Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Noob Challenge 6

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
Welcome to the Monthly Noob Challenge 6!
HWal6qu.jpg

High-Res

RULES:

Please read all the rules.

This may seem like it's pretty complicated, and if you are starting out it can be overwhelming, so take it piece by piece. This can be broken down into a segments. Think about what will be unique, what will be tiled, what kinda textures you'll need to make, just plan before you go. Set your standards high for your work, do your best.

PLEASE look at the ref, and work hard to get the blockout right. Take your time before you dive into it and plan, this will make your life easier.

All that matters is that you learn and give and get advice and are willing to be critiqued.

So here are the specific rules:

Must make your own textures, no stealing, we can't keep you from it, but the goal is to learn, even tileables, I mean you can take someone else's image and make it tileable, that's fine.

You must use a game engine OBVIOUSLY. UDK or Cryengine will probably be the most used.

You must try your best and finish as much as you can in this month.

Post what you are working on in this thread so that way it's a more centralized place for advice and critique and we don't have 1000 disjointed threads littering the forums.

Well that's about it, if you think the rules should be changed let us know.

I would strongly encourage you to go and look at other games and see how they make their assets as well as get concept art to give it your own feel, but it must stay very close to the concept, if not super close.

Please stay away from Ddo, yeah, it's great if you know what you're doing, and for a production pipeline supplement, but other than that, please don't use it. Ndo2 is allowed. This was talked about in the other thread, please don't complain.

Have fun!

PS: I am extremely familiar with Cryengine and can answer probably any question you happen to have when using it. Furthermore ask anything to anyone here, combined there is a wealth of knowledge.

PSSSS:
OPEN TO EVERYONE!

GOOD LUCK

Replies

• r3spawn
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Excellent! Good luck everyone and have fun. Can't wait to get started.
  • rockguy
    All right then, good luck.
  • Zepic
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    All righty, good choice of concept ;) I just might participate, looks like a reasonable piece to do in a month's time.
  • josh.0
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
  • rockguy
    Mmmmm... the floor. How many agree it should be divided in 3 tileables or more?
  • ansh0488
    Offline / Send Message
    ansh0488 polycounter lvl 11
    I'm having trouble with setting 3ds max for UDK workflow..
    I'm working with these settings
    System Unit : 1unit = 0.75 inches
    Display unit : Decimal inches

Still when i export any asset to UDK, its scaled down..
    Wat am i doing wrong??
  • KennyTies
    I will hopefully join in on this. I see at least 3 tileable options rockguy.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 wrote: »
    @AlexCatMasterSumpreme Anyone ever use Unity here?

The fuck is Unity? Just kidding, I don't know if anyone has, but go for it! I personally don't like it but hey it's up to you;)
  • AbKI
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    Total noob here, I'll give this a go! :D
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    @josh.0: I use and will be using for this, unity. Let me know if you have questions and we can work them out together.

Cheers~
  • tough boy
    I just subscribed to this community and a noob challenge appears, must be destiny! :D I'll try my best!
  • Esselle
    Offline / Send Message
    Esselle polycounter lvl 10
    I thought to use 2 tileable textures for the floor...

1zebkll.jpg
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
    Hey guys, this concept really inspired me and I've never done a Sci Fi scene before so I wanted to have a bash at it. :) Just posting some WIPS of the texture sheet that I'm going to be using for the floors, and trims as well. Might undergo some changes some later, provided if I'm unhappy with the way it looks. I'm using Parallax Occlusion Mapping wizardry in Cry to achieve the plane look so that it has depth but it's only a plane. Hopefully soon I'll be able to show more stuff soon, like my block out with lights and all, plus some more sci fi goodness! Feel free to critique anything to help it look better, criticism is welcome! I'll be posting more soon!

scifipanelrenderjpg.jpg
  • Setes
    Awww, such a perfect noob challenge for my interests, this goddamn exam D:
  • ZeroBigSis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Oh sweet concept. In the middle of another project atm - damnit.
    @ansh0488 - re 3dsmax to UDK units - use generic units in 3dsmax as 1 generic unit (max) = 1 unit (UDK), a 6ft character is usually 96 units high for comparison
  • JoachimC
    Offline / Send Message
    JoachimC polycounter lvl 7
    Alright, another first timer on the environment challenge here. Gonna give it a go :) Let's hope work and other projects don't take up too much of my free time.
  • Fnitrox
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    oooh this concept looks good!

i might join in even if i don't know how much i can do with all the deadlines coming up : /
  • IArdentChimeraI
    Guess I can try this too... Currently working on the Escape also. Here's a WIP of the things I have now. The center is just a placeholder for the time being

rYPxAyU.png
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroStrike polycounter lvl 8
    Like I was saying in the concept part of this month challenge, my name is Ryan Griffin. Nice to meet everyone. So here is my concept block.

I am going to be doing alot of things that I haven't done before. I have been lurking in the forums and am finally ready to try a new. It's actually my first time doing alot of techniques and theories.

Things I am going to use/do differently then I have before

Number 1: Use Concept Art as reference for the overall design of the environment.

Number 2: Block out in UDK BSP to get scaling for 3ds max.

Number 3: Go from high to low in 3ds max.

Number 4: Complete within the time of the challenge of one month. And Step up schedule and stick to it.

Number 5: Do better High Poly for hardsurface then I have been before.

Number 6: Do better Spec for Metal then I have before.

So Again Good luck to everyone and thank you for having these contests.
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    So the BSP was not as hard as I thought it was going to be. But I was looking at the concept and to me it seems like the Human scale or 32x32x96 is small in comparison to the concept. Or at at least how I think it is from my first block out. Maybe I just need to fix some of the proportions with my block out. I'm not sure. When I go in-game the characters seem like at only chest height and not eye to eye with me.

But tell me what you think.
  • Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, this concept really inspired me and I've never done a Sci Fi scene before so I wanted to have a bash at it. :) Just posting some WIPS of the texture sheet that I'm going to be using for the floors, and trims as well. Might undergo some changes some later, provided if I'm unhappy with the way it looks. I'm using Parallax Occlusion Mapping wizardry in Cry to achieve the plane look so that it has depth but it's only a plane. Hopefully soon I'll be able to show more stuff soon, like my block out with lights and all, plus some more sci fi goodness! Feel free to critique anything to help it look better, criticism is welcome! I'll be posting more soon!

scifipanelrenderjpg.jpg

This looks great luke! Did you model the high poly ir did you use nDo2?
  • nbac
    Offline / Send Message
    nbac polycounter lvl 9
    the answer is in the picture i guess ...
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chase - Hey thanks man! Yeah, I modelled it using sub-d goodness, it's just habit to do it through modelling because the ironic thing is at work we don't have nDo so I have to make all my high poly stuff in Max and doing it the old fashioned way. I could have done it in nDo but I guess I just more comfortable doing it this way since I knew what I was wanted exactly and what I wanted it to look like.

Did some more work on my blockout, started filling it out the floor with the texture sheet I created before, still working out a lot of things though, lighting, colours, etc. Many of the textures and objects are placeholders just to get the feeling and space of the room, like the main console in the middle. I've got my secondary console high poly done too, just need to get it up to unwrap the low poly and bake that all down surface information down. Will hopefully be able to post some more progress soon! :)

Coakjbz.jpg

S7WB69n.jpg
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Luke, Looks great so far. :)
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    I will participate too !
    I made some quick block-out, and now I am on the high poly version of the main table/command board !

c6e228abbd7c8f9936e62a46b0e8ftt.jpg

(Some geometry is floating on purpose, for the normal map bake. I never really used this before, it is a lot easier to make, but when I will get to AO bake it might be less fun...)
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    MNC6_ColorBlockOutWIP1.jpg

Been working on my modular part breakdown. I've got measurements and all too. Will post those later.

Cheers~
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    @ ProjectEagleeye

Are you talking about changing the characters scale or the environment scale to the character. Or Both?

Thanks
  • reckzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    reckzilla polycounter lvl 8
    Well, I've seen some insanely talented artists on this thread... Now I have to compete. You guys as my inspiration.
  • josh.0
    Offline / Send Message
    josh.0 polycounter lvl 5
    @ Novian

Awesome, I'm gonna start on my stuff this weekend. This is pretty much my first go at using a game engine, so it should be interesting, but I've watched a lot of tutorial videos, so I'm hoping I won't be too lost.

A lot of awesome progress already going on in this thread already!
  • rockguy
    Not much to show right now except for the color breakdown , doing high poly of the floor right now.

Colorblockout_zps702511aa.jpg
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Maths...Deadmau5? XD Watch so much UMF right.

Again Maths:

Room Probably Too Wide and Too Long, Maybe Too High. After looking up how high one story is. It's 10ft

608uu Wide 38ft

896uu Long 56ft

192uu High 12ft

Human

32uu 2ft Wide

32uu 2ft Long

96uu 6ft High

Main Center Desk/Table

160uu Wide 10ft wide

352uu Long 22ft long

48uu High 3ft high

I know this is 2x2x6ft which is the correct height. Just in the camera height in game looks too hieght compared to the character which is currently 6ft so is the camera hieght like 6.5ft or 7ft? Also FOV could also be affecting it somehow. I am just using the perspective and not a udk camera. Which I should probably do cause of the fixed angle of the concept art.

I'll take another shot at the proportions again tonight.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay rockguy you're back!
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    ZeroStrike wrote: »
    Maths...Deadmau5? XD Watch so much UMF right.

Again Maths:

Room Probably Too Wide and Too Long, Maybe Too High. After looking up how high one story is. It's 10ft

608uu Wide 38ft

896uu Long 56ft

192uu High 12ft

Human

32uu 2ft Wide

32uu 2ft Long

96uu 6ft High

Main Center Desk/Table

160uu Wide 10ft wide

352uu Long 22ft long

48uu High 3ft high

I know this is 2x2x6ft which is the correct height. Just in the camera height in game looks too hieght compared to the character which is currently 6ft so is the camera hieght like 6.5ft or 7ft? Also FOV could also be affecting it somehow. I am just using the perspective and not a udk camera. Which I should probably do cause of the fixed angle of the concept art.

I'll take another shot at the proportions again tonight.

Change the game type in the world settings to UTDeathmatch (I know that one works for sure with the scale you have).
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    @ m4dcow

Thank you that fixed my in-game viewing problem. I know it was a simple fix. Now I'll just adjust my proportions and I think I should be good to start modeling. The reason I am doing all this is because in the past I have had trouble with proportions so I want to get it right from the beginning.

Thanks.
  • uberphoenix
    Offline / Send Message
    uberphoenix polycounter lvl 8
    Just saw this now at 3am, so had a pop at blocking out the scene.

j6xR8cy.png

Is the room a rectangle? or is there an off cut for the door area? as when I placed the door block, I had no room for the window.

I think someone said they would post a layout they was doing? can't remember who it was.
  • Animesh
    This looks like a fun challenge. Here is the my scene blocked out.
    blockout_cic_room_01.png
  • R0gu3
    Okay @Rockguy, I saw you do this in the other challenge as well, and a few other artist do it as well... What is the color breakdown used for? I don't understand...
  • bigpunn71
    Offline / Send Message
    bigpunn71 polycounter lvl 5
    Im working on a new scene right now, but i'll do my best to make time for this.
  • ZeroStrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Alrighty after talking it over with some friends and some fine tuning, I think I have my block in UDK. It looks alot better then it did. Tell me what you think.

I'll be starting the HP.
  • steppan
    Offline / Send Message
    steppan polycounter lvl 8
    ansh0488 wrote: »
    I'm having trouble with setting 3ds max for UDK workflow..
    I'm working with these settings
    System Unit : 1unit = 0.75 inches
    Display unit : Decimal inches

Still when i export any asset to UDK, its scaled down..
    Wat am i doing wrong??

as far as I'm aware you want to set your Unit settings to 1 unit = 2cm as this is how UDK is set up. Try a simple 2m cube and make sure it's right :)
  • ng.aniki
    Offline / Send Message
    ng.aniki polycounter lvl 13
    I am coming across a small problem, for the main table/command board prefab.

I made the highpoly, the lowpoly, I exploded both high and lowpoly for the bake, made the cage and baked the normal map, everything is fine.

My problem now is to bake the ao for this model. I have to use the un-exploded version of the model to have the proper shadows between each part. But now I had to make a new cage and this is bringing glitches everywhere becose the cage is not exactly the same as before, the AO and the NM are not perfectly at the same place.

(To explode the mesh I put a keyframe on frame 0 and 1, 0 with the clean prefab and 1 the exploded parts. Which I had to merge to create the cage. If I separate the cage I think it would not work because each vertexes would not have same id after I merge it down and it would break the bake completely)

What is the solution then ? I should have backed normal map for each pieces independently from each other without moving them and therefor have the exact same cage for ao and normal ? (But then lost much time for all the bakes and then combining all the textures together)

((I am on Maya, and I am baking NM/Ao with Xnormal))
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    @Novian - Thanks man! :) Still hacking away at it to try and make it look better.

Not much progress tonight unfortunately with those real life obligations getting in the way, bah! Stayed up late though to get some progress done on that secondary console. Baked the high poly down onto the low poly, imported into Cry and working on the texture now. It's 2:30am and I think I'll call it a night and just call this the first pass of the texture, still gonna add screens, labels, scratches, etc. Hopefully in the next update I show you guys, it'll look a lot sweeter with all those nifty subtle details to make it shine :)

fyB0pG8.jpg
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Blockout:
    MNC6_BlockOutWIP1_2.jpg
    Notes:
    MNC6_Notes1.jpg

Got this block out done last night. At the moment I am attempting to match the camera angle and position.

Overall measurements are:

Total room (feet): 8.5(h) x 16(w) x 18(d)

These were my original thoughts on the size of the room
    however I have found that the room needed widening on the
    right to accommodate the hallway in the back and establish
    additional room between the War Table and the Sonar Station

The room is now approx. 17.5 feet wide.

War Table - 30(h) x 48(w) x 96(d)

I akin this to the approx. size and shape of pool table.
    Based upon rendering the blockout at the same resolution as
    the concept I find that the War Table needs to be shorter and
    wider. I will make adjustments to this effect.

Sonar Stations (right side of room) - 32-36(h)(slope) x 62(w) x 18(d)

These are 32-36 high taking into account the slope. It looks
    like at their lowest point they are just higher than the War Table.

I also agree that the floor can be created from various modular parts. I had a very similar thought to others and am using 4 parts (A-D) to build the floor. See the notes image for a breakdown of the parts.

What do you all think?
    Thank you for any feedback.

Cheers for now!~
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Some brilliant work on all of the working measurements Novian.

But i cant help but feel like the ratio is slightly off in terms of your character representation.

It seems that some of the control panels on the equipment around the room would come up to his groin area. Also some of the screens to the left would mean that the operators point of view would be level with the top of the screen.

Terrible ergonomics for a cic :P

But as i said. All correspond really well and the blockout is looking spot on.
  • Novian
    Offline / Send Message
    Novian polycounter lvl 5
    Lankus,

Thanks very much! I appreciate your feedback. I will reattack on the proportions and look at raising up the stations around the room. You make some excellent points.

ProjectEagleeye,

Umm, *Right Click > Save As* much? lol Incredible work! I myself am putting together a giant list of resources for everyone including a lot of the sci-fi tech interface type stuff.

Well done guys. Keep at it!

Cheers~
  • rockguy
    Highpoly of the floor so far

Floors01_zps9119a646.jpg
  • kadeschui
    Offline / Send Message
    kadeschui greentooth
    Great work guys! I'll post up my progress this evening.

@rock guy - looks great! one suggestion is that if those screws are on the floor, they'd probably be flush with the metal panels. love the detail!

@lukepham101 - slow down man! hahaha looks great, i'm envious of your speed !
  • lukepham101
    Offline / Send Message
    ProjectEagleeye, that looks awesome man! Dude now you've left me with 2 scenarios, when I make my screen textures it's totally gonna be like A: I just went right click, save as and slapped it onto my model and option B: It won't look as good as yours haha. :P Again, great texture work dude!
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    No worries at all Novian, i look forward to seeing the progress.

The work you guys have been posting has massively inspired me to attack my first polycount project.

Block out in progress... :)