems like the last thing a game developer should be worried about. Or am I misunderstanding the term "camera matching?"

I think the people doing this are trying to replicate the image, and some people are replicating the scene.
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    but I'm not sure I really understand why everyone considers camera matching to be so important in something like this?

I am completely agreeing with you.

Preparation is important, yes, but in the end, even if the proportions are not 100% the same, I don't think it is that big of a deal. Worst case scenario, we can still rescale a bit. We are working with a real-time game engine, which is very agile, so we should use that particularity.

Even if you have to do this for a company, no one will really care if the scale is a bit different, if the room is a bit longer , or the table a bit higher. (Especially knowing that we are working with a picture... If we had some real measurement for mocap or whater yeah, but in this situation.)
    I think that the intense work that some people seem to do on this block-out is a bit exagerated and a somehow.. a waste of time.

But in the same time, we are doing it for fun, so if some people really want to match the picture and the angle exactly, good for them ! It is also an interesting exercice !
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Blockout in Unity:
    MNC6_UnityWIP1.png

Got my blockout into Unity and started messing around with the lights. Still a LONG way to go on the lighting but overall not bad so far.

What do you guys think?

Cheers~
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian wrote: »
    Blockout in Unity:
    MNC6_UnityWIP1.png

Got my blockout into Unity and started messing around with the lights. Still a LONG way to go on the lighting but overall not bad so far.

What do you guys think?

Cheers~

Hey man, nice blockout! Lights are looking good to get a sense of space and feeling to the room. It's cool that you're using Unity as opposed to the norms of UDK or Cry as well, it's gonna be awesome seeing how this scene looks done in there. The only criticism I'd have is in that screen shot because the camera angle and maybe field of view is different to the concept, it's hard to say whether the perspective and proportions are right. I'd try to setting up a camera in Unity so you can always switch back to when you take screenshots of the white box getting decked out with finished assets so it's easy to match the concept. I'm not an expert so take my words with a grain of salt but at least that's my poor attempt to give advice, hope it helps. :)
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks Luke! I agree the angle and such will not be exactly the same, and I think most of that is due to the limitations of the Unity cameras versus the cameras in say Max.

I will of course do my best to get the perspective and angles as close as I can.

Back to work!

Cheers~
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustinSlick

If you look at the concept you see the "camera" as a large FOV. This means the appearance with the standard camera in a game engine will look different. When you try to be accurate with the scale of the objects you have to take this into consideration, so rebuilding it with the exact camera position and setup can help getting things right.

But of course it isn't the main goal...

Gotcha. That makes sense, figured it had to be something like that! Thanks.
    ng.aniki wrote: »
    Even if you have to do this for a company, no one will really care if the scale is a bit different, if the room is a bit longer , or the table a bit higher. (Especially knowing that we are working with a picture... If we had some real measurement for mocap or whater yeah, but in this situation.)
    I think that the intense work that some people seem to do on this block-out is a bit exagerated and a somehow.. a waste of time.

But in the same time, we are doing it for fun, so if some people really want to match the picture and the angle exactly, good for them ! It is also an interesting exercice !

Yeah, see that's pretty much where I stand on it too, but you're right... to each his own. Your war table is looking really good, btw. I'm curious, what's the approximate polycount for the LP mesh? I'm a pretty big noob with game stuff.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious, what's the approximate polycount for the LP mesh? I'm a pretty big noob with game stuff.
    Around 2000 triangles, that is a little bit big, but considering the space of the room (easy occlusion), and the fact that it is a main piece of art of this scene, it seems reasonable to me.

Big progress on the main control board/table, I still need to make the SpecPower/gloss map, and after that I think I will leave eventual tweaks for the end.

I did not follow the original concept to the letter. This is the main command board of the U.S.S.(United Federation Starfleet Ship) Condor. Part of the central command room. The battleship was put out of order and transformed into a museum, and this command board was decorated to commemorate the biggest commanders of all time that used to lead the whole fleet. (which explains the shiny look)

As an impromtu war took rage, they decided to re-use the old battleship.

7f5782bd7b568cd3e725f4d4e6b3e.jpg
    (Of course an ashtray and a big smoking cigar will have their place on the top of this board )
  • willy-wilson
    Offline / Send Message
    willy-wilson polycounter lvl 8
    Well I think i'm going to participate but in my own super low poly low spec way that i love if that's alright.

here's the screen for the center table i just finished.
    It doesn't look nearly as sharp in the browser but eh, you get the idea.

128x64

MC6_Pixelgent.png
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Here's what I've done so far,will start doing more tomorrow :D

oGyFkGU.png

Does the scale look good to you guys?
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    uberphoenix, I think you've got a really good start. Some things I see right away that might help:

- The long station along the back wall I think needs to be wider. Extend it some on both ends. It needs to be both more into the left (screen left) hand corner as well as more towards the right hand end. Look at the relational size between the screens above it and the space inbetween. You will find that the distance between them needs to be greater.

- The War Table appears to be a little too far to the right. In the concept, taking into account perspective, I beleive it rests pretty squarly center to the room.

- The Hanging Monitors could use with a bit more of an angle towards the camera.

- The Sonar stations (right hand wall) probably need to be a little bit longer.

- Finally the Door appears to be recessed in the image and yours, at the moment, appears to be pushed forward. It is however in a pretty good spot location wise. I would get the hallway back there roughed in and that should help you eyeball its final resting position.

Overall you've done quite well getting the major forms in there and the camera angle looks pretty good too.

Keep at it! Look forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers~
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    @Novian

Thanks for the crit!, much appreciated! I can see what you mean about the stuff you mentioned. As for the screens hanging from the ceiling, do you mean to tilt the top side more towards the camera? because at the moment they are pretty flat and not the same width as the ones in the concept.

I'll make the changes you suggested and post them later today :3

Thanks again!
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    uberphoenix,

Yes, the main screen hanging above the War Table, I think it should tilt towards the camera more.

Cheers~
  • Clyponyx
    Hello everyone,

As some may already know, this month's challenge is based on a Deus Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link DLC concept art. Since it is one of my favorite game, I took some time to reinstall it and look around for the room in question to take a few screenshots for myself and for everyone who's giving this challenge a shot.

Of course this is Eidos Montreal's team take on the concept and it is different but I figured this could help a few people out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/94727274@N06/sets/72157633171671053/

I hope you'll find them as useful as possible inspiration wise or even to clarify the dimensions as one of the screenshot is taken during a cutscene where Adam Jensen is shown right next to the main table.

If anyone wants me to take a screenshot of anything specific, feel free to ask, I'll probably look around the room some more while working on this anyway.

As for myself, I do not have anything interesting to show yet, but hopefully I'll have something by next week.

Good luck everyone!
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    well this is too tempting to pass up lol, been meaning to try my hand at sci fi going to get cracking tomorrow.
  • Guillermo3795
    I am using CryEngine and when I try to import a material from 3ds max into it it says there is an illumanating.exe missing.
    Can you guys help me?
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    @Clyponyx - Thanks for getting those screenshots from Deus Ex! Gonna help in getting their style down hehe.

Sorry for the lack of updates guys, progress has been slower than I wanted. Got the War Table finished, high poly baked to low poly and textured and put into game. Cred goes to ProjectEagleeye for providing an awesome base to start my map texture! This project is bigger than I initially thought, here I was thinking, "Oh this won't take long it's only a single room..." Anyways, if anyone wants to see texture sheets or high polys, just ask! That goes for any questions or critiques as well, lay em on me. :) I wasn't sure if you guys would get sick of seeing similar high polys and texture sheets again too so I just posted the finished asset with wires this time. Anyways, gonna keep chugging along to finish this project. :)

yIPFb64.jpg
  • JustinSlick
    Offline / Send Message
    I wasn't sure if you guys would get sick of seeing similar high polys and texture sheets again too so I just posted the finished asset with wires this time. Anyways, gonna keep chugging along to finish this project. :)

I can't speak for anyone else, but I can promise I won't get sick of seeing your posts! Your assets are looking awesome, and honestly looking at the progress shots from some of you more experienced guys is what will (hopefully :poly121:) help get guys like me to the end!

Also, @ng.anki - That control table turned out so sweet looking. I love the design decisions you made.
  • JoachimC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, first WIP on my version of the control room :) Not going for an exact replicate of the concept art, just a cool environment to walk around in, hopefully.

So, I've got a basic blockout and set up some materials in UDK for playing around with lighting. I've got the model and normals for the center console, but still need to properly texture it to finish it.

EDIT: Just noticed the floor tiles and center console don't line up properly. First on the list to fix.

TdRTzT3.jpg
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    @JustinSlick - Thanks man! I'm hardly experienced though, just a guy trying to make something that looks cool. If I can help you in any way, I'll be glad. :)

@ng.aniki - Haha, that's totally Battlestar Galactica man! I love Battlestar!
    JoachimC wrote: »
    Alright, first WIP on my version of the control room :) Not going for an exact replicate of the concept art, just a cool environment to walk around in, hopefully.

So, I've got a basic blockout and set up some materials in UDK for playing around with lighting. I've got the model and normals for the center console, but still need to properly texture it to finish it.

EDIT: Just noticed the floor tiles and center console don't line up properly. First on the list to fix.

TdRTzT3.jpg

Hey good start dude! The scene is starting to come together nicely, can see the console and the floor forms shaping up. :) I think you've already noticed this, but I think needs more lights to properly define the materials correctly. Like for example those metal panels on the floor aren't catching the light as well as they can, so making a specular map and ramping the specular and glossiness as on that will help it pop more. Even then, if you set up a shader to take the diffuse, greyscale it then have parameters to adjust the contrast and brightness you could get away with making a specular map, though it'd be better if you did. Hourence has a great tutorial on that, scroll down to Specular Generation. http://www.hourences.com/tutorials-ue3-texture-optimization/. Give it a shot and if it looks terrible, then ignore my criticism! :P
  • Animesh
    Here is the panels planes with the Normal Map applied.
    panel_NM_preview.png
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Alrighty Everyone. Good news and some bad.

Bad News

UDK is not being be friend right now. I am having two problems. I can't seem to save my package in my scene in UDK.

Secondly I CAN import my meshes and textures in the UDK material editor, however I CAN NOT bring the mesh into my scene.

I think that my two problems are linked. Maybe. I am using 2012 July Build of UDK. I also found that I didn't download UDK into C:Programs/etc/etc. I just brought UDK into just C:
    which I think may cause problems??? I am still pretty knew to UDK in general. Also is it good practice to keep all your meshes and textures and what not in the UDK package fold under C:Program/etc/etc VS just anywhere?

Good news. I have a WIP of one of my floor panels in 3ds max with xoliul shader which this is my first time using it. I have known about it, but I was using Maya at the time and I have switched to 3ds max cause of work. So it's great.

I have a few of the floor tiles ready to texture but only this one I am textured to the degree I want it.

@lukepham101 Moving along nicely. Have you put any scrapes or dirt yet? Or are you going to? Looking Great. Can't wait to see more.

@ng.aniki Really nice Bronze or Gold there for the center table. Love'n the theme you gave it. I hope mine can be as good. lol

Thanks @Clyponyx for posting the level shoots for all of us here.
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    Zero Strike - The good way to managing your files and packages, is first, you make a blank new map.Then save this to udk/udkgame/contant/maps/your projects name.then open the content browser, and when you import your assets,type the packages name (what you want,models,textures,etc).you will see, it creates this package outside of everything.no problem, right click on the package, and save.save it to the same folder as your scenefile.now this package is relocated to your project folder, and working good.
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, I think that you cannot save prefabs, textures, etc, in the package named like your map in content browser, which is created automatically. I think it is made only to save render data (Lightmap, etc), and other content like that. So to not mix them up, use another name than you map's name for your package.
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    @ZeroStrike - Thanks man. :) I tried to be subtle and put a minor level of scratches and grime onto the asset, I didn't want it to be in your face over the top grunge because I was thinking this is a relatively clean room where not too much damage would happen. Hmm, I might have to go back to it later so people notice.

Not much progress tonight, got the monitors at the top done with a passable texture, I'll probably come back to this when I'm less tired and I'll re-jig it a bit. A lot of little adjustments to the scene, such as materials in the scene, along with little minor tweaks to just general placement and proportions of things, still got plenty to do though. I'd say the only maybe finished assets that are going to be final image are the War Table and maybe the Sonar Station. Floors, monitors, everything else still needs plenty of tweaking to get it looking right. Anyways, hopefully more updates soon. :)

JYXg1cj.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Loving the war table. Nice level of detail in your maps.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    @luke, can we see your base models (with wires) please? without the texure. See the buttons on your war table, are they normal mapped on? or is there actual geometry there.
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    @luke, can we see your base models (with wires) please? without the texure. See the buttons on your war table, are they normal mapped on? or is there actual geometry there.

You can see on the previous page he posted the wire version: http://i.imgur.com/yIPFb64.jpg
    They are normal mapped !
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    @ProjectEagleeye

Two things.

One. "To save your imported meshs, materials etc. you need to right-click on the project folder in the Content browser and hit save. The map is saved seperatly over the main menu."

I know this. Just, it's not the letting me Save. I get the error I uploaded. Also, The Load Full Button below the Save button in the content browser is not active.

Two. "To add a mesh simply drag & drop out of the content browser. You might need to rescale the mesh to make it visible."

I try dragging the mesh out from the content browser, however either its not visible like you said. I need to rescale or its just not letting me do it. I'll look into it more when I get home from work.

@Obscura

So is this having two saves. One of your package in the root udk/udkgame/contant/maps/your projects name and the other is where our build content is. Or are you building your project in the root folder?
    Either way I'll try it out.

@ng.aniki

Well. I think that is why you have the groups in the content browser for your package like Mesh, Textures, Materials, etc? I think.

@lukepham101

I really like how your scene is comin along. I would say that your textures look like they don't have any scratches. They may be too subtle "for me", but then again I always seen to be "heavy handed" with my texturing. So keep going. I should learn to be more subtle sometimes. I really like the lighting so far in your scene. Do you have glow maps from your screens? or is that just a light in engine? or a mix?

Thanks for helping me out with my problem.
  • uberphoenix
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki wrote: »
    You can see on the previous page he posted the wire version: http://i.imgur.com/yIPFb64.jpg
    They are normal mapped !

Ah, but that one is at an odd angle :P. Can see the high polys of them if you did any, would like to see how you made it :3

EDIT - nvm, they are on the other page :)
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Hi ng.Aniki.

Could you post a bit of info on how you set up your shader for the top of the table.? The red glow and reflections and everything looks great.

What about showing texture flats?

Thanks!
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike wrote: »
    @ng.aniki

Well. I think that is why you have the groups in the content browser for your package like Mesh, Textures, Materials, etc? I think.

Yes, but the package with the name of the level, that is automatically created, is reserved only to the concent generated by the engine for your level.
    You need to save your staticmeshes, textures, etc, in another package. And in this one you can make the groups to order them. Just don't use the package that already exist with the name of the map.

When you import just change the name of the package on the first input box, and save imediately this newly created package otherwise you won't see your content when building the level.

@synergy11: sure, no problem, I will make all this, and edit this message.

@Luke: thanks yours looks cool too, I am waiting to see the rest !

@JustinSlick: Thanks ! Do you plan to participate and post your progress ? Feedbacks is the best way to progress !

Edit:
    So here are the textures, for synergy11 :efefbf633548d00602db05457140a.jpg

The shader is pretty basic:

Diffuse ->
    Lerp A -> My diffuse texture
    Lerp B -> CubeMap part from another udk package (Texture Sample < Vector Transform < Reflection Vector)
    Lerp Alpha -> My reflection mask

Emissive ->
    Multiply1 A -> Int: 3
    Multiply1 B -> Multiply2 A -> Diffuse texture
    ____________Multiply2 B -> Emissive mask

The rest is as basic as possible. I made a colored specular to give a slight tint to the whole specular and also for the gold that looks usually better with a colored spec. I could maybe have used just an alpha channel for the specular and mutiply it with the diffuse to have it tinted, but it brings problems (eg darker spec where diffuse is darker :/ )
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    @ng.aniki That makes sense.

If worse come to worse I'll just remake the udk package and scene. Since I already have the blockout from udk into 3ds max I really don't need it that much.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    Still in the blocking out phase, wanting to get the placement and base block outs of piece correctish. So I have a question, do you guys think the window is in the same place as in the concept? I can't tell if the sonar boxes are covering the window somewhat?

Here's an image of my scene explaining it better

TxKeFad.png

Left side showing the wall, with the right side being my camera view.

Here is a full view of my scene as it is at the moment. Trying to block out the window into the wall at the moment. Would I need to make it modular?

xzUfKfC.png

Any advice atm?
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    @uberphoenix: I think you are good to go. Close enough for me to get your hands dirty and start making the prefabs !

I have the same, the room a little deeper where the door is (Maybe I will make it even deeper to have a less claustrophobic feeling), the sonar a bit in front of the window/radar glass (It is less in front of the radar glass for me).

Yes, maybe you should make the window modular/a different prefab from the wall so you can tweak it's place when you will progress.
  • nick2730
    Man taht table is uber awesome wish i could do that. Looks great

Luke can you show the texture sheets for that bag boy ? I went back and looked is the high poly / LP somewhere ?

How did you bake it out, do you use groups to create a base color map so you can isolate areas out ?