Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Batman Beyond (from concept)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Cosmo85 polycounter lvl 5
Hello, my name is Marco. I haven't posted much work in the past though I would like to make it a habit for feedback and perspective in moving forward with future projects.

As the title says, I'm working on a Batman Beyond character model based off a concept a friend of mine, Guy Bourraine(http://tiguybou.blogspot.com/), drew up which I've included below.

I have already put in a good amount of time, and as such, I'm posting what progress I've made throughout the process up to this point. It's never too late for critique and I can't wait for you guys' comments and feedback.

Batman+Beyond+long+poster+web.jpg

Replies

• Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Below are the sculpts I made for the character. The lower image shows the original anatomy sculpt on the left, and the more-recent one on the right. Some feedback was that it was too short-looking.

More to come soon!

batBeyondGuy.jpg

sculptReProp.jpg
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an image of the re-topologized geometry with some of the suit accessories.

The suit detail seams and panels I modeled separately and I will upload some screens of those soon. I'll probably generate a normal map for the seams since they aren't much of an extrusion to begin with.

beyondSheet.jpg

beyondGrayb.jpg
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Looking good, I really like your execution from the concept! How are you thinking about handling the wings?
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will be rigging the body to make posing a bit simpler, though, for the wins, I'll probably just model them out and adjust the geometry to fit the pose. Not going too crazy with rigging on that end.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Looking really nice so far dude. Terry Mcginnis and the beyond series has always been one of my favourite arc's.

Nice to see an artist doing it justice!
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    proportions are looking very nice so far. This will be good!
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    More screens. I finished modelling out most of the details on the suit. I think I might need some on the head, and the ones on the hands, I'm adding soon. Any thoughts?

beyondModelled.jpg

beyondModelledB.jpg

beyondModelledC.jpg
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished modelling out the details. The wings might need some more loops, but that is the general look for now.

I will be rigging it for a pose to render in maya, but I was wondering how to best capture the detail from the padding on the suit. I tried a normal map with looks pretty good, but also tried creating a displacement map in Maya's transfer maps feature.

I want this to look like promotional art basically.

Any suggestions?

wingedOrtho.jpg

wingedFront.jpg

winged34.jpg

wingedRear.jpg
  • wester
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is a really cool looking project. Batman beyond is definitely one of my favorites so i had to put in my 2 cents.

I would suggest to not rely completely on cutlines everywhere to help define the costume. It looks like everything is just segmented up by cutlines. I would say that adding some form and mass to some of the shapes would help to not make the suit look so flat. Right now especially int eh chest area it's reading as if it is occupying the exact same space as the skin, like there is no space between the skin and the suit.

Quick paintover to help. The red and yellow help indicate the big forms, and then within those forms folllowing through with cutlines so that the design doestn get lost in the "spagetti string" effect. It would look REALLY cool to inflate someof those forms on his back as well. You have some really great shapes.

paintover_zpsba278bb8.jpg
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts! That's a pretty good idea, and I hadn't thought of that. Luckily I created a duplicate of the panels before I extruded/beveled them, and I can pull those up and see what it looks like with the edges from the panels I currently have now. I hope that makes sense. 8D

I don't know if I'll pull them out exactly as you drew, because of the bat symbol being flat, but I think the general idea is a good step forward. it helps emphasize the "mantle" of the upper body.

As of now, I was thinking of baking the details into a normal map, but I really wanted to try getting a displacement map out to render in hi quality and see all the nooks and crannies in detail. I just couldn't find a good way to bake one out without getting artifact issues.

Anyway, if that doesn't work, I'll just model out some of the edges in the lowpoly to res up the silhouette. I'll post an update soon!
  • Psyk0
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Love the concept & the anatomy / suit work you did, keep it up!
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's been a while since I posted, but been busy with other life crap that isn't cool 3d characters. Overall, I received some very cool feedback from people I know, as well as suggestions from other artists, but I decided to try and stick to the concept as much as possible.

These are some stills I took using Marmoset (I really do like it so). There are some tweaks here and there that I'll be making: I think the hands might be a bit big, but could just be me. Also going to try and spruce up the wings. They look a bit boring next to the body.

As always, I hope to hear back and get some cool feedback moving forward. I'm close to wrapping this up, and I started other personal projects since this one's close to being finished.

beyond_test3_Marm.jpg

pose1.jpg

pose2.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i actually didnt see this thread until the WAYWO post
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the final images. I got some really helpful feedback, but for the most part tried to stick to the concept as far as the suit was concerned. Still would like to hear people's thoughts.

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o1_r2_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o2_r2_1280.jpg
  • garriola83
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    this looks really cool but I just dont like the eye shape. its not....batman-y enough. they actually look rather somber.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Awesome job man, I love it! Only thing I would change is to make the surface detail more subtle. Its a little too noisy atm for my taste. But great execution here!
  • St4lis
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Cool design, but the wings look a bit.. off. They look more like the fairy wings children dress up in than batman wings you can fly with. Maybe make them bigger?
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 - Thanks, and yeah, I've gotten a couple critiques about the eyes. I'm tweaking them a bit, and I'll probably post something soon. I jump back and forth between projects, so I come back to previous work after a while and change things that bug me 8D

BradMyers82. - Thanks buddy. This is my first presentation since having started using Marmoset and it has a lot of fun settings to play with, but it's also easy to get carried away with certin things. 8). I personally kinda like it, but I'll probably end up toying with the settings some more. Thanks again!

St4lls - Yeah, props to my friend Guy for his concept. I more or less looked at the cartoon, and the concept he drew up to try and whip up a look for the wings which always felt like more of a visual element since the design in the cartoon was so simple. As far as gliding goes, they're more akin to the armpit webbings in Spidey's suit than actual wings a bird would use to flap. I'll probably look at it in another month, and find something that bugs me about it (as with everything I do 8D) Thanks for the feedback!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    redefine the material for his face man, black facepaint? sure, believable. black mesh that covers the face but follows the contours of the lips and everything? fuck no.
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Why not? It's the future! 8) I see what you mean though. It's supposed to be a spec effect, not really mesh. It's what Brad was talking about with the noise. Makes it look like a bump effect. 8/
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this took me a while, but needed to devote my time to other work. I really only tweaked the eyes to make them a bit more "slit"-like and make him a bit more threatening. Probably won't touch this anymore, so calling it done!

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o2_r4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o4_r1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mmf6e6ftuU1rmai74o3_r3_1280.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    preeetty cool.

not sure if I like the really stylized renders though. would love to see a more straight forward one with a 3 point lighting.
  • Cosmo85
    Offline / Send Message
    That's not a bad idea actually. I should do a few like that and it won't take too long to do. Thanks!
  • Kend
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    awesome job looks really cool, but I know alot of people have pointed this out but i feel the eyes could have a bit more expression and life to them or just something that makes them a little less plain, the eyes are ussually wat people look at first so to make them stand out in a way that defines the character is important, other than that really good job :D !!!
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Marked improvement mate and I’m loving it. I'd also like to expand on lotet suggestion and have some light bleeding through the wings from behind, similar to the way lights transmission through skin when you hold a flash light under your fingers, etc. It could add to it or it may seem too organic which you could scrap. I'd guess the latter but you never know till you try.

Looking forward to your next piece.