Monthly Noob Challenge 6

Replies

• AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot!

Here's another quick update!

c0GvWJL.jpg

Hope to have this done by early next week. Hopefully cryengine won't give me any fuss..
  • Esselle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    Ok so basically my specular maps are too dark. Thank you :)

And... how to do a proper light setting? At the moment i have 2 lights (1 red 1 blue) for each ceiling light
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depends on the program you are using! My scene is using cryengine, and the lighting process is much more straightforward than UDK. If you are using UDK, you need to make sure you have a second UV channel for each of your models for their lightmaps. They have to be 100% unique UVs(No overlapping or mirroring) and need to have as few seams as possible. Breaking your UVs for baking does not matter in the lightmaps.

As far as actually setting up the lighting in your scene, I would say that is mostly just trial and error... try to see where the lighting is coming from in the concept and then match it in your scene. Once you do that you can probably just tinker with color, falloff, radius, ect to make it look right. Don't be afraid to add random lights around the scene for "faking" bounced light and ambient light.

Good luck!
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    Some progress, made the low poly + high + bake of the monitors, now let's start some texturing.

6a570f29b6baf8d5e1eca40073379tt.jpg
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks great! Looks very gritty and grounded.

I love your hanging monitor mounts, too.
  • tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeesh. Falling off of this project was not originally on my itinerary, but I guess that's a potential side effect of going from unemployed to working hours wholly incompatible with previous sleep schedules. I think a week after the official end of the challenge if probably as good a time as any to move out of Hi-Poly modeling and try to start getting everything game ready. Still missing the models for some of the greebly bits for the wall and ceiling, but having to make those bits up is really slowing me down.

8719780740_18a092c68c_b.jpg
    8719780706_e9043cbd97_b.jpg

Started to work out some of the ceiling props, lights and HVAC and whatnot. I'll probably try to not get off to such a late start tomorrow and see about knocking out a few other little, simple props like some pipes before I start making my low-polies.
  • ng.aniki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    @AtlusZMH: Thank you sir ! Yours is looking nice too, I can't wait to see the progression !

Some progress for my scene:
    21a4e71cf15ce57cf639f188e2f56tt.jpg
    There are some console there on 3 of the monitor screens, they are all scrolling like expected, this is bringing cool life to the scene !
    I also put some interferences on the sceens, like with old crt monitors, some brighter/darker lines slowly scolling up or down.

(It looks cool in game but I don't know why Fraps is doing complete crazy stuff lately, saving in 30 files at the same time. So I cannot record.)
  • AtlusZMH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that's coming out great! Keep going! :D

Mine took a few days longer than I would have liked, but it's done!

mQrYxD5.jpg
    aGrlIfS.jpg
    IOZMGsh.jpg
    j8YS9kt.jpg

I learned a TON on this project! Especially Cryengine.

I am open to crits, but I am eager to start the next noob challenge, so I may not come back to this one for a few weeks.